1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

‘Minivan-duty’ 2GR-FKS break-down vid

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Stocklocker, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    So unfortunately that video does have a glaring error regarding “sprayed on liners”. I’m sure the creator will discover this as he becomes more familiar with this engine. It does have proper cast iron sleeves, not a spray-on coating. However, as stated below, Toyota does not recommend a rebore.

This is a great document to nerd out on:

http://www.toyotareference.com/guts/tacoma16_engine.pdf

C516E469-492D-4BB5-9045-DCB138AF0CA6.jpg

2. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    Amanelot

Amanelot Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Excuse my ignorance.
    Can something like this be re-sleeved?

tacotoe likes this.
  3. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    No. It’s a “spiny type” liner, which basically means the back of the iron liners has a texture that is cast right into the aluminum block.

4. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Amanelot

Amanelot Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    I read that in your picture, but it didn't click what that meant until your response. Pretty darn cool. I wonder why they chose this route?

5. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    That's cool find. I may definitely take some time to nerd out on that.

6. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:40 PM
    Nick_Taco

Nick_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR 4x4 Auto
    The problem I find when you repurpose engines for different vehicle applications vs purpose built is you never seem to get what you truly need out of them. A truck engine you want high torque down low, that doesn't make sense for a minivan where it's not necessary and you're trying to improve gas mileage.

They can retune them and tweak them but it rarely ever comes out right...(see 3rd gen V6)

7. Nov 7, 2021 at 6:08 PM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    The problem I find is the 4.0 is a dog but you 2nd Gen guys like to claim otherwise.

Vlady and Junkhead like this.
  8. Nov 7, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    2gr darton sleeves should fit. you have to completely cut the cylinders out and press fit them.

Amanelot[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 7, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
    Both engines make about 80% of their torque around 2000 rpm, sure to get peak torque the 4.0 does come on at 3700 vs the 3.5 at 4700…still have to rev the hell out of both to get peak numbers.

90% of my commute driving is at 50-55 mph. My 1st Gen likes to cruise around 2000 rpm, where as my 3rd Gen seems happy around 1300. Which impresses me since it is a heavier vehicle, plus getting 5-7 better mpgs.

Out of all the Toyota’s I have owned the 3.5 has impressed me the most, I remember the the 22R days, when you try to pass someone on the the interstate…it goes, I think I can…I think I can….I think I can….ahhh never mind. Lol!

…and the 3.5 gets the job done in a hurry and wants to go faster.

rlx02, IrishRed, tacotoe and 5 others like this.
  10. Nov 7, 2021 at 6:47 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    the 3.5 in the taco works well enough. i still would of rather seen an updated 4.0. but i know why they did it. luckily i dont need a bigger tacoma. the 1st gen does fine for me. and when i need more i have the tundra with that wonderful 4.7l (lets not talk about MPG).

but that being said if i HAD to buy a new truck. the new tundras too big. the tacos the size of my tundra. i'd rock a taco and be happy.

tacotoe and SwollenGoat[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Nov 7, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    Canadian Caber

Canadian Caber R.I.P Layne Staley 67-2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 Super White
    Tough call on fixing it. However they say that the pipe was possibly updated as there are no more reported issues with the 18'ish and up. But it's unconfirmed as per AMD See below Screen Shot. Also, Car Care Nut. 14:20 mark. https://youtu.be/ei5yC4IdDhs

IMG_0194.jpg

12. Nov 7, 2021 at 8:03 PM
    SwollenGoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not much in a hurry these days. My 3rd Gen is the fastest Toyota I have owned, that ironically drive the slowest. 3.5 is more than enough for my needs.

Honestly I don’t even consider Tacoma’s trucks, more like a car with an open air trunk. Guys go on and on that it needs a truck engine…well it really isn’t a truck per say. They must forget that the early pickups shared engines with the Celica. The early 1 Tons had a payload of 2600+ lbs. Those trucks did more truck things than a Tacoma could ever dream about, and with a woefully underpowered car engine. Find it funny people complaining that the 3.5 is underpowered. They must of never driven the 20/22R equipped trucks….those were painfully slow but got the job done. Of course it seems like everyone is in a hurry these days and want to blast 90+ mph down the interstate.

I do think the 1st Gen Tundra is darn near the perfect size, kinda wish Toyota still did their own thing and not chase the Big 3. Should of kept the Tacoma a mini truck and worked on getting stellar mileage out of it. I considered a 1st Gen Tundy, but they are getting long in the tooth, plus the interior reminds my of an old Ford Taurus. Really needed something new that I don’t have to spin wrenches on. Beyond over working on shit. The 3rd Gen seems to hit that sweet Goldilocks spot for me, about the perfect size, plenty of power, halfway decent on fuel. 30 mpg would be better, but 2 out of three ain’t bad. Maybe the 4th Gen Hybrid will get it closer to 30, maybe…

Your Cement Tundra is pretty damn hawt by the way. Thing looks awesome, one of my favorite Toyota body styles.

Grindstone, Kev250R, Vlady and 2 others like this.
  13. Nov 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    Junkhead

Junkhead TRDude

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge
    Prince George, BC
    Vehicle:
    Black 4x4 Sport MT 2018
    Some Serious Tires
    Funny that you mention that.

Just the other week, I saw a maybe year old beamer with its hood up on the side of the road. I would never ever buy a new German vehicle. I’m sure they drive amazing, but…

14. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    I think anyone who complains about the power/performance of the Taco 3.5 V6 needs to do an hour drive in a mid-80's 22R equipped Toyota P/U with an Automatic and A/C. I re-built one a few years ago and drove it for a while after it was done and it was the definition of s-l-o-w.

Something I've noticed about the engines in newer vehicles is that they like to rev. That's a hard concept for some people (me included) to get used to but seems to be true.

15. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    SwollenGoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^^^this^^^

Junkhead and Kev250R[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    Nick_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR 4x4 Auto
    I was sure there would be someone who would be "that guy" and make this about a 2nd gen vs 3rd gen thing for no reason.

You're that guy.

17. Nov 8, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    Nick_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR 4x4 Auto
    My post wasn't really a 4.0 vs 3.5 thing. But I'll say it's really noticeable when towing a 5k lb trailer in my truck vs. my friends 2020 3.5 that the 3.5 is constantly revving higher to stay in the torque.

I imagine you're 3rd gen seems happier at lower RPM from the benefit of more gears.
    I agree with you on pretty much everything here except what's bolded. Body on frame, leaf springs in the rear and able to tow 6700lbs, a lot of full size 1/2 ton trucks only have a payload of 1000lbs. If I'm towing a car to the track and have a bunch of spare parts and tools in the back I want that low end torque.

18. Nov 9, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    SwollenGoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Dont really care about the 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen debates, coming from American trucks Toyota’s were always kinda revvy to me, all of their engines seem happiest around 3500 rpm, where an American gas V8 or I6 can lug around 2000.

The 3.5 is tuned for fuel economy is why it tends to hunt, there is an easy go around, hit the ECT button or flip it into sport mode, so you can hold the gear you want. Or better yet buy a manual.

The body on frame doesn’t really make it more truck like, most cars were BOF, and used rear leaf springs, had solid front axles, go back far enough in the evolution of automobiles trucks were simply converted cars. You can tow a lot with those old cars too. A lot guys knock on the Ridgeline for being unibody, but it does have a better payload than the Tacoma, so is the Honda more of a truck than the Taco? Or are they both cars with open air trunks? Trars perhaps? Ha ha! The lack of cargo volume alone makes both of them not very good trucks, no matter what their payload and towing capacities are.

When I say it isn’t a real truck, it is because of my experience and perspective. It isn’t really a knock on the Tacoma. Having a construction background, the Tacoma is more car like than a truck. The ergonomics of the interior are more similar to a car than a truck. From our 1 tons to the Mack Triaxle dump you feel like your sitting on a stool, Tacos are more like a chaise lounge (which I like). My legs go numb doing any long distance on the stool like position. The ride is closer to a car which is why the payload and towing are still kinda piss poor, and yeah some half tons are the same. I don’t really consider those “real trucks” either….yes they have a ladder frame and a bed, but you really can’t use them for any heavy duty work. They have become status playthings, and Toyota knows this, why the Tacoma is a dumbed down version of the HiLux.

That said I have loved all my Toyota’s, but didn’t buy any of them for doing work or heavy duty play. If I wanted that would of bought a 1 Ton or bigger, almost bought a F350, but way over kill for what I need currently, plus I don’t need a massive truck to feel secure in my masculinity. Lol! Have been retired from construction for awhile now, could get by with a RAV4 or Subaru Forester for 90% of the things I do. Was really leaning hard on getting a Suby, could of saved about $15K, and get a hell of a lot better gas mileage. My wife hates those things and would of divorced me. LOL! That and bought the Taco because I wanted to keep all my smelly moto gear separate from the cabin, plus it is easier to camp out of. Seems like a good compromise between a Suby and a F350…can do enough “trucky like” things and still feel like a car.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    ndoldman59 and GONE FISHIN' like this.
  19. Nov 9, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    desmodue

desmodue Unsprung member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    Interesting design, but I wouldn't think that they cast the iron liners in place. Iron melts at around 2800°F, aluminum melts around 1300°F. Pouring 2800° iron into an aluminum casting probably wouldn't be free of voids and defects.

My guess would be the iron sleeves are cast (probably investment cast to make the precise "spiny" projections) then set in place in the mold, then the aluminum. is poured into the mold sealing the cast iron liners in place.

Impressive engineering technology

20. Nov 9, 2021 at 8:22 AM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    That what I meant. The iron liners are there, and the block cast around them.

tacotoe likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top