1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Tacoma Throttle Response Prob?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MooseTX82, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 [OP] Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    Hey guys,

My Co-worker has been having a recent problem with this 04 Tacoma. He said after he drives it for like Half hour or so he will get no throttle response. He will press the gas down and it wont go nor will the RPM rev up. It just wont respnond unless he slams the throttle. Sometimes if he lets it cool down for a bit it will go again and then it repeats itself. The dealer replaced his whole throttle assembly and it still did not fix the problem. Wondering if you guys had any suggestions or any experience with this problem on the first gens. Of course he doesnt have TW so I said I'd hit you guys up for him and said GET TW!

2. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    No check engine light? I wonder if his throttle cable is binding somewhere. . .

3. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    I have similar symptoms with my '03 in the past. Early on, when running at high speeds over 55mph I would lose revs and speed very briefly. It was scary driving down the highway and the truck would decelerate on me. The dealer diagnosed that as a faulty TPS and said the WHOLE throttle body needed to be replaced in order to replace the TPS. $1200 later, that problem was solved.

I also had an issue where I could not accelerate from a stop light or such. Really sluggish, it would eventually get up to speed, but, I felt like an old lady driving. Ran horribly as well. Never popped a code. But the dealer figured out I had bad catalytic converters. And it never popped a code!

In order to test his theory the mechanic took the catalytic converters off and drove it to see how it felt. Yeah, loud as hell, but that was the problem. Replaced both with Magnaflow direct fit, bolt-ins and have had them on there over 18 months with no codes.

Hope some of this helps

4. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 [OP] Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    Hmmm. Wonder if hes having the same problems as you had with that 03. Thanks

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I agree with RacerP on the CAT theory. A clogged CAT will harbor those symptoms. Tell your friend he can see if the CATs are clogged by running it at night, getting the truck to operating temp, then crawl under there and see if it is glowing.

Products Discussed in

To Top