1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Taco acting goofy, Electrical problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Catscratch, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Mar 29, 2023 at 4:32 PM
    Catscratch

Catscratch [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    I've done a search and didn't find what's going on...

In the last 2 weeks it's done this 3 times: Start, die instantly, AC button light comes on. Next try it starts fine.

Today I parked, hit the lock button on the FOB and nothing. Got back in and turned the key on, nothing at all. Tried to start, nothing. Waited an hour and it did the die and AC on again, then started fine on the second try.

I'm lost. Thinking ECU but don't know. It's intermittent so I don't know how to test. No flashing lights or codes. Fairly certain it's getting ready to leave me stranded though.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Any solid ideas?

Thanks!

2. Mar 29, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    When it doesn't start do your dash lights come on like normal or do you have nothing?

Catscratch[OP] and TnShooter like this.
  3. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:02 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    Check your battery cable connections and the state of charge of the battery.

Jimmyh, Philrab, Tacoma Mike and 2 others like this.
  4. Mar 30, 2023 at 5:13 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    When it starts but immediately dies all the lights and everything comes on normal. The only odd thing is that the AC button will be on and the engine dies. It has always started fine the next try.

Yesterday when it wouldn't start at all I had nothing. No dash lights, no FOB commands, no radio, no windows, no locks, absolutely nothing. But, an hour later everything worked fine.

It has worked fine since, got me home last night and to work this morning.

I did notice this morning that all my radio presets were still programmed, but my clock had reset (with yesterday's no start incident).

5. Mar 30, 2023 at 5:17 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    My way of thinking is that if the battery had a goofy short or something going on and the truck had zero electrical (like it did yesterday) that the radio presets would have been lost. Also along the same train of thought, if a cable was loose and I had lost connection wouldn't I have lost my presets? Plus there is no shortage of cranking amperage while the engine is turning over. She spins just fine. With all that said I've certainly had batteries do goofy things that I couldn't explain.

6. Mar 30, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    So your saying the A/C light comes on by itself even with the blower switch off?
    You say sometimes it cranks fine but you have no electrical power to anything else on the truck?

7. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:03 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    When it starts and then immediately dies the A/C light comes on by itself, even with the blower off.

No. The one time it had no electrical, it had zero electrical anywhere. It did not crank. The truck was completely dead. It has only done this once (yesterday). An hour later when I tried again everything worked and she started. When I said that the engine cranks fine I was just stating that the battery doesn't seem to be weak.

8. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    How many miles on the truck?

Any chance you or PO had a custodial grade wad of keys on your key ring?

Just toying with the idea of a faulty (worn or dirty) ignition switch. Seen more than one, and several traced back to a big 'ole wad of keys hanging there for many a mile. Others were grime filled from just dirty cabs. Windows down, dusty job sites, fields, etc etc.

But always start simple. Load test the batter and confirm clean and snug terminals. It's free. Then go from there.

9. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:14 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    Just to be clear; there are two different things going on here.

1. Sometimes it will start and die immediately after firing. When this happens the A/C light comes on.

2. Zero electrical. One time right after parking the truck it had zero electrical. I pulled into the parking stall, got out, hit the door lock button and they didn't lock. I went back and there was zero electrical. No lights, no fans, no locks, etc. An hour later I tried again and it started so I drove home. Everything worked fine.

10. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:16 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Has it ever died once it's running?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure out what this all my have in common wiring wise.
    On the surface it looks like a main power or ground issue.

landphil likes this.
  11. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:21 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    Thanks! Lol, The key for the truck is solo. I have it separate from my other keys so it's only a key, a ring, and the FOB. It's never been a dirty truck, but it is close to 20 years old so buildup is certainly a possibility!

I'll clean the connections and maybe hit a parts store to see if I can get a load test done.

12. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    Nope, never died on me while driving.
    Ask as many questions as you want! I'll be glad to answer anything.

13. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:24 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Do you have a meter?
    I think the first thing I'd want to do is check voltage drop on main powers and grounds when it's acting up.

14. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:42 AM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    I've got a meter. I can leave it in the truck so that it's always on hand for when/if it acts up.

15. Mar 30, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    My hunch is that it's one of the main connections in the underhood fuse box like where the battery wire goes on the stud or at the big ALT fuse so I think I'd go there first.
    To voltage drop check the powers put 1 probe of your meter (set it to Volts DC) to the positive post of the battery and the other to the point you want to test, you should see no more than 0.5v

To to grounds same thing except put your meter lead to the battery ground post and the other to the ground point you want to check, I'd check engine block (although I suspect that's good since it always cranks fine), body grounds near the battery, and frame.

16. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:13 PM
    lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just about every electrical problem I've ever seen on a Toyota has been user induced. Do you have some of those dumbass gold plated battery terminals on it with 20 accessory wires coming off of it?

Check your connections. About the only way that NOTHING can work is if the battery is disconnected, or has a bad connection at one of the terminals.

17. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:42 PM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    I'll poke around with my meter and look for 0.5v or more at all the power spots I can find. Then I'll spend a little time taking apart and cleaning connections.

Dm93[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:49 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Just note the key should be on when doing this test so the circuits are loaded.

19. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:51 PM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    This one is all stock. No amps, equalizers, new radios, or other crap. Just a stock truck that hasn't been molested. I replaced the alt and battery a couple of years ago, that's about it. I'll clean the obvious connections to see if that helps. I did not "jiggle" anything between it not working and it working again. Didn't even open the hood. It just started working when I tried it later in the evening.

Will the radio presets stay in the memory if the battery is disconnected? The clock reset but the radio memory wasn't affected.

20. Mar 30, 2023 at 12:54 PM
    Catscratch

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma White
    None... yet
    Thanks! Lol, that actually helps. I imagine I would have figured that out when I went to test, but to be honest I hadn't thought of it yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top