Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Headlight upgrade

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Bam527 is on a distinguished road
Bam527's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight upgrade

I have a black X runner and I'm new to the forum. I was wondering what everyone thought about headlight upgrades and which ones are the best.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about light output or the headlight housings?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Bam527's Tacoma Gallery
Well actually both
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I personally like the 09-11 Headlights. They have a titanium/gunmetal/smoked chrome look to them which is why I upgraded mine.

For best output is to do a retrofit on them. Although expensive for proven quality

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=24

stock finish

BHLM W/Retro

You'll get a cleaner cut off compared to any other method.

Ebay/aftermarket headlights are cheaply made and the projectors in them are not made for HID bulbs despite some having projectors... These are the exception, However I haven't heard anything about them other then typical they leak... So adding a extra bead of sealant to them will be advised.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-11-TACOMA...8379e6&vxp=mtr

Also instead of the retrofit source being about $300, There is this place but again... I have no idea how good the quality of them are but it's up to you to gamble the price difference. It may be as good as TRFS and you saved about $200 or just wasted $130.

http://www.modifystreet.com/Lighting...nts-Combo-Set/

You can just install a DDM plug and play kit for about $70, But you will need to spend extra time adjusting them to where they wont be as blinding to on coming cars. I have this done at the moment running 5000K hi/low's and after adjusting the output wasn't as much of an improvement as I had hoped. But it's tolerable.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Bam527's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! How hard is it to do the retrofit and are there any videos? I would really like mine to look like those on the red x runner you posted.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
I think the hardest part is taking them apart.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70

The rest is fairly straight forward.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Bam527's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
CCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really nice
Law Enforcement: RESERVE DEPUTY SHERIFF - RETIRED
Name: RON
CCCSOCOP's Tacoma Gallery
Sky's the limit when it comes to upgrades. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your budget. I opted for Spyder Brand Halo Lights with CCFL's. Spent around $450 but well worth it. They look great and where pretty easy to install. I need to get my pictures posted but my photo album got deleted. Will try to get them up soon.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCSOCOP View Post
Sky's the limit when it comes to upgrades. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your budget. I opted for Spyder Brand Halo Lights with CCFL's. Spent around $450 but well worth it. They look great and where pretty easy to install. I need to get my pictures posted but my photo album got deleted. Will try to get them up soon.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...en-tacoma.html

Crappy output.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
CCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
Not crappy for me. They work better than the old OEM and look way better. To each his own
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
GuyWithCamera

sick signature!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCSOCOP View Post
Not crappy for me. They work better than the old OEM and look way better. To each his own
Your OEM's must have been really foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
GuyWithCamera

sick signature!
Thanks... GranTurismo 5
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
Your OEM's must have been really foggy

Thanks... GranTurismo 5
The OEM's were a little foggyat the top, but I wanted a newer and nicer look.