1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 taco remote start help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tangeray, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    tangeray

tangeray [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys,

Ive tried searching for my specific problem, but cant seem to find the answer I need so i'll describe whats going on. I am installing a remote start and here is the problem:

Alarm: Viper 5701
    Bypass: 556UW with key

Problem: hit the remote start button, gives the good chime like its working. Lights come on inside the car, get to the point of cranking, clicks a few times inside the brain , but doesnt ever engage the starter. It tries this 3 times and give up giving me the bad tone on the keyfob.

Solutions tried: tried remote starting with key in, no go.

What im thinking: I heard mention that the 05 taco has a second starter wire? Not exactly sure how this would work. I foumd the green/black starter wire from the vehicle printout and cut it in half. Hooked keyside up and starter side appropriately. Im currently tapping into tach wire from behind OBD II interface.

Questions:
    - Can an improper tach prevent cranking?
    - I hooked up other pink/white wire to "second ignition" wire, could that be the problem?
    - is there anything else that could prevent the starter from cranking?

Thanks for the help

Chuck

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    tangeray

tangeray [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

No responses from anyone, but I figured out my problem and want to share in case anyone else is having the same issue.

Turns out, the 05 tacomas and other years require (2) Starters and (2) ignitions to be connected. The starter will NOT crank if both starter wires are not tapped into. Heres how I did it with the viper 5701

• Pink/White to Starter side of Starter 2 and Pink/Black to keyside of Starter 2
    • Reprogram Viper 5701 to use its "Flex IGN2 relay" to be a starter as per the installation manual
    Now here is where the final problem lies. There still needs to be a second ignition so you need to wire up a standard automotive relay to power the second ignition wire. This is my question.

Can someone explain to me how I would wire up a standard relay to power the second ignition wire of the vehicle? The viper 5701 comes with a 200ma (-) output to power a second ignition relay, but im unsure of how to hook this up. Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Chuck

To Top