Notices

Autocrosses ?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Autocrosses ?

Hey Guys,
Any of Ya'll done any of those " Autocrosses " that some of the different auto clubs put together ?
It looks like Fun to me.
Big O
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Did them for a few years in a formula "V". Lots of fun and very intense. Precise driving and braking.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
I did some a couple years ago. Had a great time. It can get expensive fast depending on what you are driving and how hard you want to compete.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Autocrosses

The only 4 wheeler I have to drive is my X. Which would compete in the Street , Sligyhtly Modified class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
I did some a couple years ago. Had a great time. It can get expensive fast depending on what you are driving and how hard you want to compete.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I drive my dad's Boxster S in street class. We've done a few of them.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
The only 4 wheeler I have to drive is my X. Which would compete in the Street , Sligyhtly Modified class.
If you are pushing hard to compete you can expect to go through some tires and brakes. Plus all the regular maintenance intervals need to be moved up. I usually don't recommend people use a daily driver for autocross. Maybe try it once for fun, but the constant punishment of autocross can be a bit much for a dd.

Quote:
I drive my dad's Boxster S in street class. We've done a few of them.
Boxsters, and Porsche in general, are amazing fun at autocross. I drove a Cayman S.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Autocrosses

Quote:
If you are pushing hard to compete you can expect to go through some tires and brakes. Plus all the regular maintenance intervals need to be moved up. I usually don't recommend people use a daily driver for autocross. Maybe try it once for fun, but the constant punishment of autocross can be a bit much for a dd.

Boxsters, and Porsche in general, are amazing fun at autocross. I drove a Cayman S.
THanks for the good advice.
Big O
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
We have auto cross events here at Qualcomm stadium . Good stuff .
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
yup. it is how it all started for me and some friends. now they are full on track racers..me? i cant fund a race car.

in the bay area, we have the best venue. we run it on an old naval station..next to san francisco. simply amazing. do a porsche group AX.,.they let anyone run. but you will be in a "fun" group..so no points. gotta start somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Autocrosses ?-ax.jpg  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no..that is Alameda naval station.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #13

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
do a porsche group AX.,.they let anyone run. but you will be in a "fun" group..so no points. gotta start somewhere.
Interesting. Here you have to be a member of PCA (Porsche Club of America) to participate. The events are insured, and non-members are not covered. The vehicle inspections are also pretty intense at PCA events, I doubt a pickup would be allowed to enter. However, there are tons of events that will allow anybody with almost any vehicle to enter. I think everybody should race at least once, it gives you a better feel for what you are driving.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
GGR PCA allows non pcars. Tech inspection? What would fail a truck? My 911 is 31 years old and it passes. I don't consider an AX a race.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #15

Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Chesapeake allows non pcars as long as the owners are PCA members and the cars meet all requirements. I have participated with Chesapeake, Potomac, and Central PA regions, but I only know the actual rules in Chesapeake. I don't know that the truck would fail an inspection. We have to have an inspection completed by an authorized service center prior to the season, then an inspection at each event. Its just another expense to add in for autocross.

This was at a "drivers experience" event prior to the autocross season.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
that is kinda nice. my PCA lets any guest in..as long as you are with a PCA member.

non PCA members are allowed as long as you drive a porsche. we get some random vehicles.

tech inspections only happen at the event..very very informal.

wheel bearings, tight.
seatbelts, seat tight.
battery tight. positive terminal covered.
helmet dated and stamped.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X2 about the DD. Get a cheap Miata or something if you're really serious about getting into it many people have those around here and they run times that give the Porsche a run. Our Boxster no long has a 2nd gear due to ACing and bad design. We usually go to the football stadium in Clemson because they tow all the cars in the morning after a game so the parking lots are empty.