Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

tranny grinds going into 3rd gear

Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
ayesijuan is on a distinguished road
Navy: 20 year sentence in the Navy as an Interior Communications Tech.
Name: Mike
ayesijuan's Tacoma Gallery
tranny grinds going into 3rd gear

Has anyone had this problem before? What is the cause? It doesn't do it all of the time but when I shift at 3k or higher it does it.

Thanks,
Ayesijuan
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
If your not having any other related issues your not informing us of then the most logical conclusion is you are starting to lose your third gear syncro.
I will only get worse as time goes on.

You didn't mention about extended or aftermarket warr. so i assume not.
Myself, the first thing i would do is a fluid change if you have not done this yet. It's a simple/cheap thing to try and may help the situation.

Some have reported chunkiness and other shifting issues and doing a fluid replacement improved the situation.

It's a big repair job regardless.

I can't remember if the shop has ever had to replace a taco std. trans yet.
I know I have never had to tear one down for ext. warr.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
The good thing (i hope) is that I have a life time warranty on eng. and tranny when I bought it @ 97K miles, it has 125K now but I don't know if just the synchro going out would cover it or if it has to totally fail. I have to check my records, but I think I had the tranny fluid changed about a year ago but I don't know if the put the correct fluid in, I have heard it is suppose to be Redline, is this true?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayesijuan View Post
The good thing (i hope) is that I have a life time warranty on eng. and tranny when I bought it @ 97K miles, it has 125K now but I don't know if just the synchro going out would cover it or if it has to totally fail. I have to check my records, but I think I had the tranny fluid changed about a year ago but I don't know if the put the correct fluid in, I have heard it is suppose to be Redline, is this true?
Redline is a brand name. Any oil of factory spec would work.
You will need to get it looked at and see what they say. A total failure would be un-shiftable. It will be in their hands how they handle it. They may say drive it longer but make darn sure you know the warr. And the limitations. Get it in writing... Outside warr. Contracts are a pita. I deal with them a lot and it's NEVER, EVER smooth......
Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Use oem recommended fluid. Using aftermarket fluid will forever changes the coefficient of friction, which can never be undone. If it grinds only in that gear, your synchronizer assembly is probably worn out. It happens.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Haha! I thought I was the only one that used "pita". Thanks for the help.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Haha! I thought I was the only one that used "pita". Thanks for the help.
He'll no. And I use it very often....
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
TheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TheGoat's Tacoma Gallery
Its been happening since 05. Toyota doesn't seem to know how to fix the problem.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...31#post2017331

Google "3rd gear grind toyota tacoma"
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Chuck your carpet floor mats and get weathertech liners. Then slide your seat up one more click. The carpet floor mats sometimes keep the clutch pedal from going all the way to the floor. When I got weathertech floor liners I trimmed the driver's side a little bit because it looked like the clutch pedal could catch on it. You could also change your transmission oil to a synthetic GL-4 oil like Redline MT90 or Amsoil manual transmission 75W-90.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That may explain a grind into every gear, not just 3rd though.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
He'll no. And I use it very often....
Yeah, and I call them either hemmoroids or upgrade them to syphilus depending on degree of pain they are! haha!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #12
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I need that warranty!

Good luck with whatever is wrong, hoping its covered or not too expensive... I'd agree with synchro tho.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I need that warranty!

Good luck with whatever is wrong, hoping its covered or not too expensive... I'd agree with synchro tho.
Yeah, not only was I lucky to even find an X-Runner (and in blue) around Austin but the dealer is a Dodge dealership and this is their Warranty on any used car under 100k miles as long as you own it. Kewl!

I am going to look around for the paperwork or call them and get back as to just how good it really is.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
Mountain girl is on a distinguished road
Mountain girl's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 2012 Toyota Tacoma reg cab. It sounds and feels like the tranny slips In 4th gear when I power up a hill Took it to the service dept. the guys like you have to run your RPMs higher! Is that true???? It slips in 5th also.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Mountain girl is on a distinguished road
Mountain girl's Tacoma Gallery
It only has 9200 miles on it!!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain girl View Post
It only has 9200 miles on it!!
If it is slipping, IT'S SLIPPING.
If you lug the engine down and accelerate, the engine should NEVER override the clutch.
Take it back and show them again. The clutches stink in these trucks.
He's just trying to have you eliminate the torque.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Now I have a new twist, when I have driven about 15-20 minutes it stops grinding then after it sits for awhile it does it again for 15-20 minutes. Do you think they didn't put enough tranny oil when they did the service?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
I always lube my tranny before going to third base, I mean third gear... wait, what?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
RocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RocktheRed's Tacoma Gallery
All I saw before I clicked was "tranny"