Notices

How Reliable Are The X-Runners?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Strathound is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Strathound's Tacoma Gallery
How Reliable Are The X-Runners?

Hey guys,

First, I've been a member here for all of about 15 seconds ... so please ... have pity on me for stupid questions.

I'm looking at a used 2005 X-Runner. And I love that there's a truck out there like this, where handling and performance come first. And they look ... awesome. I'll get a test ride this weekend.

Now I realize that when you're talking about a performance vehicle ... some sacrifices are made to get that performance. This isn't grandpa's 4 cyl Tacoma that he drives to church on Sunday. It's a wild animal that wants to be unleashed.

So, with that in mind ... how do they compare to their mild mannered brethren when it comes to mechanical issues and cost of ownership? Obviously, gas mileage is part of it. But that was easy to figure out. However, I've searched the internet and these forums for a discussion of the V6 vs the V4 and haven't found much info. I'm also worried that the suspension is pricey to maintain. Can anyone here bring me up to date before I pull the trigger on the purchase? The truck I'm looking at has 92,000 miles.

Thanks ... and sweet rides out there,

Michael
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.xr-underground.com/
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
They are as reliable as any other 2nd gen Tacoma. The 05s did have motor mount issues so watch for that.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
They probably get better mileage than I do even with aggressive driving due to their low profile and smaller lighter tires and less beefy suspension.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Thanks all. Rucus, I checked out that site. Lots of good info on there. Seems this version of the Tacoma is equally dependable, just with more sport to it. Fantastic.

Whippersnapper, is there a way during inspection I can detect the motor mount issue?

MS
Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well if the cooling fan is rubbing on the shroud then the engien has begun to sink unless the shroud was reinstalled incorrectly. As far as the visual on the motor mounts I guess then would just look like they are sinking into the frame rail. Honestly I have not heard of this issue on X-Runners.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
09RMZ10tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: dane
09RMZ10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 09 bought brand new and traded it in at 10,000 miles for my 4x4. Handled great and the ride was nice but that's about it. The speed never really wowed me. Was an awesome looking truck tho. Look at the rear fender flairs the paint chips off them from rocks like crazy. After about 5,000 miles i noticed it on mine and didn't do anything about it and after 5,000 more miles they looked horrible. If i didn't go offroad and wanted a truck i probably still wouldn't get one, but thats just me.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09RMZ10tacoma View Post
I had a 09 bought brand new and traded it in at 10,000 miles for my 4x4. Handled great and the ride was nice but that's about it. The speed never really wowed me. Was an awesome looking truck tho. Look at the rear fender flairs the paint chips off them from rocks like crazy. After about 5,000 miles i noticed it on mine and didn't do anything about it and after 5,000 more miles they looked horrible. If i didn't go offroad and wanted a truck i probably still wouldn't get one, but thats just me.
I'm just looking for something affordable to get around town. Found an '05 with 92,000 miles for 13K. If I'm going to get a truck, I'd much rather get one that handles well vs. offroad performance. I'll never take the truck off road. And the fact that it has a 6 speed means more fun to drive.

MS
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Banned
The 6 speed isn't that great. The gear ratios are weird and 6th gear is a little short causing high RPM at speed so MPG aren't as good as you would think. Since 2nd gens are throttle by wire some owner complain about RPM hang when shifting gears. Also some trucks have throwout bearing issues.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Do any of you X-Runner owners have an owner's manual handy (or a link)? I'd like to know if there's any expensive scheduled maintenance around 100K miles.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Banned
The X Runners do not have a specific manual.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...oma_WMG_lr.pdf

Since the truck is used with almost 100K I would suggest new tranny fluid, new rear axle fluid, new plugs, inspect brake fluid quality, coolant quality inspection, new air filter and new engine oil and filter.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE my X-runner, what do you wanna know?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
LOVE my X-runner, what do you wanna know?
How many years have you owned it? Had any maintenance issues?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The X Runners do not have a specific manual.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...oma_WMG_lr.pdf

Since the truck is used with almost 100K I would suggest new tranny fluid, new rear axle fluid, new plugs, inspect brake fluid quality, coolant quality inspection, new air filter and new engine oil and filter.
Wow. No need to replace timing chain all the way to 120K and beyond? That's impressive.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strathound View Post
Wow. No need to replace timing chain all the way to 120K and beyond? That's impressive.
It is designed for the life of the engine.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
How many years have you owned it? Had any maintenance issues?
Owned my 07' since March 2010. bought at 32,000km. Now at 65,000km and supercharged. only issues have been the internal blower motor, TSB fixed said issue. Besides that, nothing and rides like a dream

I do all my own maintenance, changed all fluids and plugs.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Awesome. Sounds like a fantastic vehicle. Can't wait to take a test drive.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Awesome. Sounds like a fantastic vehicle. Can't wait to take a test drive.
If you want Xr specific info, check out xr-u.com

Its for just us
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Toyota that's about all ya need to know
Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 05 bought it off the showroom floor with 7 miles on it now have 91k, never had 1 issue with it since the day i got it (knock on wood). 60k service cost me about 340.00 and that was at a local shop. goes in in two weeks for the 90k..

handles great and rides great, theres plenty of things you can do with the truck just depends how much you wanna shell out..