1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 2.7 problem...sort of

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by danteisme, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    most noticeable around 2200-2800 if im heavier on the throttle, like accelerating up a hill. basically when the truck is under more of a load than usual

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

And is it a annoying harsh type vibration noise that can be loud enough its easier just to downshift and run a higher RPM than deal with the noise?

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    yeah sort of. it does it in all gears, so i cant downshift out of first haha. the noise may still be present at higher rpms, i just cant hear it or feel it becuase its more noticeable in that rpm range.

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

Mine has developed in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, now too. And yes downshifting is a problem. It really sucks in mountainous areas because its hard to use the engine to slow the truck down without a mechanical grinding type noise that makes you want to pull our teeth out!

Man I would love to find out I'm not the only one with this problem! Although I do feel bad that someone else has this problem haha.

I know its long but if you want check this out and see if anything sounds familiar...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/114395-4th-gear-40mph-loud-rattle-type-noise.html

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Back on your original problem, I know the starter relay was replaced on my truck before I bought it... Seemed kinda strange to me, but it might be have something to do with it.

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    hmmm very interesting. when i first bought the truck there was some "gear" sounds from the tranny under load at a lower rpm, but i just figured this was a noisy tranny. however, recently the noise has gotten louder and louder. i can actually hear a "chirp" sound sometimes, almost like a belt chirping. but only at a certain rpm under a certain load, its without that sound more than it is just becuase its so hard to reproduce the condition.

small update, ever since my trucks episode the other day, it hasnt even blinked an eye firing right up with this recent cold weather.. my truck confuses me sometimes...

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

The chirp noise could possibly be the throwout bearing. The 6 speeds are notorious for it. Ive often wondered if my noise isn't something on the front of the tranny. Since the tranny has been replaced, and if its not something on the front of the tranny, that pretty much leaves the engine.

It would be nice to find it is something rattling.

I have noticed that when decelerating, there is a high pitched rattle noise too. It can only be heard with the window down. It usually helps to be near a curb.

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i thought if it was a TOB it only made the sound when the clutch was depressed? this noise shows up at that certain rpm and my foot nowhere near the clutch

9. Nov 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    original problem, sounds like a battery problem to me also.....you might have a ground loose some where but if you are still running battery that came with the truck, buy a new battery, install it and call it a day. :D

10. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

I would think the same, but I know there is slack under there somewhere. I have read that its pretty common, but you may notice during the summer there is a rattle from the tranny in neutral with the AC on. It goes away when you press the clutch.

I'll have to read up on the 6 speed trannys to find out for sure when the TOB squeaking noise happens. I imagine it would be similar if that is your problem.

I have noticed something similar with the noise we are talking about. When I'm under a load and hearing the horrible noise, its seems to get quieter when I start pressing the clutch, until the point its slipping, then its gone because the engine is no longer under a load.

I just really want to know, everyone else with a Second Gen 4 Cylinder 5 speed...
    Is your drive train smooth from idle all the way up to shifting time? This is both accelerating and decelerating. Is it perfectly smooth(for a truck anyway) and quiet when you use the engine to slow the truck down from 3000RPM to idle?

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    My truck is pretty smooth except the tranny noise in the summer while at idle. Noise goes away when I press in the clutch.

Than there is a screeching noise which I described here. LINK --> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/125206-screeching-clutch.html

Products Discussed in

To Top