1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 DC Ghostrider build with 4x4 conversion

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by hughesjrm, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2015 at 4:38 AM
    hughesjrm

hughesjrm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    So it appears that I have hit a road block on my 4x4 conversion. Now that I have my transmission out, I am able to take a closer look. Upon first examination everything looked like it will work. Then I noticed the 4x4 transmission has a kick down cable, where as my other transmission does not. Evidently in 2003 toyota came out with TBW (throttle by wire) which eliminated the kick down cable. I am still early in my research trying to figure out if I can solve this problem or if I have to find another transmission. So far I have not found anyone else that has run into this during their conversion.

2. Feb 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    hughesjrm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    Well roadblock has been cleared. I made a phone call to the junk yard I got all my 4x4 conversion parts from, and it just so happens they have a 2003 DC 4x4 there. He is going to let me swap what I got off him a year and half ago plus a couple hundred, and he is going to hook me up with the trans, TC, spindles, front diff, and all the driveshaft (which I didn't have). Looks like it will be a busy weekend

3. Feb 9, 2015 at 5:09 AM
    hughesjrm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    Progress update:
    Well I started my conversion on Saturday and I am happy to report so far so good. For those of you wanting to do this conversion on an 03-04, you will want to make sure you get the right parts. For instance I had previously got a donor transmission and TC out of a 2000 Tacoma. Unfortunately it would not work because I believe from 02 down, the transmission has the kickdown cable; where as, 03 and 04 has the TBW (throttle by wire). At least I believe that is what it it is called. Also your existing wiring harness will not work, as there are additional electrical connections on your TC and front differantual. So you will need to make sure to get the harness from the donor vehicle. You will also need to make sure that you get the right front spindles for ABS. Each spindle should have a slot for the ABS wheel speed sensor. If you are planning on doing this conversion it would be best to get the off the same year as your Tacoma. I know there are several post on here and other sites that say you can use parts from 4Runners, and Tacoma's from like 96-04, but I would use caution unless you knew it was the right part.

So far those are the only things I have run into. I have completed the front end (front diff, CV axles, and spindles). I've got to say the upper ball joints kicked my ass. They were mechanically welded to the UCA pretty good. I had to use two pickle forkes and a lot of PB blast and a BFH to get them to separate. Only took about four damn hours to separate both sides. After that it was gravey. I also got my transmission and TC mounted. Word to the wise, make sure to remove the shifter off of the TC so you have plenty of room when raising the transmission up into place. I learned the hard way and couldn't maneuver the transmission into place, and had to drop it back down.

Now time to go complete the wiring, drop the new engine in, and hook up the drive train. I'll report back when complete.

4. Feb 12, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    hughesjrm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    My 4x4 conversion and engine swap is complete. Complete build time to remove everything and install new engine and 4x4 was 6 days. Overall I was very surprised how easy of a build it was; especially since I was doing it all on my own (except for fiance handing me tools). Of course that time would be significant less if you deduct all the trips I made to the auto parts store to borrow specialty tools, and a few roadblocks that I had to overcome. For me the hardest part of the conversion was separating the LH & RH upper ball joints (like posted above). For the engine swap there were a lot more parts that I had to transfer from my old engine to the new. I probably spent close to a day trying to switch over pullys. Unfortunately, no mater what I tried, I could not get the crankshaft pully/bolt off. I even went to a local welder and had him build me a tool to hold the pully while I tried to remove the bolt. I only succeeded in breaking off the two bolts used to mount the tool to the pully. In the end I figured out a way to make the other pullys work, it required a little shimming of the PS pully but otherwise everything is in line.

I've got to say I was extremely nervous yesterday when I went to turn the key. There were so many unknowns with the engine I got from Canada, or the wiring harness I got from the junk yard. Yet to all my bewilderment and fears, she started right up. Do to the time, I did not get to try out the 4wd, but plan on doing that today. I did shift it into L4 & H4 just to see if the light would come on in my dash. Unfortunately nothing happened, so I am guessing that one was not installed on my truck. I have plenty of picks that I will post later. Now time to go test it out

5. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:30 AM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
    Anxiously awaiting status update :thumbsup:

6. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Dude, i love this build! Look awesome gloss black (not my style, but still two thumbs up) ive been wanting to do the 4x4 conversion for years but life has always managed to get in the way. If/when i do im buying a totaled, correct year truck entirely... Easiest way imo. One question, how did you turn the carpet, or rather fuzzy stuff, on your door panels black?! btw i like your screen name, same as my last name! Props! :headbang:

7. Mar 4, 2015 at 4:33 AM
    hughesjrm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting

Thank you, I will try to find the write-up I did to change out the door trim fabric. To be honest it was really easy. The fabric is glued in, so just remove it and use as a template. Clean the residue glue off the door panel, I used a wire brush on my dremel to make it go quicker. Then apply a spray adhesive and put your new fabric on. You have to make sure to smooth the fabric down good and then lock the edges down in the grooves. Pretty easy, I used the same fabric as my seat covers.

8. Mar 4, 2015 at 4:46 AM
    hughesjrm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    Oh and I'm happy to report that my 4x4 works great. I had to break down and spend $60 at Toyota for a TC shifter knob, surprisingly I could not find one at any junkyard. Only downfall is my dash does not have the light to indicate when 4x4 is engaged. that will probably be one of my next projects. Also now with the added weight of the front diff and CVs I get a little bit of rubbing on the front right. Looks like it is time to upgrade my lift. As far as the engine change. Everything runs great. I've noticed that my mpg is about 20 miles less per tank than I use to get. Probably time to change/clean a few sensors. Or who knows, might just be a result of being 4x4 now. Overall I am extremely happy with my conversion and was surprised how easy it was.

Products Discussed in

To Top