Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

X-Runner to prerunner/4x4 height?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Your mileage will suffer once lifted with bigger tires, so dont forget to factor that in long term...
this. the final drive ratio is much lower numerically than prerunners. so your truck would be slower as well.

coupled with the fact that you will have extra aerodynamic drag due to the OEM kit, you will probably get worse mileage than a prerunner.

if you are concerned about mileage, why didn't you just buy a four cyl taco?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
this. the final drive ratio is much lower numerically than prerunners. so your truck would be slower as well.

coupled with the fact that you will have extra aerodynamic drag due to the OEM kit, you will probably get worse mileage than a prerunner.

if you are concerned about mileage, why didn't you just buy a four cyl taco?
Good point on the gears, I think it is 3.15 for the x-runner vs 3.73.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what upper and lower a arms x runners have nor spindles so...

If they are different...there are tons of guys selling their OEM a arms and spindles. You could probably get all that stuff for a few hundred bucks or less. You could also buy OEM leaf packs that has the TSB done to it as well! Then just get some Bilstein 5100 hundreds for the front and rear...done!

Again this is a hypothetical statement as I have no clue about XR suspension lol
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post

Actually, there is a lifted Tacoma running around here with 20" wheels and the X-runner body kit...
:edit:
found it

I think its just the front and rear kit.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post

I think its just the front and rear kit.
Fugly!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I'm not sure what upper and lower a arms x runners have nor spindles so...

If they are different...there are tons of guys selling their OEM a arms and spindles. You could probably get all that stuff for a few hundred bucks or less. You could also buy OEM leaf packs that has the TSB done to it as well! Then just get some Bilstein 5100 hundreds for the front and rear...done!

Again this is a hypothetical statement as I have no clue about XR suspension lol
will not work.

5 Lug Trucks (including XRs) have completely different suspension mounting points, geometry, spindles, as well as front subframe.

even the top hat bolt spacing is different.

a TSB leaf pack in on a 5 Lug truck if kept spring under axle will actually lower it, slightly.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
TastyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I should have been checking up more frequently, I did not know people were posting.

Anyways I have had more vehicles than most people will ever have and I've decided to keep it and just go for it. Everything I do is reversible if I absolutely have too. I live in Oregon, thus meaning roads suck weather sucks everything sucks. I should have held out for a better deal but I am stuck with my choice.

I have already ordered 245/75/17's Duratracs with black rhino wheels. I still need to order the fatbobs 5lug lift. I have already torn the skirts off. Problem is I did not know about the holes. I will probably just plug the holes in the bed and replace the rear bumper and replace the front or put a avid off road light bar on the front.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #28

You will probably want to regear, the 3.15 rear gears will not like that big a tire.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Maybe not a 6" lift but do you realize that the x-runner is 4.7" lower than the height you want.

You are going to squander money and make an x-runner possibly unsellable?
I am not looking for huge lift I should say like 6" I had a 2011 taco 4x4 with the spacer lift + 33's and I liked the way it looked.

I figure this

The factory tires are 255/45/18 = 27" Dia

Tires I am purchasing are 245/75/17 = 31.5" Dia

Difference between those are 4.5" then add the 2.75" spacer lift and AAL = 7.25" of additional height.

I have checked the resale of my truck at like 13k for trade so resale is kinda out the door anyways, it only has 55k for an 05. Probably just end up keeping it forever and buying another new wrx when the time is right. I only used 4x4 about 3-5 times on my other trucks mainly in snow, I do not like to go bash a newer truck in the mud, but I do like to have more rubber between the wheel and road and up above so I can go on gravel backroads and such.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Horrible idea. We cant be any clearer.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
poundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scot
poundin tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyTaco View Post
I am not looking for huge lift I should say like 6" I had a 2011 taco 4x4 with the spacer lift + 33's and I liked the way it looked.

I figure this

The factory tires are 255/45/18 = 27" Dia

Tires I am purchasing are 245/75/17 = 31.5" Dia

Difference between those are 4.5" then add the 2.75" spacer lift and AAL = 7.25" of additional height.

I have checked the resale of my truck at like 13k for trade so resale is kinda out the door anyways, it only has 55k for an 05. Probably just end up keeping it forever and buying another new wrx when the time is right. I only used 4x4 about 3-5 times on my other trucks mainly in snow, I do not like to go bash a newer truck in the mud, but I do like to have more rubber between the wheel and road and up above so I can go on gravel backroads and such.
The 4.5" diameter difference equals 1/2 that or 2.25" actual height increase.

But an X-runner is sellable, you may want to sell and find no one at any price, well probably some price........
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poundin tacos View Post
Exactly my reaction through this whole thread.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #35
Fatbobs lift is on the way, this has the same setup as a 5lug base tacoma besides the x-bracing and shocks and the body kit.

I appreciate everyone's personal opinions, but in the original post I am not asking for your opinions I am asking if lifting (well raising) it is possible. I would trade the truck if I could but it is not a viable option for me. I would rather dump money into something I own then give it away to a dealership.

Initially I had no idea there was two lug patterns until I came across the 5lug section, many people have raised their trucks. I was able to find all the information I needed.

This whole setup will run me about 1600 with tires/wheels/fatbobs lift. Probably buy avid off road light bar and a soft-top for the bed and LED Light bars.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #36

Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fatbobs lift is on the way, this has the same setup as a 5lug base tacoma besides the x-bracing and shocks and the body kit.
nope.

spring rates and heights are MUCH different on all corners.

you should take into account the fact that your front springs for example are much stiffer than base model trucks. they are also shorter as well, as is the strut itself. couple that with a spacer lift and the ride and handling qualities of the truck should be simply ridiculous.

also, the rear leaf pack is of the same design as the base model trucks but are still different; the progression is much different as is the actual arch of the leaf pack. also, your bump stop is of a different design than the base model 5 lug trucks. so if you use the stock Bilstien rear shocks you'll probably over extend them, and if you use lift shocks you have the chance of bottoming out the shock.

so your calculations on lift height are way, way off.

sometimes peoples from the internets have some useful advice.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
My god.... Why? It "was" a good looking truck. I know you aren't looking for opinions but many people on here with a lot of knowledge have given you solid advice (I.E. not opinions) and you still refuse to follow them.

It's your truck and if you want to screw it up in every way possible then by all means do so. Just please post pictures along the way as your build goes the opposite of the direction you want it to go. It will be interesting to watch.

Good luck friend.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
nope.

spring rates and heights are MUCH different on all corners.

you should take into account the fact that your front springs for example are much stiffer than base model trucks. they are also shorter as well, as is the strut itself. couple that with a spacer lift and the ride and handling qualities of the truck should be simply ridiculous.

also, the rear leaf pack is of the same design as the base model trucks but are still different; the progression is much different as is the actual arch of the leaf pack. also, your bump stop is of a different design than the base model 5 lug trucks. so if you use the stock Bilstien rear shocks you'll probably over extend them, and if you use lift shocks you have the chance of bottoming out the shock.

so your calculations on lift height are way, way off.

sometimes peoples from the internets have some useful advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
My god.... Why? It "was" a good looking truck. I know you aren't looking for opinions but many people on here with a lot of knowledge have given you solid advice (I.E. not opinions) and you still refuse to follow them.

It's your truck and if you want to screw it up in every way possible then by all means do so. Just please post pictures along the way as your build goes the opposite of the direction you want it to go. It will be interesting to watch.

Good luck friend.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #39
All done, Could not be happier with the results for how little this cost. I did all the work except wheels and tires.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All done, Could not be happier with the results for how little this cost. I did all the work except wheels and tires.
My first thought is that it's a lifted 4cyl Access cab with a skewped hood and custom paint. It's kind of a sleeper that way, isn't it?