1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 tacoma with a list of issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MacGyvR, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Yeah, I was dead on 500rpm at a stop light this morning. I'm going to look into this further.

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Could be, I didnt have em on long enough to find out...

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...ace/162216-2003-trd-oem-coilovers-shocks.html

Issues with your shocks could be fixed.
    Everything else doesnt look too bad except the steering rack.
    I would lay off with the seafoam, once in a blue moon is ok.
    Getting an accurate oil reading can be a PITA. After it has been sitting over night or for a few hours, before starting check the oil...that is the best way to get a good reading.
    Plugs are a pretty easy change as long as you have a few good extensions to reach into the deep holes, make sure you get the dual electrode plugs for the 3.4. either Denso or NGK.

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Racerboy221

Racerboy221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.4, Std cab/bed, 18"wheels,airshocks
    18" Wheels & Tires, Airshocks, CB Radio
    Nice find!

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I can't say specifically what problems this may cause without research, but a lot of air-fuel system performance is reliant upon the idle. And then there are shift points, etc. First step woul be to download the FSM and check troubleshooting chart for low idle, and since you did it the seafoam through a vaccuum line, the fist thing I would suspect is a vaccuum leak on that line, either not secured properly or perhaps it was brittle and handling it caused it to crack. Anything "downstream" of that connection point, such as other vaccuum lines, or possibly EGR or PCV, could have been affected by the seafoam, too.

6. Jun 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    You really need to get that Steering Rack replaced you can probably Pick up a new Rack for 400.00 Dollars and replace it your self. You may need to have an alignment Done after the Fact but if you mark off where all the Tie Rod ends are connected to the old Rack and connect them to the same location on the new rack you could get away with out needing the Alignment. This Really Should be one of your Priorities. Also Something that was mentioned and then totally ignored was the Idler Pulley Noise. This isn't something that you can easily look at and Fix. These are for you Timing Belt which is behind the Water pump So you can't see it. This belt is what keeps your Crank shaft and and Cam Shafts Turning Properly together. If only of those Idler Pulleys Fail it could cause Catastrophic Engine Failure. And all the work you have been doing will be for not. It is recommended that you replace your Timing belt Pulleys and Tensioners every 90,000 Miles. You are at 154,000 Miles unless you have records of this recently being done by the previous owner you need to seriously consider having this taken care of ASAP.

7. Jun 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers

I'm probably going to wait on the steering rack for a while. I've been checking the PS fluid levels daily since I've changed the fluid, and it hasn't been fluctuating at all which indicates it's leaking at an infinitesimally small rate. I'm going to closely monitor it and replace it once it actually becomes a problem. I would really like to put that $400 towards new coils and shocks because the ride is atrocious right now.

When I bought the truck I had a mechanic replace the timing belt and the water pump, I'll look back through the records or call him to find out if he changed the pulleys. If not, that'll be one of my top priorities.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge you just dumped in my thread!

Okay. I'll begin looking into this on my free time. Sounds like the seafoam cleared away some grime that was structurally important, lol. Do you think I'll run into any trouble running seafoam in the tank to clean the injectors, or should I just get a bottle of techron. I'm starting to get nervous about how powerful seafoam is and how old my truck is!

And sorry to sound like a broken record, but are my springs shot? And would it be bad to replace my shocks without replacing the springs?

8. Jun 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top