1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 Tacoma Noobie - No power to Windows/Shift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hellah fresh, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello! I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma that has my shifter stuck and wont move out of park unless i use that relief button. 2nd my power windows wont work on both sides. The brake light works fine so there isnt a problem there. We already tried a new brake light switch but the old one is fine. So we ran a test light to chck for power at the driver side window connector along with the passenger and there is no power coming out of there. We checked the solenoid for power and there isnt power going into there either. So we are kinda stuck. We can start the car and drive it but just cant get the shifter to move nor the windows. All fuses are fine.

ALSO! My dad even tried to jump start the power directly from the fuse box to the window switch and he notice it shocked. What do you guys think? harness shorten?

2. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    :goingcrazy:

OK, lets see if I can decipher your code...

Does pressing the button on the top of the shifter not release the handle?

What does the brake light working (or not) have to do with your power windows working (or not). Why do you link them together in your question?

3. Feb 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    GreatBasinTaco

GreatBasinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC
    Lots of stuff
    fuses may be good, but you may have a bad relay. I had a similar issue on a '90 4runner.

4. Feb 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh [OP] Member

Member:
    The truck window all the sudden doesnt want to roll down or up.

Also the truck shifter will not shift out of park when normally applying the brakes.

Brake light switch is fine, All the brake lights come on when stepping on the pedal.

We wanted to see if the problem is in the master (driverside) window switch. So we took the switch off the tacoma and plugged i into a tundra just to double check. It works on the tundra so now we know the master switch isnt bad. We can still lock/unlock the doors with the master switch but just the window switch wont work.

We took a test light to the main plug that connects to the window switch to see if its getting power. Nothing is coming from it. Next the parking shifter. We took a test light to the solenoid and no power there either. So we dont know if there is a short somewhere or maybe a relay like you mention.

5. Feb 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    The ECU-IG 15 amp fuse is common to both. It feeds the Body ECU for the windows and the shift lock control relay.

6. Feb 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh [OP] Member

Member:
    What is all of the fuses are good? We checked the fuses under the dash and on the engine compartment. But we havent checked the shift lock relay

7. Jul 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    Hey so the same thing kinda Happened to me today! My windows suddenly would not go up or down from the drivers switches, but the other windows would go up if I used the switch on that doors window. Then randomly none of them would work. Then the unlock stopped working. next thing i know it wont shift from park! and my headlights normally automatically turn off, and now they stay on if i dont turn them off manually. This all happened within like 2 days. I checked all my fuses and they are good. All headlights tail lights/brake lights work. I noticed I did not have the Ecu 1g 15a fuse. I put that one in and now it will shift from park but all the other problems remain.
    Any help?! :/ fuckin weird.. I'm lost.

8. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    The lE ground connection is common to both the windows and doorlock system. It's located on the right side of the glove box under the dash. That is the way it appears in the manual. White wire with black line. Should be screwed into the metal frame. It goes thru a connector close by then over to the drivers door. Maybe bad connection in the connector or the ground point or corrosion.

9. Jul 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    After replacing the ECU 1G fuse I removed my battery (needed a trickle charge) and let the computer reset. Now everything is working fine! :) Crazy jap trucks.

10. Jul 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh [OP] Member

Member:
    ^^ Im glad you guys got it solved because the truck i was working on was for a customer and after tearing everything apart and not having the slightest clue we sent him to the stealership smh.

11. Jul 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Please refrain from using racial insults. I have some very good friends who are Japanese. Calling them what you did is just as insulting as calling an African American person the "N" word.

As to the OP, you mentioned you checked the fuses, but how did you check them? Visually, or did you actually use a test light to CONFIRM there was power before and after the fuse? A broken wire, or a wire that has been damaged to the point of only a few strands of copper will test correctly with an ohm meter, but will fail a load test because it will not carry the current. I have seen it over a dozen times over the years.

12. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    ^calm down it wasn't an insult I was talking to my truck. I've called her worse!

Products Discussed in

To Top