1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01 Frame Failure and New Shocks?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dip, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    dip

dip [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    My 2001 regular cab 4X4 just failed. The frame was in great shape except passenger side before the rear wheel. I was going to have them replace the shocks. Should I just get the the OEM shocks? They are around $400 for all four. No lift is installed. I do carry quite a bit of weight in the back from time to time. Anything else I should replace? Its an automatic too. Thanks!

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Bluefield, WV
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner with No-slip locker
    4WD Conversion, No-slip locker, 5100s set at 2.5" and shackles in the back. Black 2nd gen rims, and Courser M/T tires, Bull Bar,Fog lights, UWS toolbox, CB Radio, Fiberglass antenna, 2nd Gen Badges, Deck Plate Mod, Diff Breather Mod, Sockmonkey decals.
    Get Bilstein 5100s all around, I think you can get the whole set for like 300 or 350, plus you can get a little lift!

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    dip

dip [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Looks like it will be a couple of weeks until all the parts are in. The big question is will they install the parts that I give them? I also asked them if they would change the belts and hoses. He gave me a song and dance they don't take them off to swap frames?

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    I cant see y they wouldnt put the shockes on that you give them. Definatly go with the 5100s. I just put them on my 04 and i love them, they ride 10x better.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    I had the frame replaced on my 2001 AC and replaced the shocks also. They gave me a discount on parts so the f/r (stock) shocks cost me $310. Your $400 quote isn't far off but they may come down if you ask.
    Labor is free, whether you buy from them or bring in the parts. They are already going through the work operation and putting new on is a labor savings for you and saves the mechanic time also. Doesn't have to transfer the old shocks.
    I asked about replacing the belts but I was told they were in good shape and don't usually fail.
    I did have the radiator hoses changed. One end was already off. Didn't get charged for labor but was charged for parts. ($25.00)
    I had the fuel filter changed as it's easier to get at when the truck is apart. Had to pay for the part and labor as it isn't included in the swap.

You'll end up with a "new" truck. Love the work done on mine.
    Took about 4 days and it was his 1st time but I have a top-notch mechanic.

6. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    dip

dip [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Truck is getting frame replaced this week. Of course they asked if I would like anything replaced. I wanted new hoses shocks muffler and tailpipe. So they call back today with prices and was shocked! They basically wanted full list for everything and labor for the front shocks and hoses. I basically told the guy to pound sand. Not a happy camper right now with these guys. Sounds like some of you got great deals! Gees they are probably making thousands of dollars with the replacement labor and want even more.

7. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    The shocks you will pay for but the labor is free!!!!
    I had my mechanic replace the hoses (one end is already off) but he didn't charge labor.
    Parts yes, but not labor.

Corporate Toyota encourages you to take advantage of the labor savings when doing the frame replacement.

By replacing the shocks with new, you are saving the mechanic time and he'll make more money.
    My mechanic took less than 4 days but is paid for 60 hours.
    The less time he takes, the better for him.

I was given a discount on all the extra parts I had replaced.
    Shocks, hoses fuel filter, clutch parts, diff fluids.
    Free labor on shocks and hoses. Other parts I was charge labor but expected it.

Now with new shocks and the muffler I had replaced last year, anytime I ever need these replaced again, parts and labor is free.
    Muffler job was expensive when it was replaced as I had to pay everything.
    Parts ($310) and labor ($56).

On the frame replacement, expect to pay for the parts but no labor. They are already messing with the muffler.
    A new muffler is going to be easier for the mechanic.
    Doesn't have to save the old parts!

8. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    dip

dip [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Oh no not this dealership it's not free! I am thinking of calling Toyota on this just for the heck of it!

9. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Call them!
    800-331-4331

Toyota is getting goodwill out of this warranty extension.

Any good dealer can set them straight!

10. Apr 20, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Bobbed Left front ~ Ok not really but I bought it crashed from the kids dad 4-CHEAP. Frame Swap and 04 Clip + 6" lift ~ Woo Hoo!!!
    I would take a free hour or two and make 3-4 phone calls working from the service MGR and Owner on up to corperate.

The service writer & Service Mrg are a pee-on's... Smack the next button and move on.

Toyota replaced the Auto Trans on my in-laws 160K miles 98 Toyota Seinna in 2008 for labor cost only and they were not the original owners.

but

My bro-in-laws 03 Camry dropped a timing chain tensioner / lost oil pressure and ate the engine in 98 @ 120k. TOyota made him eat it, while he was still making payments.

11. Apr 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    dip

dip [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma
    Okay I called the 800 number on these rat bastard$! She said it wasn't right what they were doing. We will see what happens! Thanks for the number it worked great! Plus the amount you paid helped tremendously.

12. Apr 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    SPOTSONTROUT

SPOTSONTROUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROB
    SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD
    OME 882,DAKAR LEAF PAC WITH ADDA LEAF,285 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT,RACELINE RENAGADES,DECK PLATE MOD, MANUAL HUB CONVERSION
    Does anybody have any pics on how bad their frame is ? Mine looks a little crappy, do you have holes or just rusty?

13. Apr 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    You need a hole.
    The dealership will hit the frame all over.
    One hole will fail the frame.

Rusty doesn't qualify but wait a while and it may fail at a later time..
    Just make sure you bring it in before the Oct. 2010 date to get the truck into the database.
    Then you will be good for 15 years from the original in service date.
    My 2001 is good until 2016.

14. Apr 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    2001boston

2001boston Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    I looked thoroughly at the frame under my truck and it looked great, when I brought it to Toyota they found a hole in rear passenger side near wheel that I could stick my hand through.

The person asking about the shocks, definetely get it done. I was not aware of the Toyota's offer to provide free labor for shocks so I didnt do it. When I got my truck back 3 out of 4 shocks were leaking fluid.

To Top