Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Weekend Upgrade

Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
xptical is on a distinguished road
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
Weekend Upgrade

Got the Scosche 2-DIN faceplate. Took the entire center console apart. The original color was silver. I wet-sanded all the parts down. I put some denatured alcohol in a spray bottle and used that to give the parts a final wipe-down.

The paint was black acrylic mixed 50/50 with Windex. After a few coats with wet-sanding between, I topped it off with 4 coats of Krylon matte clear.

The radio is a JVC KW-ADV794. Truly awesome radio. Touch screen, bluetooth, DVD player, audio/video in and out. Pretty much every bell and whistle you could ever want.

Well, almost. I wish it had built-in DTS 5.1. Or, for a car, maybe 6.2? Anyway...

The next step is to upgrade all the factory speakers and re-run the speaker cable with 12-gauge copper. After that, a woofer box in the bed and crossovers. Actually, I don't need crossovers because the radio has them built-in. Maybe a high-pass filter between the front and the tweeters.
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Upgrade-242020_2086882452669_1263402317_2551004_6679866_o.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
tanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtanzak88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Tanner
tanzak88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xptical View Post
Got the Scosche 2-DIN faceplate. Took the entire center console apart. The original color was silver. I wet-sanded all the parts down. I put some denatured alcohol in a spray bottle and used that to give the parts a final wipe-down.

The paint was black acrylic mixed 50/50 with Windex. After a few coats with wet-sanding between, I topped it off with 4 coats of Krylon matte clear.

The radio is a JVC KW-ADV794. Truly awesome radio. Touch screen, bluetooth, DVD player, audio/video in and out. Pretty much every bell and whistle you could ever want.

Well, almost. I wish it had built-in DTS 5.1. Or, for a car, maybe 6.2? Anyway...

The next step is to upgrade all the factory speakers and re-run the speaker cable with 12-gauge copper. After that, a woofer box in the bed and crossovers. Actually, I don't need crossovers because the radio has them built-in. Maybe a high-pass filter between the front and the tweeters.
Whaaaaat??

Looks good.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
i miss my 04
rendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrendog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rendog's Tacoma Gallery
wut is the windex for
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
xptical is on a distinguished road
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
I used the Windex to thin the paint. Water-based acrylics can be thinned with Windex to make them spray better and also to help them cure faster.