1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

0", 3", or 6" lift? Dammit, need help...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4X42HEL, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jul 16, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    4X42HEL

4X42HEL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    Wow...
    So, the local 4WheelParts store just lost my business....

I walked in today with money cash in hand ready to explore my options and place an order... These guys (at least at this store) have absolutely no clue how to treat customers.

I gave him my shpeal and basically told him I am very interested in getting pro-comp's 6" kit through his store with install, but I want to stay lower on the tire size. Instead of just listening to me and giving me what I asked for... he was very dismissive and told me unless I am going to spend $6K, it wont happen. He started to walk away as I was talking to him and basically rejected my desire to become a customer. So I walked out.

I don't understand how I get better service in the 99 cent menu at Wendy's than when I walk in to 4WP with two grand cash in my pocket ready to spend. Really, I'm dumb founded.

So I called the local Desert Rat here in town, and they said they can get me a fabtech installed for $2200. Not the kit I am after, but it is an option.

I think I'm just going to get the 33's I want from Discount (they gave me a killer offer a few days ago) and then just install a 3" kit myself. If things change later, I may get a 6" procomp... everytime they come out with their $500 coupons, I get really tempted.

I talked with the wife today and we are just going to travel to another city and find another 4WP who hopefully treats their customers better and just get it done there.

2. Jul 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    something is wrong with the people at 4wp's they just fucked me on a lift. then they are not going to fix their mistake. they sent me out a lift with 720# spring rates that was supposed to yield 3 inches on my non armored regular cab. when i asked these questions they said it would be fine... well my truck now sits at 4 3/8 inches of lift and thats after about 500 miles! it was 4.75!

they have a horrible rating with the better business bureau both 4wp's and pro comp have respectively an F rating and a D rating. plus there are two open lawsuits against them one being led by a ca. prosecuter and one is a class action lawsuit for some other shit.

lol dude they just didn't care when you ordered. they sold me the completely wrong lift for my truck they told me this once it was installed already fucking douche canoes.

3. Jul 16, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    4X42HEL

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4

Wow... a damn class act? That's bad. I have heard nothing but horror stories about these guys... Do they not read these posts? Is feedback never given to them? How can they not want to change rather than fail as a company??

I'm at the point where I just want to do the work myself regardless....

I read the pro-comp instructions and it doesn't look too tough... only problem I'd have, is I'd be solo and the wife ain't much help in the garage.

4. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    Dude hold out for EXACTLY what you want. On the 4WP topic they fucked me on a re-gearing (only supplying parts, not install) while I was in Afghanistan. Then tried telling me that ARP wheel studs couldn't be pressed through the rear drums (hub, brake cover w/e you want to call it). I literally was in the shop showing the technician that it could be done, and he still looked at me like I was retarded. OBVIOUSLY this installer didn't want to make the company any money and just press studs. If I ever have to go back to one again it's going to watch it close down. Sorry you had a bad experience there man, but don't let it ruin your trust in finding a dependable shop to take on the projects your not equipped to handle. Might I make a suggestion, Xtreem Truck & Car (XTC) Motorsports on Guad and McQueen. They got my buddy's Taco dialed in all pro. Good luck man.

5. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    oh i would be careful with that. when i called back for the third time a couple days ago to finally let them know of the problem i was having the customer service rep at 4wp's cut me off right at the start of my story and proceeded to ask me if i had the kit professionally installed becuause they refuse to warranty any work done by a non certified mechanic!

meanwhile back at the ranch when i was ordering the kit over the phone i had the sales rep transfer me to customer service then he set -up a conference call with a pro comp technician to awnser all my questions lol all of which pertain to the exact problem i'm having now. the tech told me i could do the install in my drive way in three hours! well thats bull shit it would take a considerable amount of time more plus that way if you do have some sort of problem they won't do a thing.

i had my kit installed by a 4x4 only shop that been in business for 32 years and they are still not doing anything. the thing that really pisses me off is a few days ago i called back after i felt i had put a significant amount of miles on it to settle it down and it's still way to high. a tech at pro comp named jeff blakley told me the 3 inch coil kit was never meant for a regular cab or any 4cyl tacoma for that matter! they developed it for V6 models of tacoma due to the extremely high spring rates.

720+ pounds for this kit!!! they quite literally sold me the wrong parts for my truck and when i informed them they never took it off their website as the model specific lift kit they recomend for 4cyl regular cabs!!

they are retards at this point i had to compose an email to greg adler himself because he is the only guy who can apparently help me at no charge to me. they want me to pay for all the labor again if i swap out the suspension and the other option was the addition of an arb bull bar to put some weight out front they are charging me 689 for that!

6. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    are they a vendor on tw? if so we need to start a 4wp's thread to let them know whats been going on here. maybe just maybe someone who works there might still give a fuck and do something about this. i spent a lot of time researching and when you ask a tech before placing your order about specific questions about the piece of kit your buying it would be nice to have a correct response before you spend 800 dollars on installing something on a brand new truck.

when i told the gm of the customer service dept how fucked up this is with having 4 3/8 inches of lift with out a drop bracket to get my cv's back in check he said there is nothing i can do but sell you the parts you need and the labor is on you! and that if i wanted to fix the problem i would have to "try" to contact the owner and ceo greg adler.

7. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    I think 3" looks the best on a Tacoma IMO

8. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    That's some ol' bull shit. I'm not sure if there is a 4WP vendor on here, I've never seen anything except links to their page. Your in a pickle here dude, and I hope it doesn't come down to putting a heavy ass bumper on to compensate for too much lift, cause then you got to compensate the rear for that. I say you contact Greg Adler himself, and press the issue. This seriously is starting to look bad for Pro Comp, and well...we've already established that 4WP can safo.

9. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    JstreetS

JstreetS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    -6" Procomp -18" Method Race Rims -285/70R18 (34.1x11.5) Toyo MTs -TRD CAT Exhaust -Trifecta Tonneau
    Go with the 6" - just looks badass! I am in the same position as you with going back and forth between lifts. I work for a defense contractor and am letting my next assignment determine my lift...wash dc = 3" so I can fit in parking garages and if I get sent to TX I am going with the 6"! Keep me posted!

I do like the look of the 4" camburgs some tacos have on here...

10. Jul 17, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    matts11

matts11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Since you included it in your OP, I vote for 0" lift. Unless you actually need the additional clearance it is a waste of money and may degrade your truck as a DD with a long commute. I will say the 3" or 6" lifts look bad ass but they will degrade your road manners. Additionally they make the vehicle more susceptible to a roll over in an accident. I was t-boned by a drunk a year and a half ago in a lifted fullsize and it the skid caused me to roll over--this was not fun. I am pretty sure the lift was the cause of the roll over. Anyhow, I am not saying there is anything wrong with lifting, but it does not sound like you really "need" to lift it. I would not lift until you are driving off road regularly and find yourself needing more capability that what the vehicle offers stock. Until that point spend your money on a nice set of wheels and more aggressive tires...I realize my opnion is likely to get thrashed in future posts...

11. Jul 17, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    jerretxx

jerretxx Some do, others talk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerret
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    can we see some more pics of 6" with 33's? i plan on doing 6" but im still deciding on tire size. thanks for the help!

12. Jul 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I'll try and find some of mine with 33's

13. Jul 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    jerretxx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerret
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    thanks man, ill more than likely do 35's bc i have a DCLB but, id like to see more options before spending the cash. btw sick truck man, i was just checking out your build, love the retros!

14. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    Since you have dclb get 35's

15. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    jerretxx

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerret
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    yeah, i like the way the 35's look. IMO i cant see spending all the money in a 6" lift and only running 33's considering you could fit those with 3" lift. Whats estimated MPG with 35's, factory gears, and 4.0 engine?

16. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    I get about 250 miles per tank

17. Jul 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

Goddamn, that's pretty crappy. :p

I don't have 35s, just 33s, and an ATO rear bumper, it didn't hurt my mileage. :woot: If I let the gas warning light come on, most of the time the odometer will read somewhere in the range of 300-320 miles.

but yea I do realize that you have 35s and have not regeared.

18. Jul 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    imo 3" is best for dd and off road

19. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    4X42HEL

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    You guys are all offering some great input. Thanks for the pics Jay. As much as i dont want to admit it, lol, 33's are proly not the way to go with a 6" kit. Seems like 35's suit it better.

Also, I was thinking about going with 34's with the 6" kit... some 295/70/18's or something like that...

20. Jul 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    315s are a 'small' 35" tire too

Products Discussed in

To Top