1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Sienna Alternator

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by drmax, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    drmax

drmax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    Got called out this morning for jump start on our Sienna. (completely dead...no light or no key fob entry) I cleaned terminals, which pos. was minor corroded. Original battery with a green eye and full of fluid. Ran it by autozone, they did the test on car, determining battery fully charge, (uh, hard to believe since I "just" jumped it) and they said "diode fault" which would normally mean alternator. (terms cleaned prior to a/z test) Crap!...so I drove it home...re-started it without issue (seems a bit odd if alt. was not putting out) after having driven it for 30 miles then I ck'd it with a fluke v.o.m. and rad 12.71 vdv. Running it would appear to be charging normally and nearly 13.75. "Nothing" was left on inside van to run bat. down. Ok...can an alt. just start to be going out, intermitent....or is autozone's tester somehow inacurrate? The belt is tight on alt. I'm not slow charging battery, just for grins, with cables removed. Give me some sort of idea what I'm looking at here. We're leaving on a 1 week trip in 2 wks. Rather not pitch a good alt. away. Thx, DM

2. May 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    drmax

drmax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    I know the diode acts like a valve....i hooked cables back up and will monitor over the next 24 hrs. If the battery goes dead, then it is the alt. Later

To Top