1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

drifting suspension set up

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by I<3JDM, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    JDM rice got you looking like WTF
    see ya lookin' mod
    what is a good suspension set up to drift in the x runner? tire size? rim size? spacers? control arms? coil spring rate? bushings? sway arms? lowering blocks or leafs? etc.

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'll probably have better luck at a drifting forum. There isn't much experience on thay kinda stuff around here....

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    On my rc I put electrical tape around the tires. That seemed to help a lot so maybe you could try that.

In all seriousness though you will probably have more luck at a drifting forum as stated earlier or maybe even xru.

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    XRU is a good place to start. don't really go onto a car forum, wont really help you that much suspension wise. 240s usually don't have leafs springs and a live axle to deal with lol

no ones really set a truck up for pure drift yet, but you would need to search around XRU to make sure. how far are you going to go with the build? there are a few suspension options out there, sittin sic makes coils for the front and composite leafs, which would probably your best bet. they also make sway bars and now have an adjustable rear one as well

for the rear i would think that the smaller the block the better, and the composite mono leafs are a good (and franky, only at this time) choice. the bigger block you have the greater the distance and leverage the axle has on the leafs, which is not good. URD also makes a traction bar that will help to alleviate some axle hop and wrap, as well as the CalTrac system. there are also rear shocks that are out, QA1s, that are a good upgrade from the stockers.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    thanx bro, yeah i got a account with XRU but theres so much haters up in that bi$atch.

good info on the suspension help. im looking into the leafs and the rear sway bars. do you know if you have to remove the x brace to install the sittin sic rear sway bar?

Alohaz bro

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
    your not the kid who did the gear swap are you?

xbrace is in no way going to intefere with the SS sways. they just replace the stock sways that are already there.

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    well yeah, i kinda want to stay away from negative vibes bro. whats the sense of putting someone down and feeding bad comments about building a truck. i think everyone has their own taste in customizing their ride. there are guys up in that forum that i never met or talked to and they just talk some mad $hit about my truck. not being a cry baby or anythin, but dam yo learn some respect for others.:D

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    oh no bro that aint me. sorry. so what is a gear swap? sorry not really a mechanic more of a auto body person.

ok thanks for the info on the sway bars

alohaz

9. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    gear swap: changing your diff gear to a higher or lower ratio due to larger tires or looking for more power :)

10. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    They are jealous that they don't live in as awesome of a state as you do:D

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    your killing me smalls.

if you really want to set up a drifter, buy an 87 toyota pickup and drop in a chevy small block 350 on AR 14" rims and just dump the clutch. someone on this site has a video im sure

not a yota but you get it

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="

sorry for the double f-ing video but youtube and me are in a fight

12. Apr 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod

THANKS BRO wow! lmao its a drifting truck yo! thats freakin kool, thanks again for the video bro.
    Mahalo

13. Apr 8, 2010 at 2:24 AM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    oh ok i get it:D, thanks that sounds like a good mod.

14. Apr 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    Much Mahalo's and Aloha Bro. yes Hawaii is a beautiful state but its gettin over populated here in oahu. i wish there was a bridge that connects to all of the 8 islands. LMAO some day..

im originaly from San jose CA i kinda like the open area instead of being stuck on a rock.

15. Apr 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    yeah like said above performance wise the sittin sic track ready drop would probably be the best bet, it comes with the sway bars f and r, composite leafs and lower coils

nice truck btw i looked at your profile pics it looks sick!

16. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    jdmbooger

jdmbooger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Double Cab
    Method wheels Falken tires TRD Pro grill Yakima gatekeeper pad Lots of stickers
  17. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
  18. Apr 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    my suggestion is get yourself a custom 4-link rear setup and have them incorporate some dual adjustable coil overs for both the front and rear...you would probably need some aftermarket UCA's that way you can correct the angle of the rim and not have too much of a camber...

it really depends on how much you are willing to spend...

good luck and keep us posted...

19. Apr 13, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod
    yeah the sic track ready kit caught my eye too. the price is not so bad either.

lol my truck is only for looks so far (all show, no go for now) thanks bro

20. Apr 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM
    I<3JDM

I<3JDM [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JayHayAre
    HI State 808 Reppin'
    Vehicle:
    see ya lookin' mod

Products Discussed in