1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'03 Prerunner Suspension replacement and lurching/clunking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vegetopia, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road SR5 Double Cab 6.0L 6MT
    Hey all,
    I've got a 2.7L '03 Prerunner Extended Cab with 60K on the clock. I absolutely love the truck, but am having some annoying issues which I am currently attributing to possibly worn out stock suspension / axle wrap.

1) Sometimes when accelerating or coming to a stop, I get a "clunk" as the truck knocks forward a bit. The Auto shifter stick clunks around as well when this happens.

From everything I have read on here about axle wrap, I'm thinking this is to blame for this problem. I have yet to stick a camera under there and go for a drive though, in order to verify.

2) my truck seems to surge and buck around a lot when braking. You can be in reverse or drive, no throttle, moving normally at idle speeds, and lightly depress the brake to come to a stop and my head will almost hit the windshield. Good brakes, right? But obviously something else is going on here. I'm thinking the struts and springs need to be replaced. 1st gear also seems to engage rather roughly, and since I'm getting a lot of torque there, I'm thinking it's just pulling the chassis around on my sloppy suspension.

Weird thing is though, the truck doesn't seem to behave erratically when you're actually moving at speed. Nothing feels blown, it doesn't feel like I'm bouncing around too much when I'm actually driving, etc. I really don't know though, this is my first truck. What do you guys think?

TIA
    -Jamie

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Could have something to do with the Tranny mounts/Engine mounts mabye??

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    vegetopia

vegetopia [OP] newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRDOR 4x4 MANUAL
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road SR5 Double Cab 6.0L 6MT
    All mounts and bushings have been checked and are solid. I'm leaning towards replacing the suspension right now. I just can't think of there being another cause.

OME or Nitro front shocks, retain factory coils. 5100 rears and Wheelers 4pack HD leafs.

Hopefully that will do it...

Products Discussed in

To Top