1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01-04 buying advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shampoop, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    shampoop

shampoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma extracab v6 5spd trd 4x4
    so i know 1st gen tacos have proven themselves to be great trucks. and now that i've just finished school and have a badass job with a short commute, i'm pretty positive i'm going to be getting an 01-04 TRD extracab 5spd v6 4x4.

what i'm mainly wondering about is the little details. such as, do any of the paint colors seem to hold up better than others? i'm partial to the lighter colors. my friends old 95.5 maroon taco's clearcoat has been flaking for probably the last decade. also, the front bug deflector that comes on some tacos, do they break easily? are they removable and do they seem to damage the paint underneath them?

i'm looking to buy one as stock as possible with the best maintenance records and has the best condition interior/exterior. year/mileage are a secondary concern. anything else i should look out for?

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    well i hope this answers some of your questions, for the first question about the paint i am not sure if any holds up better then the other, my DC is silver and shines like its brand new, grant it i wax it every other weekend.
    Second question the bug deflector does not break that easily, and yes they come off very easy but not sure about damage to the paint under it, i am sure it will be easy to fix if it does. and things to look for are.... Rust on the frame big problem with the 2001 to 2004 taco but other then that they are pretty bullet proof.

hope this helped out, anyone else please add to this if i forgot something

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I can only speak for mine, my 01's paint still looks great, it's the bright red, don't know what it's official name is. Mine has the toyota bug deflector on it, was there when I got it 5 years ago and it still looks new, not even a crack. Haven 't tried to take it off so I don't know what the paint underneath is like. Depending on where you are, the frame might be able to be replaced, so rust wouldn't be an issue. I think the main thing function wise would be looking at the rear leaf springs, if original they may need replacement sooner rather than later. I've got the 2.7, so I don't know much about the 3.6's maintenance needs but I think the timing belt will need changing in something that old?

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    Silver hides scratches and dirt well...

V6 needs a timing belt at 90k. Check records for that. I think it is about a $500 job at a shop. Also check records for throttle body cleaning, which is a standard maintenance requirement and would indicate the owner cared.

The OEM suspension is pretty weak (yes, even the TRD, which is a joke). Be prepared for possibly getting new shocks and even new coils/leafs at some point. I just did this on my 2001 (I bought it at 101k miles), and it rides like a different (much better) truck. Weak leafs contribute to axle wrap.

Little details: the Xtra cab window latches break easily, the the door weatherstrip trim (where you'd rest your arm if the window were open) tends to become brittle and flake off (the black stuff is actually rubber, which I couldn't tell until I bought new ones) and the part that wipes the window may be stiff and bent out.

You know about the frame rust issue/recall/replacement deal, right?

God, these trucks are total shit. Why did I ever buy one...? Kidding, I love it.

5. Jul 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    shampoop

shampoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma extracab v6 5spd trd 4x4
    thanks for the help guys. i really don't know much about the rust recall, but i don't really care anyway. cars don't rust in the NW :)

i'm hoping to buy one between 2 weeks and 2 months from now. :D i drive my friends 95 all the time, so i already know i really like them.

To Top