Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

URD Supergrip 2.825" s/c pulley

Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
URD Supergrip 2.825" s/c pulley

Just ordered one and the press tool, anybody installed one? What pulley puller tool did you use/ would you recommend?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
2013NauticalTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
2013NauticalTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Curious about this myself i would like to get a s/c and wonder if this ups the psi too much or would it be ok with the stock lower and upper end
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013NauticalTaco View Post
Curious about this myself i would like to get a s/c and wonder if this ups the psi too much or would it be ok with the stock lower and upper end
It will be fine. That's not what this thread is about

/threadjack
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
A comfortable ride is for chumps
Athlaos is on a distinguished road

Name: Athlaos
Athlaos's Tacoma Gallery
I did buy this and the installer tool. I tried doing it myself, but I put a lot of force on the old pulley and it didn't budge, so I opted to have a mechanic do it. It made me nervous as hell to have someone else work on my supercharger, but I figured it would have a better chance of being hassle-free if someone experienced did it. They charged me about $120 in labor.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
A comfortable ride is for chumps
Athlaos is on a distinguished road

Name: Athlaos
Athlaos's Tacoma Gallery
Also, to satisfy your thread jacker, the supercharger boost is fine, even with the smaller pulley, but you'll need the URD 255lph fuel pump kit upgrade to get the most out of it. I noticed a power plateau at 4500rpm even without the smaller pulley, but that is gone now that the new pump is in. Also I could swear my fuel economy is better with the new fuel pump. But that might just be the outrageous losers on the road forcing me below the speed limit on the way to work for the past few days.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
Just ordered one and the press tool, anybody installed one? What pulley puller tool did you use/ would you recommend?
You can use a 3 jaw puller from autozone. It will build up a lot of tension before it actually moves, then you can crank it off. It will pop.

I had some issues putting the new one on ( twice on two trucks). Heat the pulley up in boiling water and cool the blower shaft with ice and move quick to get it back on.

I broke the hardened stud on the press tool twice installing the pulley ( on two different trucks).

Taking the pulley off was never a problem

Justin
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
You can use a 3 jaw puller from autozone. It will build up a lot of tension before it actually moves, then you can crank it off. It will pop.

I had some issues putting the new one on ( twice on two trucks). Heat the pulley up in boiling water and cool the blower shaft with ice and move quick to get it back on.

I broke the hardened stud on the press tool twice installing the pulley ( on two different trucks).

Justin
So if you break the stud on the press tool you're pretty much screwed at that point or no?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
So if you break the stud on the press tool you're pretty much screwed at that point or no?

technically no.

In my case, one of them broke before the pulley was all the way on, so I was able to back the broken stud out and replace it ( it is replaceable in the tool) and crank it the rest of the way down.

The second one broke flush, but a reverse drill bit took it right back out. That was my fault though, you have to watch it close and the pulley had bottomed out and I gave it one more crank and POP..

Gadget updated the tool with a roller bearing to lower the loading on it and I dont think the issue happens any more.

He kept asking me how I was breaking them lol.

Justin
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
technically no.

In my case, one of them broke before the pulley was all the way on, so I was able to back the broken stud out and replace it ( it is replaceable in the tool) and crank it the rest of the way down.

The second one broke flush, but a reverse drill bit took it right back out. That was my fault though, you have to watch it close and the pulley had bottomed out and I gave it one more crank and POP..

Gadget updated the tool with a roller bearing to lower the loading on it and I dont think the issue happens any more.

He kept asking me how I was breaking them lol.

Justin
lol at least G fixed the problem (i hope)

are there any other tools needed other than a strap wrench, puller and press tool? any bolt that needs to go into the pulley snout or anything like that?

sorry to ask so many dumb questions. this is my only vehicle and i dont want to F something up and be screwed with no ride for a while
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
lol at least G fixed the problem (i hope)

are there any other tools needed other than a strap wrench, puller and press tool? any bolt that needs to go into the pulley snout or anything like that?

sorry to ask so many dumb questions. this is my only vehicle and i dont want to F something up and be screwed with no ride for a while
The pulley should come with a button head bolt to protect the shaft when using. The puller. Other than that nope...it's pretty straight forward

Justin
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
The pulley should come with a button head bolt to protect the shaft when using. The puller. Other than that nope...it's pretty straight forward

Justin
got it in the mail today and i see what you're talking about. thanks for the help justin
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
navarski is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat-Veteran, 1AD Baumholder Germany. OIF2008-09 Sadr City.
Name: Navarski
navarski's Tacoma Gallery
strap wrench???

I know the strap wrench is to keep the pulley straigh when installing.. But where do you position the strap wrench in order to keep the pulley straight.?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
rat107 is on a distinguished road

rat107's Tacoma Gallery

Use a strap wrench to keep the pulley from turning when installing.

Since it's a press fit be sure the motor is stone cold before installation. I heated the pulley with a blow drier before I installed it. Make sure to oil the supercharger shaft with motor oil and grease the bearing and threads of the URD installation tool.

My boost went up 2 psi with noticeable power increases throughout the range. TRD reflash handles the pulley upgrade fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:32 AM   #14
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
A blow drier?!

Anyone use air in a can upside down to cool the shaft before install?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
A blow drier?!

Anyone use air in a can upside down to cool the shaft before install?
No, but it would probably take the whole can to cool it. Then You would have that weird smell in your nostrils for a week lol
Old 01-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, but it would probably take the whole can to cool it. Then You would have that weird smell in your nostrils for a week lol
Lol
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never smelled it before... I'll take ur word on that
Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I put the pulley in a pot of water on a propane burner right next to where I was working. Worked great. No real value in trying to ice the shaft
Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Bam-Ba-Lam

I put a rag down in boiling water with the edges of the rag hanging over the edge of the pot with the pulley in the rag. That way when it was boiling and finished I could grab the edges of the rag lift it out of the water and place it directly onto the shaft and start pressing with the tool. Worked like a champ
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
Redline is on a distinguished road

Redline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Justin

can i just get the 3 jaw puller instead of the pulley press tool from urd?