Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   X-Runners (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/x-runners/)
-   -   URD Supergrip 2.825" s/c pulley (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/x-runners/256756-urd-supergrip-2-825-s-c-pulley.html)

Detective_Dan 01-06-2013 01:43 PM

URD Supergrip 2.825" s/c pulley

Just ordered one and the press tool, anybody installed one? What pulley puller tool did you use/ would you recommend?

2013NauticalTaco 01-06-2013 05:33 PM

Curious about this myself i would like to get a s/c and wonder if this ups the psi too much or would it be ok with the stock lower and upper end

Detective_Dan 01-06-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013NauticalTaco (Post 6234032)
Curious about this myself i would like to get a s/c and wonder if this ups the psi too much or would it be ok with the stock lower and upper end

It will be fine. That's not what this thread is about

/threadjack

Athlaos 01-07-2013 08:45 PM

I did buy this and the installer tool. I tried doing it myself, but I put a lot of force on the old pulley and it didn't budge, so I opted to have a mechanic do it. It made me nervous as hell to have someone else work on my supercharger, but I figured it would have a better chance of being hassle-free if someone experienced did it. They charged me about $120 in labor.

Athlaos 01-07-2013 08:54 PM

Also, to satisfy your thread jacker, the supercharger boost is fine, even with the smaller pulley, but you'll need the URD 255lph fuel pump kit upgrade to get the most out of it. I noticed a power plateau at 4500rpm even without the smaller pulley, but that is gone now that the new pump is in. Also I could swear my fuel economy is better with the new fuel pump. But that might just be the outrageous losers on the road forcing me below the speed limit on the way to work for the past few days.

My68ur8trd 01-09-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective_Dan (Post 6232762)
Just ordered one and the press tool, anybody installed one? What pulley puller tool did you use/ would you recommend?

You can use a 3 jaw puller from autozone. It will build up a lot of tension before it actually moves, then you can crank it off. It will pop.

I had some issues putting the new one on ( twice on two trucks). Heat the pulley up in boiling water and cool the blower shaft with ice and move quick to get it back on.

I broke the hardened stud on the press tool twice installing the pulley ( on two different trucks).

Taking the pulley off was never a problem

Justin

Detective_Dan 01-09-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My68ur8trd (Post 6247224)
You can use a 3 jaw puller from autozone. It will build up a lot of tension before it actually moves, then you can crank it off. It will pop.

I had some issues putting the new one on ( twice on two trucks). Heat the pulley up in boiling water and cool the blower shaft with ice and move quick to get it back on.

I broke the hardened stud on the press tool twice installing the pulley ( on two different trucks).

Justin

So if you break the stud on the press tool you're pretty much screwed at that point or no?

My68ur8trd 01-10-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective_Dan (Post 6247655)
So if you break the stud on the press tool you're pretty much screwed at that point or no?

technically no.

In my case, one of them broke before the pulley was all the way on, so I was able to back the broken stud out and replace it ( it is replaceable in the tool) and crank it the rest of the way down.

The second one broke flush, but a reverse drill bit took it right back out. That was my fault though, you have to watch it close and the pulley had bottomed out and I gave it one more crank and POP..

Gadget updated the tool with a roller bearing to lower the loading on it and I dont think the issue happens any more.

He kept asking me how I was breaking them lol.

Justin

Detective_Dan 01-10-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My68ur8trd (Post 6252533)
technically no.

In my case, one of them broke before the pulley was all the way on, so I was able to back the broken stud out and replace it ( it is replaceable in the tool) and crank it the rest of the way down.

The second one broke flush, but a reverse drill bit took it right back out. That was my fault though, you have to watch it close and the pulley had bottomed out and I gave it one more crank and POP..

Gadget updated the tool with a roller bearing to lower the loading on it and I dont think the issue happens any more.

He kept asking me how I was breaking them lol.

Justin

lol at least G fixed the problem (i hope)

are there any other tools needed other than a strap wrench, puller and press tool? any bolt that needs to go into the pulley snout or anything like that?

sorry to ask so many dumb questions. this is my only vehicle and i dont want to F something up and be screwed with no ride for a while

My68ur8trd 01-10-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective_Dan (Post 6253808)
lol at least G fixed the problem (i hope)

are there any other tools needed other than a strap wrench, puller and press tool? any bolt that needs to go into the pulley snout or anything like that?

sorry to ask so many dumb questions. this is my only vehicle and i dont want to F something up and be screwed with no ride for a while

The pulley should come with a button head bolt to protect the shaft when using. The puller. Other than that nope...it's pretty straight forward

Justin

Detective_Dan 01-10-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My68ur8trd (Post 6256399)
The pulley should come with a button head bolt to protect the shaft when using. The puller. Other than that nope...it's pretty straight forward

Justin

got it in the mail today and i see what you're talking about. thanks for the help justin

navarski 08-28-2013 10:49 AM

strap wrench???

I know the strap wrench is to keep the pulley straigh when installing.. But where do you position the strap wrench in order to keep the pulley straight.?
:confused:

rat107 12-06-2013 08:16 AM

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../urdpulley.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...oma/image.jpeg

Use a strap wrench to keep the pulley from turning when installing.

Since it's a press fit be sure the motor is stone cold before installation. I heated the pulley with a blow drier before I installed it. Make sure to oil the supercharger shaft with motor oil and grease the bearing and threads of the URD installation tool.

My boost went up 2 psi with noticeable power increases throughout the range. TRD reflash handles the pulley upgrade fine.

Justus 01-12-2014 03:32 AM

A blow drier?!

Anyone use air in a can upside down to cool the shaft before install?

Detective_Dan 01-12-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justus (Post 7995175)
A blow drier?!

Anyone use air in a can upside down to cool the shaft before install?

No, but it would probably take the whole can to cool it. Then You would have that weird smell in your nostrils for a week lol

Delmarva 01-12-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective_Dan (Post 7995303)
No, but it would probably take the whole can to cool it. Then You would have that weird smell in your nostrils for a week lol

Lol

Justus 01-12-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detective_Dan (Post 7995303)

Never smelled it before... I'll take ur word on that :)

memario1214 01-12-2014 12:29 PM

I put the pulley in a pot of water on a propane burner right next to where I was working. Worked great. No real value in trying to ice the shaft :spy:

Detective_Dan 01-12-2014 04:09 PM

I put a rag down in boiling water with the edges of the rag hanging over the edge of the pot with the pulley in the rag. That way when it was boiling and finished I could grab the edges of the rag lift it out of the water and place it directly onto the shaft and start pressing with the tool. Worked like a champ

Redline 03-12-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My68ur8trd (Post 6247224)

Justin

can i just get the 3 jaw puller instead of the pulley press tool from urd?