1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body Kit Bandaids

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by ALL Good, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jul 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    ALL Good

ALL Good [OP] New Member

Member:
    Powder Coated Rims, taillights, I want to replace Emblems, Grill(black honeycomb), exhaust, headlights, radio to aftermarket with subs, add a CB radio, under mount ball hitch, and bed tie down rings.
    Hey everyone. I've had the x-runner for about a year now and baffled things up with the body kit not knowing the full extend of how low the x-runner really sits. Really mad at myself, but I know some touch up is in the trucks future.

The body kit holes that the clips slide into a few have busted out. My fix was a horrible looking zip tie quick fix so it wouldn't slide on the road while driving.

My idea of a good fix for now without buying a whole new body kit. Is too drill some small holes where the holes are and put a bolt, washer w/ rubber gaskets on each side to avoid scratching, and a nut to hold the body kit in place. Instead of stainless steel i'm hoping to find a matte black screw or have them powder coated, but alas thats my idea.

Any input is always accepted. Pics below

Thanks
    -kcco-

20130716_153041.jpg
    20130716_153102.jpg
    20130716_153125.jpg
    20130716_153139.jpg

2. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    Google a shop near you that does plastic welding. Then replace the clips. No need to buy new skirts. just get the damaged areas fixed from the inside and goodto go :)

3. Oct 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    06 xrunner

06 xrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP Xrunner
    Sittin Sic drop, projector headlights with 6000K HID kit, tinted fogs, tinted third brake light, BTLM, URD short shift,LED dash color change
    If your side skirts are broken at all just use some epoxy on the clip to the skirt and after it dries pop it back in the hole. I've had to do that a couple times and it holds great but haven't had any problem with the front or back which are held on differently

4. Oct 29, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    ALL Good

ALL Good [OP] New Member

Member:
    Powder Coated Rims, taillights, I want to replace Emblems, Grill(black honeycomb), exhaust, headlights, radio to aftermarket with subs, add a CB radio, under mount ball hitch, and bed tie down rings.
    Thanks for the tips and ideaers up here. We all know body kits are lovely and super sweet, but can crack and break at any time and its not all good.

For my rear kit I took off the kit and sawed off the clips that popped into the holes. From there i went and bought some stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts. This allowed me to have the washer and nut on the outside while having the nut inside. Going on 2 months or so and its still tight after some rigorous driving around town and interstate.

Pictures included :)

Was trying to do the front, but found out I had to have at least an inch longer bolt. And I drilled a hole in the wrong spot than the hole that was for the clip. Had to re-drill a hole, which isn't no big deal. But if you do the front. There is a black bar infront of the radiator and you can either reach up under it or if I had access to an actual lift it would be alot easier to get in.

Plastic welder?! In my area I'd have better luck with making a new body kit myself lol

Side ones are still in tact, but will poxy when I need it. Hopefully, I don't!

20131029_080910.jpg
    20131029_080918.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top