Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Slip Differential

Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
n8ghee is on a distinguished road
Navy: PC/LSE
n8ghee's Tacoma Gallery
Slip Differential

I bought a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner a couple years ago.....I just recently moved to Denver and I plan on snowboarding a lot this winter. Problem is my tacoma does not have slip differential. I am very nervous about taking it up in the mountains. The only thing I have on it is snow tires. Can I install slip differential myself? Am I better off selling my tacoma (this would make me very sad)?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
cruxofthebisquit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
cruxofthebisquit's Tacoma Gallery
why is this in X-Runners? And if it's a PR it should have a locker or slip. I'd be more worried about driving in snow w/ a locker than an open.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
I bought a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner a couple years ago.....I just recently moved to Denver and I plan on snowboarding a lot this winter. Problem is my tacoma does not have slip differential. I am very nervous about taking it up in the mountains. The only thing I have on it is snow tires. Can I install slip differential myself? Am I better off selling my tacoma (this would make me very sad)?

What year is your truck?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

he says '07
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
What year is your truck?
2007 Tacoma Prerunner
Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
u moved to denver man, buy a 4x4
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Why in the world ANY truck is sold without posi. has always baffled me.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Yeah, dumbass question. I thought that these trucks all had LSD unless it was the newer version that used the brakes, I think 09-12? Any way, rear wheel drive in slippery conditions sucks whether or not you have LSD or not.
TRD Sport has LSD I believe and TRD Off Road uses it's brakes as Auto LSD for 09 and newer. Being that is an 07 Prerunner (Not sure if it's TRD Sport or Off Road) he could or could not have LSD and if he just has a SR5 he prolly has open differentials
Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
my cousin put one of these: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_338418 in his 2004 prerunner with the 2.7 and he likes it.

base,sr5,and trd OR don't come with limited slip diffs.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Slip differential? That sounds awful!!

You want a LIMITED slip. If you're going through the effort to out in an LSD, just get a locker.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #12

I can't vouch for snow but locked in sucks when it's slippery. Your back end drifts all over the place because if 1 tire slips real easy it drags the other with it. At least w/ LSD you get a little bit of give. Not to mention if your on a roadway in slippery conditions locked in and go under a overpass or something where it's dry................Lockers are great in mud and deep sand. that's my only experience with them.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Braking Bad is on a distinguished road

Braking Bad's Tacoma Gallery
My 06 X-runner has a "LSD oil only" sticker on the differential. Just look underneath the back.