1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Motor Mounts Failed/Failing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Khaos, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    Kooltaco

Kooltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD DC

No. The FJ's are made in Japan.

2. Dec 30, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The FJ's may be made in Japan, but the Frames are made by Dana Corp.

Ok. I cant find my info on the FJ frames. I have verified that the Tundra and the Tacoma are indeed made by Dana Corp, but I cant find anything on where the frames for the FJ are made. It seems the FJ is "made" by Hino motors", in Japan for Toyota. Hmmmm.

3. Dec 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    It looks to be more of a design flaw as apposed to poor welds. I mean the welds on my truck look like shit, but the ones on the FJ look like good beefy welds, and they didn't fail the frame section around the weld did? I wonder if any Tundra guys are having problems, bigger, heavier engine...

4. Dec 31, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    colvilletacoma

colvilletacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    But it seems like on the Tacoma's its a combination of both. The welds (in my case on my truck) seem to have been way too hot and just weakened the frame. Its almost pefectly cut out, i think the welds held and are still there inside the frame but obviously i dont have x-ray vision so i cant see in there. I have to convince my dad to let us use his truck to get mine back so i can do a quick fix on my truck and get it back on the road.

5. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

But not without the owner haveing to fight Toyota to get the repair prosess started.

6. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    I have never once acted like an ass to the dealership. Even after they said "well we want to do an entire frame swap....but i wont do it because I dont know if this damage will happen again". He was talking about my undercarrage and how the crossmember had gotten hit by something, not by me but more then likely the previous owner, and i was blamed for it. The Service Rep also tried to downplay me by trying to suggest the suspension caused the damage but had nothing to go with and tried to make me look stupid and it backfired on him when I asked him "how?". I never once lost my temper and right now im at the state of whether I want to go through Arbitration or take it to court or something like small claims court. I dont want to go through Arbitration due to the fact taht they want to do an entire frame swap. I dont want my truck on a new frame and I should take toyota to court for the whole $10,000 and do what I want with hit after I fix my truck. Some dealers are better then others. Im not saying that all the people at my dealer are bad but I am not a fan of the Service Manager thats for sure. Nor the Regional Reps. But what am I suppose to do? The process has already begun but we are deciding which route we should go because all of this is costing me money and on top of it all I dont even get a rental and am forced to use my dads truck which leaves him without transportation (i have to drive 15 miles to work). This is probably the worst situation to go through and I dont wish it upon anybody

7. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    SnoBoarder

SnoBoarder Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    85 4Runner - Built not Bought
    Does your Regional Rep and Dealer know they changed the mount design starting with the 07's?

8. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Thats a good question, i wish i would of known that before I went there that time and could of let them know of the information. I know they had to know, they went and talked among themselves for like 15 minutes and know they were talking to someone higher up then themselves on the phone

9. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you sent any messages to the corporate offices? They should know what's going on as well.

10. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Ive sent something to Toyota R&D but nothing to the corporate office yet. I think i will but Im not sure how much good thats going to do me. They will just brush me off like any other customer trying to reach them

11. Jan 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corporate must have a customer relations division. Tell them these trucks aren't living up to the Toyota reputation. Send them pics. Does anyone know if the Hilux frames are of similar design? I would think with the heavy diesel it would be much improved?

12. Jan 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Im sure if the hilux frames are the same that they at least have the added support. I might have to look for the Corporate numbers/contact info and write them an e-mail or call the uppers and see what I can do. I doubt it will help me any though. I think they are pretty much not going to do anything period

13. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    dtacow

dtacow Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Hilux frame is much different from the Tacoma frame. I know it is fully boxed. I don't know what the motor mounts look like though. I'm going to pay to have reinforcements welded onto my frame at a shop in Colorado.

14. Jan 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    Pretty new to this site, but this thread almost hyper ventilated me!!! The wife bought a 05 DC SR5 about three months ago. The entire undercarriage and the front end looks new??? Could it be that the previous owner had this issue?? The build date was 05/05. And it states that it was manufactured in California. Does any of the above info raise a flag with you guys?? Funny side note... two days after she bought the truck the transmission went out, they replaced it free.

15. Jan 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^ If your truck hasn't been off road, it's probably fine. The only pics I could find of a Hilux frame looked very similar to ours, only like dtacow says fully boxed, It looks like the motor mounts are in the same location on the diesel, I couldn't see them very close tho. I'm going to get mine welded up, looks like a bitch of a job tho.

16. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    dtacow

dtacow Well-Known Member

Member:
  17. Jan 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Got my Tacoma back today! Im happy! Not happy that it wasnt fixed, happy that toyota is going to be brough to court and Im getting it fixed this week though. As for worrying about your truck I would get a carfax kvnhlstd to see if it has anything on carfax.

18. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    It was carfaxed prior to purchase... one owner, no accidents, etc. I think the guy that owned it prior just took really good care of it. He lived down in Yuma... I think it was a marine or prior service. I found spent casings under the hood, 9mm and found 7.62 rounds in the storage bin.

19. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Im sure he did take very good care of it. I wouldnt be too worried unless you plan on wheeling it hard. Just make sure you check them from time to time if you do offroad. It wouldnt hurt to beef them up but its really not worth spending the money if you dont offroad.

20. Jan 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

Products Discussed in

To Top