1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 front shock replacement w/o spring compressor

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paulrv6, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Feb 7, 2022 at 6:30 AM
    Paulrv6

Paulrv6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I read the posts and saw the video from "old man emu struts" and it seems pretty straight forward but is it actually? Have many others used this procedure and how did it work out? I am going to replace only the shocks with stock ones. My truck only has 75K miles but being in the rust belt it has its share of rust underneath.
    I always like to do repairs myself, so I know how it is done and if it's done right.
    What is your take on this procedure? Thanks

ohcaltexscar likes this.
  2. Feb 7, 2022 at 6:35 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    I know @ohcaltexscar used this method and had luck.

There are a few posts somewhere here that people talk about doing it that way.

I’ve tried one and didn’t have luck using the truck to compress to put them together (over a year and a half ago).
    Ill be trying again this week to swap out my springs. I’ll let you know how it goes if I get done before you do.

ohcaltexscar likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Ok please do. I won't be doing this for a while just getting prepared. Thank you

hyrule_trd likes this.
  4. Feb 7, 2022 at 7:46 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I've done this countless times and it works really well. The key is to have a proper floor jack (not a bottle jack, scissor jack, or that tiny "floor" jack). It can also be more difficult if you're using stiffer springs and the truck isn't heavy enough to support them. Meaning the truck will start lifting up before the coils compress enough to assemble them.

5. Feb 7, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Interesting, I had not thought about this. I wonder if this is why I didn’t have luck putting mine together the first time, we’ll that and the shock piston with mine are not pressurized…
    The larger are on now so that should not be an issue putting the lower rated springs on, 826 to 720# (assuming the conversion from N/mm to LB/in is right :rofl:)

ohcaltexscar likes this.
  6. Feb 7, 2022 at 8:31 AM
    y=mx+b

y=mx+b Station Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lafayette, IN
    Vehicle:
    '05 T4R SR5 v6 4wd
    I did this method when I replaced my shocks and springs. I'd also suggest replacing the top hats while you're in there, mine were stuck to the top of the coil bucket and I had to air hammer them out. I used KYB tophats

Here are some pictures that may help:

When replacing the tophats, make sure you don't double bushing the top. I made this mistake first and it was impossible to assemble. The new shocks will probably come with a bushing to go under the tophat, but some of the new tophats also have the bushing pre-glued underneath them. You only need 1 under there.
    [​IMG]

I used the factory bottle jack to support the spindle and UCA assembly while I removed the LCA
    [​IMG]

Then snaking the spring/shock assembly in. I put the top hats in the coil buckets already and had the nuts run down by hand, but with a little wiggle room to help with alignment
    [​IMG]

This is using the jack to compress the springs. I found it easier and safer to have the jack going across from the far side. Coming from the front had the jack weirdly side loaded, and the packaging doesn't work to come from the outside in.
    [​IMG]

make sure you watch the top of the shock shaft and guide it through the top hat. It can help to have a buddy to pump up the jack while you align the shaft. you can see here its all wack and needs aligment
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then once it was aligned, I kept going until it just before it lifted. Then I threw the bushing and top washer on and tightened it with vice grips on the flats and a ratcheting wrench on the nut
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Feb 7, 2022 at 10:29 AM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    If I need top hats where are the best ones to get? Thank you very much.

8. Feb 7, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
  9. Feb 7, 2022 at 10:34 AM
    y=mx+b

y=mx+b Station Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lafayette, IN
    Vehicle:
    '05 T4R SR5 v6 4wd
    I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7S0KA8. Tophat is probably not the best name for them if you're searching, sorry thats just what I always called them

They come as individual, so get two of them. For $25 a piece, was worth it to just pull the whole old assembly out and chuck it without needing to disassemble. Not to mention the replacement of a 16yr old rubber part is always a good idea

ohcaltexscar and hyrule_trd like this.
  10. Feb 8, 2022 at 11:30 PM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Thanks guys.

11. Feb 9, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    One final thought and you might already be planning on it… I used blue locktite on those two bottom steering knuckle bolts.
    This might also help, these should be good for 2nd and 3rd gens-

754C211F-B68E-45B2-B7EC-20619E109884.jpg
    879FD2C0-C42B-4CF1-871D-F86A32FA0D3C.jpg

TnShooter likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Thank you for this information and taking the time to post it. I am going to review this further and may be back with more questions before starting this project.

paul

hyrule_trd and y=mx+b like this.
  13. Feb 9, 2022 at 8:11 AM
    taco912

taco912 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of the Bridge
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4.0 AT 4x4 SR5 TRD OR
    Yep, used this method several times, top hats (1x), shock changeout (2x), indexing 1500's for lift (3x), total front end rebuild (1x). Have only used it with stock OR springs using a floor jack.

14. Feb 9, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I will be changing out the original Bilsteins to new original shocks and same springs. Just not sure if I should get spring perches (top hats) or not. I'm just worried about all the rust my truck has but I'm going to try.

15. Feb 9, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Unless you are on a seriously tight budget then I would replace the top hats. 17 years is a good run for the originals but it's time for them to die.

y=mx+b likes this.
  16. Feb 9, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    AJKlug1

AJKlug1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACLB 4x4
    Full sound system, 3rd gen OR suspension, pro headlights & more
    Never thought of doing it this way, nice!

17. Feb 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    So are the KYB strut mounts comparable or just as good as the OE toyota mounts? Thanks

18. Feb 9, 2022 at 4:04 PM
    slixx1320

slixx1320 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not just take apart the assembly and bring it to a shop to do?? I'm sure they wont charge more than $20-40 to remove the top hats.

19. Feb 9, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    Paulrv6

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Either way I would still have to buy the top hats. I prefer to do things myself if at all possible. I am just debating on the type of mounts to buy and whether or not they are needed.
    paul

slixx1320 likes this.
  20. Feb 10, 2022 at 3:47 PM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ended up changing my springs out today. I took my time and had interruptions plus lunch, took about 4 hours. That includes pulling my aftermarket skid plat off, putting the supports back on (above where the oem skid plate would be) adjusting the spring seats and jacking the back and flipping a bolt around on the drivers side leaf saddle.
    Probably took 30 min to adjust the spring seats, they were on there good. I did the same thing that @y=mx+b did but also disconnected the sway bar from the spindles. I marked the cams to get them back to where they were till I can get it aligned again.

y=mx+b likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top