1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 rear end bad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mjlenz, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    mjlenz

mjlenz [OP] Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    I have a 05 TRD package. I let the clutch out the other day and something let loose in the rear end. I pulled the axles and the differential and found that the right axle's splines were chewed off about 1/2" on the end of the axle. I also noticed that the bearing appears to have been going bad. Upon inspection of the differential the slip clutch's splines are also screwed. This looks like a lot of money and time to order all the parts, tear down and put back together.
    I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket complete rear end out there that I can buy and just swap the whole assembly out. I don't really need the e locker rear end as I have never used this feature since I owned the truck. Surely it doesn't hurt anything to just leave the e locker connectors and air line hanging does it?
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    mjlenz

mjlenz [OP] Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Yeah that's what it looked like happened to the axle splne. I think when the bearing went bad the axle had enough wobble to it to f up the end of the shaft and chew the slip clutch inner spline (I thinks that's what that is anyhow).
    So is Toyota the only place that I can get parts for this and you have to make a special tool to press the bearing out too? How bout the sensor gear, does it just slide off the axle?

I'd really appreciate getting a lot more input on this. I'm a pretty decent mechanic and I'm an electronic tech/electricia by trade so I'm capable of doing the job I just need some help getting started. Thanks ahead of time!

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    What you need is new axle http://www.car-part.com/ for junkyard parts.
    You can make own tool to press bearing out. when you get another axle with housing just cut the axle tube next to third weld ring on the top of it and ...voila its your special tool. :D [EDIT: SST for rear axle there is ]
    your junkyard axle should have ABS ring on it.

To Top