1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Electrical Glitch?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MYSUV, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    MYSUV

MYSUV [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Bone Stock
    My '05 is having some issues. When it's wet out, the battery light goes on and off at different intervals, and the airbag comes on one day, and is off the next. This am, leaving for work, I noticed the headlights are dimming in and out. They never go off, they're just inconsistent. Am I having voltage regulation issues? Could something be cracked allowing moisture in? Not much of an electrical troubleshooter.

Truck runs fine through all of it, and there is no indication that the battery is being drained too much. It always starts fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    How's the drive belt for the alt.?

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    One thing I would check is to see if water is coming in through the firewall where the wiring harness travels. I had some trouble like this on my 05 until I used some Duct tape to seal it up. There was also a small hole where a plug was missing in the front driver side wheel well. I put a nut and bolt there, and sealed up around all the wiring with duct tape and the problem has not returned.

Edit: If your are getting water in there, you may need to remove the kick panel dry all the wires and connections out and use some electrical connection cleaner on the connections to make sure you dont end up with corrosion.

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    MYSUV

MYSUV [OP] Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Bone Stock
    Thanks. I should check the belt. It's been a couple of years and my AC compressor seized which probably has caused some drag on it.

Good suggestion on the firewall. I've also been getting the truck hot oil rust proofed, and perhaps the pressure from that has forced out some plug allowing water to run it, or maybe the rust proofing snuck in to a connection. Hmmm..

Products Discussed in

To Top