Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Synthetic vs Reg Oil in a low milage Tacoma

Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
dmharvey79 has a spectacular aura aboutdmharvey79 has a spectacular aura aboutdmharvey79 has a spectacular aura about
Army: 10th Mountain Infantry Division (li)
Name: Dennis
dmharvey79's Tacoma Gallery
I've always ran whatever the manufacturer recommends, two exceptions being my E36 M3 (7500rpm redline) and my SHO (twin turbo)...because I drove the hell out of both of those cars on a daily basis.

For most NA engines, like those in the Tacoma, I personally see no reason to go with synthetic oil since they're pretty basic engines. My wife's Corolla has 180k on the clock and it runs like new with nothing but cheap bulk oil swapped out every 3-4k miles.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Nothing Witty To Say
voz is on a distinguished road

voz's Tacoma Gallery
I have been running walmart brand full synthetic in all my cars since 2002. No issues whatsoever.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mobi 1 full synthetic for my taco. It just gives me a sense of security. I don't know why and I also use it in my 2-wheel cruiser.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #24
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I like Mobil1 full synthetic. Cost isn't that much more, and just about every high mileage thread I see has that oil used...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #25
mycroft is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avionics
mycroft's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
Wow, it's surprising that tests conducted by AMSOIL confirm that AMSOIL is better than Mobil 1...
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #27
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I have no doubt Amsoil is superior. Whether or not it's superior properties will benefit enough to be worth the price depends on usage. I know only two people who used Amsoil religiously and one suffered engine damage. I didn't get to do the tear down because I wasn't available, the mechanic who fixed it cited lack of service as the cause and found lots of gunk/sludge in the engine. He was using the 25k mile extended drain stuff and their best filter, I have no idea if he was keeping to it or letting it go over. The only safe way I see to benefit from an extended drain oil is to spend more money and do analysis. My brother was doing analysis on his truck and found that even with the dino oil Walmart was using he was able to go well past the suggested drain intervals. Any modern oil will keep your engine alive a very long time if you change it when it's time. 3 out of 5 of my most often used vehicles get synthetic, the less used get dino, my 2 stroke boat gets blend, and the other boat used to get dino and now gets syn. The parked vehicles are all on dino as are my other engines (generators, lawn tools, etc.) Never had a lubrication issue with anything except an old lawnmower that was on dino and my nephew ran it out of oil.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #28
mycroft is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avionics
mycroft's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Amsoil in numerous applications since 1981. When used as instructed Amsoil has shown that it performs as Amsoil says it will. Amsoil is known as the world leader in synthetics and invented the first api/sae approved synthetic in 1972 and it was Mobil who ripped off Amsoil, not the other way around. I would challenge anyone to conduct their own test against any lubricant made by anyone at any price. Amsoil warrants their oil and you can see that warranty at Amsoil.com. No other manufacturer has anything similar. Use what you want but Amsoil has always been the best.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
I have used Amsoil in numerous applications since 1981. When used as instructed Amsoil has shown that it performs as Amsoil says it will. Amsoil is known as the world leader in synthetics and invented the first api/sae approved synthetic in 1972 and it was Mobil who ripped off Amsoil, not the other way around. I would challenge anyone to conduct their own test against any lubricant made by anyone at any price. Amsoil warrants their oil and you can see that warranty at Amsoil.com. No other manufacturer has anything similar. Use what you want but Amsoil has always been the best.
Sounds like an Amsoil salesman. The analytical data Amsoil uses to show their superiority is a good indicator of their product's attributes, but it doesn't prove how well the oil will perform in an engine. Their cost per year stats use MSRP prices of oils, theirs is the only one not available at half MSRP. They show Mobil1 at over $9/qt and we know Walmart sells it for under $5. Their tests did reveal something interesting, Penzoil ultra which I've started using instead of Mobil1 has very good attributes for a $5 oil.

Mobil 1 did come after Amsoil, but there was no "ripping off" as they use different methods and base stocks. It's like saying that the first maker of smokeless gun powder "ripped off" the Chinese who invented black powder in the 9th century. Amsoil publicly welcomed Mobil1 stating that they believed it would increase their sales. They both have similar product defect warrantee coverage. Amsoil requires the vehicle owner to obtain and send in an oil sample, Mobil only requires that the owner allow Mobil to obtain a sample from the engine if they choose to. Amsoil has a much longer list of exclusions to warrantee coverage. Sounds to me like Mobil has a better warrantee. Mobil 1 is factory fill on many high end cars; Amsoil? Cost and availability make Mobil and all the other synthetics very attractive. Does Amsoil's -50 degree pour point benefit me in So. Cal.? Does it's higher flash point really benefit my Taco who's oil will never get hot enough to damage even the cheapest oil? Does a high mileage interval benefit me when my truck will do 3k miles/year and have to be changed anyway? None of my engines have 4 balls rotating under pressure at room temperature. Any oil will protect a long time. I bought a Nissan truck that had gone 4 years and 42K miles on factory dino oil and was still running fine even tho it was down to under 2 qts. I sold it a few years later still running fine and I used only the cheapest oils and filters. Mobil is easier to get, cheaper, and is easier to obtain warrantee from. Using Amsoil's best stuff it'd cost me $75 to do an oil change on my Taco. Using the 'Amsoil's best' thought I should also do the trans, diff, air filter... If i did all my vehicles I'd have to mortgage the house.
Oil battles will continue forever. I'm in no way saying that Amsoil isn't great, but it's cost ins't justifiable to me or many other people.