Notices

Rear End Options

Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Papo454 is on a distinguished road
Army: ret SSG/MAJ, QM, 10th SFG/FORSCOM/3rd SFG/Panama
Name: Jorge
Papo454's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Rear End Options

My first time... here goes???? My xRunner is basically a daily drive, almost at the 100K mark, no complaints. If there is one disappointing factor, its the braking part! Both my car & my wife's truck have four-wheel disc systems. This old rear-drum brake set-up is lacking sometimes. My query... anyone have any experience/suggestions on swapping out the rear-axle or changing the brakes to disc? Both worry about quoting what might seem like the obvious to you... I'm not offended easily! Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks...
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo454 View Post
My first time... here goes???? My xRunner is basically a daily drive, almost at the 100K mark, no complaints. If there is one disappointing factor, its the braking part! Both my car & my wife's truck have four-wheel disc systems. This old rear-drum brake set-up is lacking sometimes. My query... anyone have any experience/suggestions on swapping out the rear-axle or changing the brakes to disc? Both worry about quoting what might seem like the obvious to you... I'm not offended easily! Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks...
Welcome to TW. The issues with changing a drum system to disc's has come up here before. I'm sure if you use the search bar, you'll find lots of posts. The short version is that the brake system was designed to use drums, and no amount of altering will create a system worth using. Sorry I didn't pay too much attention, as this was not something I plan to do.

Frank
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Brake kits are made and sold to convert the rears to disc.

IS350 rear brake conversion (~$1200)
http://tundraracing.com/355xrunnerrotora.htm

Rear brake conversion ($~900)
http://tundraracing.com/xrunnerreard...versionkit.htm

I think Rotora makes a rear kit too but can't find it but have seen it done before... If you touch the rears, you might want to upgrade the front brakes with a BBK too since the rear brakes only do 20% of the braking.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Rear disks will not help. Throw on some better front pads, rotors and SS lines like I will be soon. Or you could go all out on the TRD kit.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Rear disks will not help. Throw on some better front pads, rotors and SS lines like I will be soon. Or you could go all out on the TRD kit.
*discs

and depending on the use, yes, disc brakes may be beneficial

yes, the rear does very little of the actual braking. but, if for whatever reason intense, repeated braking is needed, discs would be beneficial as they are much less prone to excessive heat buildup.

for avereage daily driving, there will be no difference. let's get that clear.

like whipper said, front brake upgrades (especially on a truck with brake and vehicle weight proportions heavily favoring the front) will do much in terms of improving overall brake performance more than any kind of rear upgrade.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
*discs

and depending on the use, yes, disc brakes may be beneficial

yes, the rear does very little of the actual braking. but, if for whatever reason intense, repeated braking is needed, discs would be beneficial as they are much less prone to excessive heat buildup.

for avereage daily driving, there will be no difference. let's get that clear.

like whipper said, front brake upgrades (especially on a truck with brake and vehicle weight proportions heavily favoring the front) will do much in terms of improving overall brake performance more than any kind of rear upgrade.
In the case of the Taco the braking got worse for a member that bought the conversion kit. Yeah you can play with a proportioning valve but in the end what for? There is no weight in the bed and it is still a heavy truck that you are tying to slow down.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
like others have said your best bet is to first upgrade the front be it either with a simple pad and rotor upgrade or by putting on your big boy pants and doing a bbk, as doing the rear will make the ass end lock up with little to no braking force. which dramatically affects handling for the worse, especially if you like to push the limits of your truck. i would also suggest looking up sdxrunner619 on xrunnerground and chat with him about his experiances with his rear disc conversion
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
an adjustable brake proportioning valve from summit racing should fixe the 80/20 braking split then you could adjust it to more like 65/35-70/30. you can grab a good on for 50-90 bucks.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
In the case of the Taco the braking got worse for a member that bought the conversion kit. Yeah you can play with a proportioning valve but in the end what for? There is no weight in the bed and it is still a heavy truck that you are tying to slow down.
this case that you mention does not necessarily reflect even what the OP is asking for; we are talking about a 5-lug kit designed for an XRunner. considering both of these kits (rotora and Lexus Rear BBK) in comparison to the rather undersized kit for the 6 lug trucks, are quite large in comparison.

like i stated before overall braking power shouldn't be your main concern when considering a rear disc conversion; rather other factors such as heat dissipation and substantially less brake fade etc.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
Get the rotora bbk from tundraracing.com, its on sale for $1299. I have them and love em. The problem with disks in the rear is that they work to well for the wieght we have back there. They will lock up quite easy unless you get a bias valve and adjust accordingly. But why buy better brakes to just tone them down?! They are wonderful for drifting however....
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Papo454 is on a distinguished road
Army: ret SSG/MAJ, QM, 10th SFG/FORSCOM/3rd SFG/Panama
Name: Jorge
Papo454's Tacoma Gallery
thanks

wow, that's a lot of good stuff, really appreciate. understand (should've known) that the weight distribution (front-to-rear) has a big impact. think i'll go with the front end upgrade, will post when i git-er-done. again, thanks mucho for all the responses.