Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

xrunner and prerunner gears?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
AZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud of
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
xrunner and prerunner gears?

As far as i know, engine, tranny and gearbox are the same on both models. Yet i can't find anybody that changed the 3.15 gears on an Xrunner with the 3.73 gears off the Prerunner. Does anybody know if it's a possible swap at all, or is it that nobody does it for other reasons...?
I'm thinking a 3.73 set of gears coupled to a better clutch and short shifter should make for a bitchin time in an Xrunner...?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know the X had 3.15 gears. What is the top speed? It would be higher than a PreRunner with 3.73s right?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
AZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud of
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed_SS View Post
I didn't know the X had 3.15 gears. What is the top speed? It would be higher than a PreRunner with 3.73s right?
Its supposed to be 120 top for both. I think the Prerunner has the higher gears for the heavy wheel/tire combo and towing. But in an XR you could use the higher gears for some get up and go...that's what i want
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I hear you. Who doesn't want to go faster.

Maybe you could check around some junk yards or something. Or were you thinking about buying them new?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the X runner used the same rear end as the 5 luggers......7.5"
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I thought the X runner used the same rear end as the 5 luggers......7.5"
No. All 5-lug V6 Tacomas to date (1995.5 - now) use the so-called '8.4' rear end that's also used in the non-locker 4X4's and PreRunners.

The '7.5' is only used with 4-cylinder 5-luggers.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
xrunner rear gear is 3.15. top speed is listed as 124.

there are a few people on XRU and CT doing the rear gear swap. but to go to a 3.73, your going to need the whole 3rd member, and not just the gear set.

check out these links

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...7&postcount=25

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...d.php?t=15384&

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...d.php?t=15176&

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...d.php?t=21822&
Old 07-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
No. All 5-lug V6 Tacomas to date (1995.5 - now) use the so-called '8.4' rear end that's also used in the non-locker 4X4's and PreRunners.

The '7.5' is only used with 4-cylinder 5-luggers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post

there are a few people on XRU and CT doing the rear gear swap. but to go to a 3.73, your going to need the whole 3rd member, and not just the gear set.

check out these links

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21822&

I heard they were different, but never heard what the difference is. Being as the third had to be swapped, I guessed the X's ussed the 7.5" third. Good info, Jax!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
Find a 3rd member, and let's try it. I'll help you swap it out down at my shop. I've only driven a couple of the XR's, but they always seemed to be geared too (numerically) high as it is. I'd be interested to see what happens when you got to the 3.73's in the rear.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i think i remember hearing that in 6th at 60mph, the rpms bump up from 2k, to around 3k if not higher with 3.73s. 3k rpms is around 90 stock so that shows your the difference.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

check out these links

I appreciate the help....though it got me more confused than anything. Apparently there are issues with the LSD and speedo. They don't talk prices much, but it sounds like a pricey mod, usualy it shouldn't be....i'll look more into it though, ive always been a big gear ratio beliver, clutch shifter and tires, before any horsepower mods
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
parts are pretty pricey as you either have to find a used setup, or go to the dealer. no company makes the gear sets for our trucks. also the same with the speedo. No one has made a correction tool/calibrator for us either as far as we know.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
Quote:
parts are pretty pricey as you either have to find a used setup, or go to the dealer. no company makes the gear sets for our trucks. also the same with the speedo. No one has made a correction tool/calibrator for us either as far as we know.
The Hypertech one works for the 2005-08's I thought.
http://www.hypertech.com/Products/In...rator%20Module
Part #730107
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
has anyone had sucess with it?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

check out these links

I'm still a little lost with the "3rd member" term. Never heard it before. Is that the rear end, like with the axle on it and all??
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
toyota axles use a setup similar to the ford 9" and old eaton axles. The differential and gear set are in a "chunk" that are easily removable and able to work on.

so basically you can buy a fully built 3rd member, and just swap it in without having to do any addition work. If we had a semi-floater with c-clips, then we'd have to do the gear swap and everything in the axle, which sometimes is a pain in the ass.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind...i got it now
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
I'll still help you swap out the 3rd members if you want. Shouldn't take but about 30-40 minutes, and I've got the gear lube on hand.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
How do i make sure that the 3rd member does not have e-locker? There's a guy around here that's trying to sell the whole rear end (axle and all) off an 07 Prerunner....maybe i can get him to sell me just the 3rd member ....which is why i wanna know what in hell i'm looking for....my construction background does not seem to help me understand diffs...