1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advantage TorzaTop Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by NAYo2002, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I just received my soft folding tonneau -- TorzaTop made by Advantage Truck Accessories -- today. Torza Top is very similar to Extang Trifecta but has different style clamps and metal. I hope this helps people who are looking for a bed cover for their 2nd generation Tacomas.

Pros:
    - Extremely easy to install. No drill no tools. Only annoying thing was that you have to remove the end piece of the factory rails on the tailgate side.
    - Easy to remove in case you need full use of your bed. You can toss it in the cab and no one will even know it was there since all the pieces stay with the cover. You also have full use of your bed rails and cleats once it's removed.
    - Very good at keeping things dry. I went all around the truck with my garden hose. It's not perfectly water tight but the water that gets in is very minimal. Even with a full bast with my garden hose, I could only get just a few drops in from the cab-side corners where there's a small gap. It shouldn't be an issue if in the rain since there's no way water could fall in from that angle.
    - It looks very nice and almost seems like a factory option from Toyota. See pics below and judge for yourself.
    - The metal feels very solid. I was doubtful as to its strength when I was researching for a tonneau.
    - Lockable, the front two clamps can be locked with a regular padlock for added security.
    - A tad bit more secure than Trifecta since the tailgate side clamps aren't spring loaded therefore have no flex if you try to lift it.

Cons:
    - As any soft tops, it could be cut if someone wants to steal your cargo. It only keeps the good people honest by not letting them see what's in the bed of your truck.
    - Although the cover itself is lockable, it doesn't protect your cargo since your tailgate can still be opened. You'll need a locking tailgate whereas something like Undercover would secure the tailgate also.
    - As stated earlier, you do have to remove the rubber end piece on the factory railing. It might not be an issue with long beds based on pictures I have seen on TW.

Truck is a bit dirty but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You could drive it in this position. It folds and locks into place for driving with some tall cargo.
    [​IMG]

Just one fold to load your cargo. You shouldn't drive in this position.
    [​IMG]

Clamps that hold the top in place... as you can see you still have full use of your cargo rails and cleats. The only annoying thing is that you have to remove the rubber piece on tailgate side of the rails in order to clamp down.
    [​IMG]

For intallation watch this vid... it has a premier fabric instead of vinyl though. You won't need that foam tape thing on Tacomas. There's also no flap thing to tuck in. There's just a rubber tube seal since our tailgates are slighty lower then the side rails.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FkAytTU6WM

This is the the HardHat. Basically the same thing as TorzaTop but Hard Hat has a hard layer under the vinyl.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADToSUlvqE

Feel free to ask any questions... I'll do my best to answer :proposetoast:

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I was about to ask if you wanted to do a follow-up on your cover after having it for a while, and then I noticed you just posted this two days ago. lol.
    Anyway, how were the last two days? I'm stuck between the soft and the hard. If price wasn't an issue, would you still go for the soft?

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    If price really isn't an issue I'd go for the HardHat. I like my top just fine but it never hurts to have extra protection since I'm not sure how it'd handle a heavy snow storm.... will follow up when it happens :).

I just got the soft because it's about $220 cheaper on Amazon.com and only really needed something to keep cargo dry for unexpected rain. I hate going on trips with 3 friends in my D-Cab and having to risk luggage in the bed getting wet. It was annoying on the way back from Big Sky in December when it rained and we had to decide what items we'll bring in the cab.

I also believe that if someone wants to steal your stuff, they will find a way no matter what kind of top you have. Having your things out of sight makes a huge difference by keeping good people honest. I can't imagine too many people going around opening tailgates just to see what you have in there.

If you are considering Undercover or Armor Lid, there are three reasons why I decided to not go with those: size, design, and price. First, those things are huge and will not easily toss in to the cab (if you have access or d-cab) like a trifold if you need to pick up something tall.

Second, the new undercover may work better, but I read reviews about how the original spills water into the bed when you open it while still wet. Also, I didn't like how the hinges are held together by a key ring or that you won't be able to use your bed rail cleats.

Third, best price I could find was $600 shipped for Armor Lid and $700 for Undercover. Though they do provide superior protection agaist thieft and I'll pay the price difference if it weren't for the first two reasons, I can't justify spending over $300 extra for something I'll just use to keep stuff dry.

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Here's a picture I took today with the cover on. Just in case someone wanted to see how it looks with a different angle:

[​IMG]

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  6. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Any thoughts on the Premiere Torza?
    Also, I read that you have to remove some of the bed liner (rail near the tailgate) to make this thing fit?

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Not the bed liner... it's the rubber end piece on the railing: look where the first clamp goes into the railing in this picture (top left,) there is normally an end piece:

[​IMG]

8. Apr 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Ohhh the thingie that pops out? Cool. np!

9. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Yep.. I put it in the compartment under rear seats just in case I need them (don't really see why I'd ever need them, but it doesn't hurt to keep them.) Doesn't seem to affect Janster... probably because she has a long bed.

About your other question, I considered the Premiere fabric. It costs about $100 more and definitly looks classier and has a covertible top look. I just thought it might be a bit harder to keep clean.

10. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Have you taken it to one of those automatic touchless carwashes? Should I take it off before washing in those?

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I took it to a carwash once - not sure its considered touchless. It has those rubbery things that rub up againest your truck. Didn't harm anything - thank god. I had to sign a liability waiver before going through...because I had the top.

Probably a good idea to take it off, since its sooo easy to remove.

I didn't install the top myself. They (installer) put those rubber end-caps back on after they put the alluminum clamps through it.

12. Apr 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    On the short bed, I did'nt put them back on because of the clamps goes in about half inch away from the end of the railing. I could've put them on loosely (since they won't go back in all the way due to the clamps) but I rather keep them so they don't fall off.

13. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    sixdoubleseven

sixdoubleseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    Just picked up a Torza off Craigslist. I'll be installing tonight.

14. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Just a little update on the cover:
    Montana just got hit with a feakish snowstorm this morning (still going on non stop from 3AM to now which is 7:13PM) I had some work stuff in my bed and they were kept completely dry. In fact there was not even any water at all on my bed mat. There were a few drops coming in from the cab-side corners (due to a strong wind probably getting snow into the tiny gaps) but they went straight into the drain. It's handling snow better than I expect for a soft cover. Since it'll be snowing/raining for a week here, I'll keep you guys updated with pictures when I get a chance. ;)

15. Apr 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    sixdoubleseven

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    NAYo, do you happen to have any pointers for the install? The guy I bought it from didn't have any directions. I'm not sure what to do with the four metal brackets. Do they slide into the rails where the cleats go?

16. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    I think you got the older model with the metial brackets. If that's the case then I assume it would. I got the new design which clamps straight into the bed rails.

Janster has the older model with brackets. See here pictures for some guidance. I assume you'd have to remove the rubber piece on bedrail to install those brackets. Other than that, you could follow the instructions on this site:
    http://advantagetruckaccessories.com/torzatop.php

for Jan's pictures:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=16&page=2

Update:

I found installation instruction for Rugged Cover, which is similar to old style Torza I believe:
    http://www.ruggedliner.com/misc/tonneau_instruction.pdf

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    sixdoubleseven

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try to get it on tonight.

18. May 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    sixdoubleseven

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    Got the top installed - need to give it a cleaning this week. Thanks for the help NAYo.

[​IMG]
    IMG_3352_5da58ab58b36aebc031ff52a3bab636a9b5bad3d.jpg
    IMG_3353_2241b9d6c66a749901944cf25895e67aa0ce26e8.jpg
    [​IMG]

19. May 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I took some pictures after the snow melted. It handled pretty well, no sagging/stretching what so ever.
    [​IMG]

Also, I drove through heavy snow/slush and this is what it looked like inside. as you can see, it's virtually dry other than a few drops on the corner. Look at the dryness of the bed mat.
    [​IMG]

P.S.
    Those pics were from a couple of days ago. I took my truck for a warrenty repair today and saw that they took it through a free wash. Scared me for a bit since I had a bunch of stuff in the bed and still did not know how well the top is going to keep stuff dry in a carwash.

When I opened the tailgate to assess the damage, I was pleasantly surprised with how it kept things dry. There were a few drops here and there, mostly near the joint pieces, but overall no water got on to my coldweather bag or my gym gear. I'm pretty happy with the result ;)

20. May 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I took it in for a full carwash today. Clear coat protection, spray on wax, blowing drying, the whole nine basically. It definitly got more wet than it did at the Toyota's dealerships carwash but still not too bad I suppose. My stuff were still dry but I wouldnt recommend putting anything close to the edges.

This cover is definitely not water tight for carwashes. The one I went to had multiple pressure hoses spraying from all angles and it got a bit of water in the bed. Still not bad though, just don't go through a carwash with a bed full of concrete mix or something.

It's fine for normal driving in the rain just not carwashes with multiple pressure hoses blasting from all angles. Here's a picture after the wash. None of my stuff got wet since they were near the center of the bed and only the sides got wet:

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top