1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

00 Tacoma Clutch going out, need help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by clinton.moran, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Jul 14, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    clinton.moran

clinton.moran [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock 00 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    I have a 2000 tacoma 3.4L 4wd with about 150k on the stock clutch that is starting to go. I need to get it changed out before I get stranded somewhere.

First question is what would you guys suggest for the replacement. I want to get something that will last me longer than stock and I want to keep it under $350.

Second question is how hard is the process of changing the clutch? I have access to a lift if it is required.

Thanks.

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    clinton.moran

clinton.moran [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock 00 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    Any suggestions at all? Can someone at least give me a good brand to go with? Thanks.

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    There's actually only a few clutch makers out there. I replaced mine 3 months ago with a Saachs brand. I'm not sure if its better than the stock, but I got 216,000 out of the original. Seems like this generation of taco is easy on clutches, so I suspect most any decent clutch will last awhile.

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Oh ya- if you replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel or buy a new one. I bought a new one from Napa for $75.

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    offroadTRD

offroadTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dinwiddie County, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 TRD- Fabtech
    Fabtech 3" adjustable coil-over system, Alcan 8-leaf spring pack, Fabtech 3" body lift.
    I just replaced my clutch about 5 months ago. I have put about 145,000 miles on my stock clutch. It never slipped on me but I went ahead and replaced it just to do it. I think I bought a sacchs clutch. I think I paid about 250 bucks for the kit and about 70-80 bucks for a new flywheel. If you really want a good clutch, they are gonna cost you. A centerforce or a zoom clutch for a yota is prolly gonna cost you around 400 bucks just for the kit. The centerforce's might even be 450 for the kit. I'm not quite sure, but if you want a really good clutch, you're gonna pay. Yes, a vehicle lift will help you out tremendously. You will have to take your driveshaft off (or both driveshafts if your have 4x4), unplug all the sensors on the tranny & transfer case, take off the small dust cover that has 4 bolts on it below the bellhousing on the front side towards the engine, take your shifters out from the top of the tranny, unbolt the tranny and take it off with the transfer case attached, and then you will see the pressure plate on the output shaft of the motor. take that off and then take your clutch disc off, take off your flywheel (resurface it or replace it), and then slap everything new on it and put everything back together in reverse order. Hope this helps.

To Top