1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 2.7 in need of some fun mods

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by mtb, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    mtb

mtb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Herdon, VA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD blue ribbon
    i have an 04 tacoma, single cab with the 2.7 engine in it. the short story is i want to make it more baja capable, not that i am going to do the baja, but i like the look/performance aspect of the trophy truck. at the moment the truck is stock except for a larger set tires.

heres what i would want to do:
    1. lift (4/5'')
    2. larger tires (prob 33's)
    3. sound system upgrade (gotta have some bump)
    4. performance upgrades (more power/torque with out killing the mpg's)
    5. have a blast in upgraded truck..... (as it is the daily driver :D)

now i am a total newbie at all the truck/car modifing out there so i am looking for some recommendations on parts and things that would work with my truck. any help that you can offer would be much appreciated.

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I have a 2010 2.7 4x4 with 2.5 inch lift and 32" tires and just got 4.88 gears installed front and rear. The regear is by far the best mod - more power and torque than anything else.

I'm goin to upgrade to 3" coilovers and 2.5" Dakar leafs in the rear cuz my current daystar block lift just aint cuttin it.

I have a Volant CAI with ram air, doug thorley header, and doug thorley cat back exhaust. I think the CAI provides the most performance but the exhaust system sounds bad ass and helps a little too.

But definitely get gears once you get bigger tires; 4.88s at a minimum.

3. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    also I have a 12" kicker sub with a 500 watt RMS kenwood amp (1000W max) and it rocks the shit out of the single cab - probably a little too much. A 10" sub in a single cab would be perfect.

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    mtb

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Herdon, VA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD blue ribbon
    I'm thinking about getting a Doug Thorly header and a megaflow exhaust system... what would advantages to adding something like this besides the alsome sound? any body runnig this sort of set up and have any issues?

Is getting a cai really worth the money? I've seen people recommending taking out the charcoal air filter... what r the real benifits from adding a cai?

5. Nov 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    Headers and exhaust = awesome sound and maybe 5-10 horses. Minor performance is felt with top speed increasing also. My Volant cai with ram air makes the most noticable difference tho - acceleration and ease of cruising at higher speads was definitaley noticed.

The best thing i did to my truck was regearing with 4.88s. A must if u have bigger tires

6. Dec 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    mtb

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Herdon, VA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD blue ribbon
    would i need to redo the comp/rechip if i did the cai/headers/exhaust?

7. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Yo! PJ! whats up man, haven't talked to you for a while. douge said he's having a good time in all of the snow. i'm guessing you are too :)

you don't need to do anything to the trucks computer to run that stuff. the truck already has a "cold air intake" by going aftermarket, you're really just putting in a less restrictive filter. the two basic options you have for the intake are a direct drop in filter that goes in the factory location. the advantages to that are that you never have to buy another filter again, just clean that one as needed. if you go full on intake system, whether you build one, or buy one, you get both the reusable filter, and a louder engine sound. you may get a horse or two, but such a small amount will not be noticable.
    also, might as well take out the charcoal filter. it's easy, and won't damage your engine. i've had mine out forever.

as for the exhaust, search around as see what muffler you liek the sound of the best. get jsut that muffler, and skip the whole cat-back system. i'll bring my welder back with me over the summer and we can redo the entire exhaust with whatever sized pipe you want (2.5 in mandrel bent is good). that way you'll get the sound of the full on exhaust setup at 1/8 the price.

things obviously differ between your truck and mine, but of the three things you talked about, you'll probably notice the most difference with headers. i can't wait to get a set for mine!

8. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    supercharger!

9. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    this will work too :D

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    jcemitte

jcemitte Livin' the taco life

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tulare CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 5 lugger
    Deck Plate mod, Knock Off Flowmaster,billet grill, alpine HU w/kicker amp and pheonix gold 12" sub stock componets
    When you say baja your truck do you intend to take your truck out and jump it and haul ass over whoops or take your truck out in the dirt on some trails or what exactly did you have in mind? deciding what your intensions are is important to suspension set up as they are vastly different. if you just want some better off road capability a 3" lift is generally perfect and on the 4 banger i think they say 31"-32" plus regear is the max you should go for. for baja the suspension is a lot more complicated and expensive, and i think every serious Long Travel guy has at least one pretty gnarly "i broke the shit out of my suspension" story.

as for your slumpage (stereo) that depends on your range of music. unless you listen to one or maybe two kinds of music its hard to get a set up that will be completely satisfying. like me, i listen to heavy rock and electronica stuff, not and easy combo to set up for.

as far as power, there isnt a lot of options, your buddy had it right about the secondary filter and all that check out the deck plate mod, way cheaper than a CAI and is actually dyno proven. (although not a super increase). i just put a $100 flowmaster knock off on my 04 and got a noticable increase in mid range torque...my truck is still slow as shit though :) if you want to go fast forced induction is the only way. if you have a automatic trans - super charger a manual trans - turbo. both options are really expensive so you have to be uber dedicated to your cause.

Ok so this is more like my .50¢ lol but i hope it helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top