1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

x runner vs civic si

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by jped1981, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    jped1981

jped1981 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ft Riley, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4 5 speed
    Sup TW! I currently own a honda civic si 2012, and though it is an awesome ride, it doesn't leave me with the same enthusiastic driver experience my old rsx type s had. Needless to say ive had the car for 3500 miles and I feel bored. So one day I see an xrunner on the dealer lot, it is speedway blue, 2011 model with 10000 miles. After driving the truck I realivze that the civic is faster, albeit not by much but there was something more soulful with the xrunner. The v6 rumble and the way it drove reminded me of the old s10 of yesteryear. (One of my younger day dream cars). I stepped on the gas pedal and it seemed like the truck hard more personality. As I talk to the dealer, I realize that they want nearly 27k for it! Apparently. Just acouple hundred off the price of the 2013! I currently own a 4x4 reg cab 2.7 (my workhorse) so this civic or xrunner is my fun weekend car. I was able to bring them down to 24 k but even as reasonalble of a price that is, I'm not sure I want to spend that much more for a used car. For those of you that have driven similar vehicles, what is your opinions? Is the xrunner worth it? Or should I keep the civic? On a side note I just put a Doug Thorley exhaust and header on my 4x4! How cool is that? It rides a little faster but still no si or xrunner fast! Thanks a lot guys waiting foryour insight!

2. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If you can swing it I'd get the X; a new X.

3. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I agree the RSX is way more fun to drive than an SI. An X-runner is fun to drive because it's a quick truck but has a lot to be desired. If it was me and I had a lot of fun money to go with the truck I would supercharge it and upgrade suspension. Then it would be a blast.

4. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    PahalaTacoma

PahalaTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Im assuming you race once in a while. Road racing/autocross - Si. Drag racing - Xrunner.

5. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    boopie

boopie 05trdoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05trdoffroad
    Toytec/Eibach Bilstein set at .85, URD TCAI , TRD catback exhaust,1.5" AAL
    That would leave you with 2 trucks??? You plan on trading in the 4x4??

6. Sep 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    jped1981

jped1981 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ft Riley, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4 5 speed
    Thanks guys for the input! Boopie, yes it sounds weird but in the end it would mean I would have 2 trucks. Steve I definitely like the new x, but that thing will be way over my fun car budget. Supercharging and all that jazz would be fun, but that would get really pricey really fast! Lol! Whippersnapper, seems like you are not a fan of the "sporty truck" too much. Seems like you got bored with one. What happened did you move on to something else? Pahalatacoma and isu ive read somewhere that the xrunner can hold as many g's in the turns as a 350z:eek: I would love to see how my civic would do against it around the track lol! If that is true that the x can do that it should theoretically spank my civic:eek: I'm still on the fence...by the way the x is speedway blue, I'm partial to black....have anyone else driven both types of vehicles?

7. Sep 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    diesel30

diesel30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    columbus ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 dbl cab long bed trd sport 4x4 mag gray
    carbon fiber blacked out grill ddm tuning hid kit 35w/55w bi-xenon kit ddm tuning hid fog light kit 35w m/t classic lock blacks fierce attitudes 285/70/17 5100's installed on front 2.5" rear TSB done masterlock tailgate lock 35% front window tint scangaugeII duplicolor red caliper paint
    If you're bored with the si then trade it in on a pre-owned s2000. It will obviously blow the doors off of either the si or x runner in any line. strait or especially a curvy one. not to mention you can pick up a few year old one in the teens. I'm sure you won't get too bored with that thing spinning to 8 grand.:D

8. Sep 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    The issue is you got the wrong Si...go drive a 2010 or 2011 Si and you will get the personality you want...8200 RPM redline with VTEC on both intake and exhaust cams kicking in a 5800 RPM gives a good kick...the new Si's are for the masses with lower redline, VTEC on intake only that is barely noticeable and focus more on low end torque then high end power and feel...yes the 2012 Si has more power but the 2011 felt faster and more emotional to me...The only reason I got rid of mine is because I am just too big for the car and my back would kill my back on my daily commute...

9. Sep 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Doublecab
    Id say keep the si and use a little cash to do some nice mods to it. I love the 2012 civics and i think they look better than the x. Or someone else said get an s2000, which would be a very good option if you didnt mind a smaller car. Ive driven one and fell in love with it but they cost too much for me to afford one. Youd also be losing a little mpg going to an x. Dont get me wrong the xrunner is a sweet truck and id love one too.

10. Sep 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    sounds like you need a liter bike.

11. Sep 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    AZHornet

AZHornet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    2006 Type S..first Acura (Honda)...all I can say is wow!..the feel of that VTEC kicking in at 6400 RPM..the handling..engine noise..:D

Im like you that I am lucky to have my truck as my daily so this is a weekend only car...if you are looking for something different, have you thought about the BRZ/FRS? I believe they are mid 20K's and RWD to boot...

12. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I think the BRZ and clones need to be low 20's for me to be interested...you can get more power and AWD from a WRX for the same price, or more power and more style with the same attainable performance from a V6 Mustang or Camaro, more power and better performance out of a Genesis Coupe 2.0T...I'm not a fan...

13. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    jped1981

jped1981 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ft Riley, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4 5 speed
    Thanks for all the replies on this thread! The bike would be pretty awesome! It would be great to blow the doors off of everyone, but I guess there's no need to go that fast anymore. I like the idea of the x being quick but not a ferarri. I like the civic comfort and spirited ride. More input from tw.members is appreciated keep it coming fellas thanks!

14. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    austinramsay

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
  15. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    jped1981

jped1981 [OP] Member

Member:
    Ft Riley, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4 5 speed
    Thanks again for all your opinions and the bike comment was hilarious! I do feel that this si is just not the same as the si and type r of yesteryear. I will definitely consider that s2000 idea. I remember a day when Honda use to tote horsepower per liter and build these incredible four bangers that were bulletproof, high revving and amazing. This current si is nice but just doesn't have that same dramatic effect as the older ones. I do enjoy the torque and power throughout the rev band, but it doesn't have the wow factor that they use to have. Some good points of my current civic is the aesthetics, it has all kinds of cool displays and the Bluetooth stuff. I love it in black, and the transmission shifts like butter! It is comfortable in case I do have additional passengers (vs xrunner). It is a sporty coupe and can give a spirited ride. On the other hand it seems like you guys are saying the x is not too fun either...I know the x runner has additional bracing and suspension modifications what do you guys think? What do you guys think about driving feel xrunner vs other sporty trucks? What are your impressions on your xrunners? Thanks!

16. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Personally i love the xrunner but i can't justify having 2 trucks. (at least not yet.) If i were in your shoes i'd be looking at the FRS. Rear wheel drive, light weight, cheaper than the Xrunner, lot's of aftermarket support and more to come. The Xrunner's do handle pretty good and some guys do autocross them, but they won't compare to the FRS. My opinion.

17. Sep 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    OP it sounds to me like u want the x-runner. Everything someone saids either positive or negative about the x u just down play the civic and talk up the x. Just get it dude. Ur bored with the civic, u obviously like the x. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to me.

18. Sep 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    austinramsay

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yep if you like the X and you dont really like the civic, you should just get rid of it before you get too many miles on it. Or like the others said the frs/brz, those things are sick! Or maybe like an sti impreza?

19. Sep 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    put your k20 head on a k24 block……

20. Sep 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    It is a K24 block already.

Honda seems to be in this funk with the Si. It's like the budget and engineering departments keep arguing back and forth. '99-'00, 160 hp 1.6L, fast high-revving fun. '02-'05, still 160 hp and more torque with 2.0L, but boring. '06-'11, 197 hp, still 2.0L but wicked fun. '12, 201 hp and more torque with 2.4L, but boring... you get the picture.

I wouldn't trade a Honda six speed for the Tacoma six speed. That is the definition of polar opposite, trading from one of the best manual tranny manufacturers in the world to one of the worst. It WILL feel like you're shifting an old Ford 8N.

Products Discussed in

To Top