1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

‘04 2.7 vibration at idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kevins60, May 26, 2019.

1. May 26, 2019 at 3:25 AM
    Kevins60

Kevins60 [OP] axle wrap tells me my rear brakes are working

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Odessa FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 4cyl SR5 AT Pre-runner Garage Queen
    SCS Cruise Westin step bars Lund tonneau Jensen HU
    I have a slight vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel when the truck is idling. Only owned the truck for a couple months and it had a pretty noticeable shake at idle when I bought it. In the past month I’ve cleaned the MAF, TB and changed plugs and it’s way better but I still have this vibration I can feel when I rest my hand on the wheel. Doesn’t matter if the AC is on or not. Is that normal? What else can I do or where else should I look?

2. May 26, 2019 at 5:41 AM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    Some possible simple solutions:

Have you ever changed the power steering fluid? Take a turkey baster and suck some out and put it in a glass container. Compare the color to new fluid. If there is a significant difference, change it. Burnt odor and dark color can indicate old fluid. There are threads on here explaining that process.

Also, what's you idle speed? Maybe you engine is just simply idling to slow. Idle should be 650-750 rpm. Are you feeling the vibration in Park or Drive? If it's worse in Drive, might be idling to slow.

You could also have a small defect in the belt and when the RPMs are low, it's more noticeable. You could loosen the tensioner and run the engine for a minute with the belt not turning.

3. May 26, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    Kevins60

Kevins60 [OP] axle wrap tells me my rear brakes are working

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Odessa FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 4cyl SR5 AT Pre-runner Garage Queen
    SCS Cruise Westin step bars Lund tonneau Jensen HU
    Vibrates in park or drive and it’s a high frequency vibration not like the shake it had when I bought it. The vibration isn’t bad and I only feel it in the steering wheel-but I don’t know if it’s normal. At 91K miles, I haven’t changed the power steering fluid and there’s no service record of it being done. Radiator and brakes were flushed recently but never occurred to me to do power steering. Idle speed looks to be ok judging from the tach. Going to replace AC compressor bearing, idler pulley (chasing a noise when the AC is on) and belts anyway since I don’t have a record of them being replaced.

Wsidr1 likes this.
  4. May 27, 2019 at 12:07 AM
    DPTacomaGuy

DPTacomaGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4
    Could also be motor mount starting to go.

Ritchie likes this.
  5. May 27, 2019 at 3:36 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Check your exhaust. Get it to start vibrating and look under your truck to see if the exhaust is moving around. You’d be surprised at how much the exhaust system can shake a vehicle around.

Products Discussed in

To Top