1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP WITH MY STOCK SUB WOOFER

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by kickers, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sep 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    kickers

kickers [OP] New Member

Member:
    SW FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 XRUNNER STOCK
    09 HAVE A X RUNNER COMES WITH STOCK SUB.ANYBODY HAVE A WAY TO UPGRADE STOCK BOX

2. Sep 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    scyot89

scyot89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 3.4L 4X4 5spd
    Stock
    I have never looked in those trucks to see what it looks like and how much room you got. But if your wanting to keep it the same size, make sure its enclosed real good and the speaker wire is a decent size. If your not satisfied with the way it sounds buy a new sub that will fit in that box, find where your stock amp is, if there is one, and put a better amp in there. subs and amps are like you pay for what you get. So get a good sub and if the sub is rated at 500 watts rms, get a amp that is at least rated at 4 or 5 hundred watts rms also. A lot of ppl don't seem to understand that. They always look at peak wattage.

3. Nov 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    TheDirtyGoatee

TheDirtyGoatee Facial Hair Extraordinaire!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Winder, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 X-Runner in SWB
    Fog light mod, stock otherwise (with less than 20k miles)
    To be honest, I'm perfectly content with the stock box. Not sure what everyone's crying about.

4. Nov 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    TheDirtyGoatee

TheDirtyGoatee Facial Hair Extraordinaire!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Winder, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 X-Runner in SWB
    Fog light mod, stock otherwise (with less than 20k miles)
    I worked at a local professional sound shop (Danley Sound Labs). We held the record for largest subwoofer ever. Not the actual driver itself but the entire enclosure. It had 40 MTX Thunder 9500 drivers with 40k watts of juice. It was no slouch. I had to pull it to demo's with a rig quite a few times. Cracked me up to watch people's reactions when we fired it up too. Even on a very mild, low setting it would rattle the building. We never could fire it up full bore though because it would've literally torn the building apart. Mythbusters showed interest back when they were testing the myth about guns in the trunk firing off due to vibrations.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danleyport.asp?ID=33

http://futuremusic.com/blog/2008/07/22/worlds-biggest-subwoofer-danley-sound-labs-matterhorn/

(no that's not me personally in it but I do have pics of me and video of it going)

That all being said, I was spoiled because I got to watch fully HD 1080p movies in our demo room with a 9.2 custom surround sound. I do miss that job from time to time.

5. Nov 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yeah if your looking to rattle the roof tear it all out and go custom. Otherwise upgrade the sub to a JL audio and it will kill for a 8". I think that's what size it is...

6. Dec 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I have the JBL package and yes, its better than bone stock but the highs are not very crisp and the lows are there but there is no real 'bass'.. The door speakers hit harder than the sub does.

7. Dec 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    WestEnd

WestEnd Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    Add a digital sound processor like those available from JL Audio, Rockford, or Audison. Sony even has one coming out that is supposed to be killer, but I don't know if its shipping yet.
    Take the time to read in the tech sections of their websites on how to properly set and install your unit, and you will be amazed at what a difference it makes. It allows you to adjust frequencies, crossovers, slopes, etc. etc. and your OE audio will come to life.
    You can also line the inside of your factory enclosure with fiberglass, dynamat, or Blackhole deadener, and it will iprove your low frequency response, even with the factory equipment.

Products Discussed in

To Top