Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

X-Runner to prerunner/4x4 height?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
TastyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
X-Runner to prerunner/4x4 height?

I have done a little research on this subject and looked at some threads, but I was curious how difficult it would be to get this truck the stock height of a prerunner or 4x4.

Before people get into the "why would you do that?!" The main reason I bought this tuck was to get out of my tundra and get some better MPG's, this was the only truck they had that worked with my situation. So lets just say I will be in this truck for awhile. I do not want to put a 6" lift on this truck just make it a normal height tacoma 4x4. Possibly add some 31's duratracs as well.

I have added spacer lifts to previous tacomas on the font and ad a leaf on the back. I noticed this is spring under is it possible to spring over? and add a spacer to the front? I will more than likely be removing the body kit as well if I can get something going.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
to go from xrunner to prerunner height you are looking at ALOT of work and money to do it right.. you can do it cheaply but then you are looking at a truck that will be very unstable in turns or bumps and higher chance to turn over.... it might be easier to trade for a prerunner.. IDK how much you are in your xrunner but i got the prerunner im in for 11,000... they may give you a great deal and easy payment
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Don't the X-Runners share pretty much the same suspension as the 5-lugs base models? If so, then your options are pretty limited methinks.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
TastyTaco will become famous soon enoughTastyTaco will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by miacevedo View Post
Have you thought about trading it for a prerunner?
Idealistically I want a 4cyl 4x4 AC. However my Tundra was a 2012 so when I traded it in it was not the best deal. I mainly did this trade for gas mileage and lower monthly payment with a shorter loan term.

Lets just say trading it in would not be the best deal for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
My truck has 54,000 miles and is an 05. Lets just say I paid near 20k with my negative. A dealer would only give me about 15 if I am lucky. I need to keep this for at least a year before I would be able to sell or trade it in.

But like I said i am not looking for a huge lift just something at stock height. I figure at least a couple inches on the suspension with some bigger a/t tires would be sufficient enough for me.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-LIFT-KIT-FRONT-2-5-REAR-1-5-2-ADD-A-LEAF-SPRING-2WD-4X2-5-LUG-ONLY-/181082441680?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Model%3ATacoma|Year%3A2005&hash=item2a295ac7 d0&vxp=mtr

Installation video for a similar lift.
http://www.readylift.com/p-115-toyot...tallation.aspx
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
it should work... alot of people do this kind of lift but it wont bring you up to Prerunner height..
Old 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrick1215 View Post
it should work... alot of people do this kind of lift but it wont bring you up to Prerunner height..
I found many threads related to this in the 5lug section and like you said many have people have installed these kits.

I plan on purchasing some 31's 245/75/17 to be exact it should be a 3.9" increase from the current tire/wheel setup add that to the 2.75 fat bobs lift I should be looking good.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Mr.Schertz is on a distinguished road

Mr.Schertz's Tacoma Gallery
Dude,just keep the xrunner as is until you pay on it a couple of years. When you get it paid down to where the value is worth the trade then get yourself something different.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Not much thought before making that purchase?

What do you gain by lifting it? What is wrong with the way it is?

An x-runner will not look better lifted, and your mpg will drop.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
TRDoffroad is on a distinguished road
Name: Jen
TRDoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
I think it looks great how it is now
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Op if you want a nice ride Id say go with the sway coil overs up front with the total chaos upper control arms. For the rear add a leaf with 5100
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I would also stop to think about the resale value on a lifted X-runner. It sounds like you are already upside-down on your loan.
I'd pay it down as fast as possible and trade for a used 4x4 if that's what you really want.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyTaco View Post
I do not want to put a 6" lift on this truck just make it a normal height tacoma 4x4. Possibly add some 31's duratracs as well.
Maybe not a 6" lift but do you realize that the x-runner is 4.7" lower than the height you want.

You are going to squander money and make an x-runner possibly unsellable?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck have absolutely no resale value in five years.

Trade it in on a 6 lug truck!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery