1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 Taco - bad Lower Control Arm?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wasatchmtnbike, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Oct 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    wasatchmtnbike

wasatchmtnbike [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4X4 4dr
    Ok, here's my story. Several years ago I bought a wrecked 02 Taco 4x4 dbl cab. I replaced suspension and steering in the right front with parts from a wrecking yard. Alignment was never dead-on but pretty close, that is, as close as they could get it. I just thought that the frame was maybe slightly tweeked because of the hit on the right front end. Anyhow, in Jan of 09 my right front lower ball joint broke while hunting Elk. Local dealer replaced ball joint as per the recall. Just over a year later the same ball joint broke again, dealer wouldn't help this time. Finally I ordered the new ball joints and fixed it. After I put it all back together I noticed that the right side didn't look right. Looks like the end of the lower control arm is bent because the ball joint is angled towards the wheel. Look at the pictures of the left and right side and tell me what you think.

If the control arm is bad I'm looking for a replacement. I'm in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Maybe some of you local guys that do the suspension mods might be interested in selling your original control arm?

Thanks a bunch,
    Gary

tacoma left.jpg
    tacoma rt.jpg

2. Oct 14, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    wasatchmtnbike

wasatchmtnbike [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4X4 4dr
    In looking at it closer I'm not convinced that the right lower control arm is at fault. As I compared the two control arms I can't really see that one is that different from the other. Now I wonder if the axle I put in was maybe too short. Is that possible? Are there different axle lengths for Toyota trucks? It looks like if the axle were about 1 - 2" longer then the ball joint wouldn't be so tweaked.

What do you think?

To Top