Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Body Kit Bandaids

Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
ALL Good is on a distinguished road

ALL Good's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Body Kit Bandaids

Hey everyone. I've had the x-runner for about a year now and baffled things up with the body kit not knowing the full extend of how low the x-runner really sits. Really mad at myself, but I know some touch up is in the trucks future.

The body kit holes that the clips slide into a few have busted out. My fix was a horrible looking zip tie quick fix so it wouldn't slide on the road while driving.

My idea of a good fix for now without buying a whole new body kit. Is too drill some small holes where the holes are and put a bolt, washer w/ rubber gaskets on each side to avoid scratching, and a nut to hold the body kit in place. Instead of stainless steel i'm hoping to find a matte black screw or have them powder coated, but alas thats my idea.

Any input is always accepted. Pics below

Thanks
-kcco-
Attached Thumbnails
Body Kit Bandaids-20130716_153041.jpg   Body Kit Bandaids-20130716_153102.jpg   Body Kit Bandaids-20130716_153125.jpg   Body Kit Bandaids-20130716_153139.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Canadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanadian Girl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kim
Canadian Girl's Tacoma Gallery
Google a shop near you that does plastic welding. Then replace the clips. No need to buy new skirts. just get the damaged areas fixed from the inside and goodto go
Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
06 xrunner is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
06 xrunner's Tacoma Gallery
If your side skirts are broken at all just use some epoxy on the clip to the skirt and after it dries pop it back in the hole. I've had to do that a couple times and it holds great but haven't had any problem with the front or back which are held on differently
Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
ALL Good is on a distinguished road

ALL Good's Tacoma Gallery
The Fix

Thanks for the tips and ideaers up here. We all know body kits are lovely and super sweet, but can crack and break at any time and its not all good.

For my rear kit I took off the kit and sawed off the clips that popped into the holes. From there i went and bought some stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts. This allowed me to have the washer and nut on the outside while having the nut inside. Going on 2 months or so and its still tight after some rigorous driving around town and interstate.

Pictures included

Was trying to do the front, but found out I had to have at least an inch longer bolt. And I drilled a hole in the wrong spot than the hole that was for the clip. Had to re-drill a hole, which isn't no big deal. But if you do the front. There is a black bar infront of the radiator and you can either reach up under it or if I had access to an actual lift it would be alot easier to get in.

Plastic welder?! In my area I'd have better luck with making a new body kit myself lol

Side ones are still in tact, but will poxy when I need it. Hopefully, I don't!
Attached Thumbnails
Body Kit Bandaids-20131029_080910.jpg   Body Kit Bandaids-20131029_080918.jpg