1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ lower ball joint need help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by sprocketdog, May 27, 2011.

1. May 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    sprocketdog

sprocketdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 96 Taco 06 TSX 94 extra cab Hilux
    DR coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Dakar rear springs, Bilstien 5150s, Demello sliders, rear plate bumper w/ swing gate, and alot more mods. [IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/sprocketdog1/059.jpg[/IMG]
    I have had issues with my lower ball joints recently and thought it was time to replace along with the wheel bearings. I have a set of federal mogal (Moogs) but once I pulled the factory lower ball joint out it is a smooth shaft (that fits into the lower control arm), and the new ones are splined. I checked with my digital caliper and the new ones are .02 off. Has any one used these before ( going from smooth shaft to spline?)

:confused:

2. May 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    sprocketdog

sprocketdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 96 Taco 06 TSX 94 extra cab Hilux
    DR coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Dakar rear springs, Bilstien 5150s, Demello sliders, rear plate bumper w/ swing gate, and alot more mods. [IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/sprocketdog1/059.jpg[/IMG]
    Sorry they are not Moogs they are napa part# 260-1736 I had them mistaken for the bearings.

3. May 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Mid-travel
    King 2.5 coilovers w/ resi and adjustable compression. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Light Racing UCA's. Glassworks fenders. DMZ bed cage. King 2.5x14 smoothbody remote resi shocks in the rear. Icon progressive add a leaf 1.5" lift. Race radio (2meter). Removed swaybar. Removed front mud flaps. Removed secondary carbon air filter. Magnaflow exhaust. Phram fresh air cabin filter. Sirius satellite radio. HID headlights high/low beam and fog lights. Remote start system. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo with 10" subwoofer, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, TRD seat covers.
    They'll fit. Running a moog (splined) ball joint myself. It's no easy task, but they will fit assuming you have the correct part number. I had issues getting the moogs to go in straight since I didn't use a press, but after repositioning the clamp a few times it worked.

4. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 coilovers w/ resi and adjustable compression. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Light Racing UCA's. Glassworks fenders. DMZ bed cage. King 2.5x14 smoothbody remote resi shocks in the rear. Icon progressive add a leaf 1.5" lift. Race radio (2meter). Removed swaybar. Removed front mud flaps. Removed secondary carbon air filter. Magnaflow exhaust. Phram fresh air cabin filter. Sirius satellite radio. HID headlights high/low beam and fog lights. Remote start system. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo with 10" subwoofer, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, TRD seat covers.
    My way was ghetto. It might be worth it to drop the arms and have the ball joints professionally pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I used a standard ball joint press but had to order and extra cup online that was to the exact dimensions required for the toyota ball joint. Even then I still had to do some tool modification.

Be sure your ball joints are the issue because it sucks trying to replace them yourself. My ball joints turned out to not be the issue I thought I was having :eek:

5. Aug 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Anything is possible but for me it took the clamp compressed to the point of near breakage while I struck it with a sledge hammer over and over again. Only with that combination did I get it to budge. I couldn't hardly believe how stuck they were. Best of luck to you!

To Top