1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Taco "restoring"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds' started by bwp, Mar 3, 2013.

1. bwp

bwp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bought my first Tacoma a few weeks ago. Bought it from a guy in Colorado. He bought it from a dealer in Vermont where the original owner lived. I flew down to Colorado to get it. Looked at the truck overnight and noticed some damage to the body here and there. My main concern was if the truck was mechanically sound and it was. So i bought it and stayed at my dads in Colorado Springs for a few days. Well we looked at the truck some more in close details and noticed that cosmetically there was a lot more wrong with it than i thought when i looked at it the night before. There is lots of rust/corrosion, rear end has been hit at some point in life and the front as well. I do regret buying this truck just because i felt like i paid a bit to much, but i just have to take it like a man and move forward.

When i got home i really looked at the truck in great detail and even went as far as get the service history for the truck. Well after looking at it, i felt better but still regret it. Its a no wonder why the truck runs and drives great is because of all the service that was done on it. A few things to list: 6 speed manual transmission replaced, exhaust manifolds and exhaust tubing replaced with o2 sensors, leaf springs replaced, and other minor servicing. So really all im dealing here with is just rust/corrosion and bodywork.

I decided to get to work and bring this truck back to good shape starting with the frame with out spending an arm and a leg on it. Really just the rear and front of the frame needs treated, the middle where the cab sits is fine. I stared in the bed area. Took the bed completely apart. Breaking it down all the way will also help my painter not having to do so much work and ease up on the bill.

I thought about taking out that x frame and fabricating me a tubular x frame but i think i may just leave it. After all this is going to be my daily driver and i hardly tow anything heavy or big, at most just a trailer with a car on it.

The rust looks bad but it really isnt that bad, no holes that ive found. The flaking is this coating i would assume the original owner put on cause it doesnt look factory. Its pretty much the coating mixed with surface rust. My goal is to strip the frame down to bare metal and coat it with real man coating, POR15. stuff works great, used in the past.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body damage on the rear was on the bedside fenders (most of it on the driver side), rear cross sill, and lower corner of the tailgate. The rear tail lights didnt line up at all since the rear cross sill was damage which made the area on the side panels where the tail lights attach too no line up. The tailgate hinges were bent so the tailgate didnt line up or open and close smoothly. I only have pics of the panels and cross sill for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all i have for now, waiting for parts to arrive this week (new rear cross sill, led new taillights, new rubber for the flares, new rear lower side garnish, new tailgate hinges, sport smoked headlights, new front driver side fender, and front bumper reinforcement).

2. dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
  3. bwp

Member:
  4. bwp

Member:
    Got some parts in today. I havent worked on the truck any, got home to late from work.

Rear cross sill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got damaged a bit on a corner but should bend back easily. Not sure what this cross sill is coated with but it sure is cheap, it just flaked right off in that corner.
    [​IMG]

Passenger side trd sport smoked headlight. It does show a small spot of burnt lense, but its not that noticeable. If i really care that much right now i could just replace it with my other head light lense. Still waiting for the driver side to arrive. I am going to replace the bulb with an led to reduce heat and energy usage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tail lights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case any of you reading this is wondering, the tail lights from toyota comes with bulbs.
    [​IMG]

led portion of the tail light
    [​IMG]

Other miscellaneous parts: Tailgate hinges, rear bumper seals (my truck didnt have any covering up the bolts), rear lower side garnishes that cover up the hinge of the tailgate, and quarter panel flare rubber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.

5. ChamYota

ChamYota AKA Crash Bandicoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AND 82' Toyota P/U 4wd
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
  6. MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Good luck fixing it dude and while you are at put some bilstein 5100 shocks on it

7. bwp

Member:
    Thanks. I may later on but for now i need to focus on the things that need replacing first.

I got my fender and driver side head light in.

[​IMG]

Even though the box looks damaged and beat up, the fender was actually fine. I didnt see anything wrong with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now, i did a little work on the truck but nothing major, just prepping the frame for por15. Still waiting for my front bumper reinforcement and brackets to come in. I also will be ordering new oem bed side panels and tailgate.

8. kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
  9. T4C0CH40S

T4C0CH40S RINZLER

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    THE RECTIFIED PRERUNNER
    ADS Racing Shocks | Dirt King | KMFAB | Pelfreybilt | BruteForceFab | Total Chaos | HomerTaco | Toywerx | Tepui | MaxTrac | ICON | Stealth Custom Series | Stealth Runner 8 | Hankook M/T | SDHQ | ICON | TRS | Morimoto | Rigid Industries | VIP | Jumpers LEDs | Wet Okoles | Trailer Products | McNeil Racing | ECGS | AFe CAI | IAS | ...Check out my RECTIFIED BUILD>>>>>>>>>>>
  10. IluvmyTACO

IluvmyTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport
    Check them out :P
  11. PolarIce

PolarIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 4x2
    Does anyone else here think that might have been a flood vehicle?

12. bwp

Member:
    Alright got more pics.

Both R and L side bed panels arrived at my local toyota dealer along with the tailgate. I did not see any damage to the panels and tailgate so im happy.

[​IMG]

Tailgate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passenger side bed panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Driver side bed panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Box size comparison (both panels, rear cross sill, and tailgate)
    [​IMG]

My new used front bumper reinforcement
    [​IMG]

New front upper retainer
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.

Here is a list of parts i need to order. I have a bit more to go with the list, but not much. These are mostly just nuts, bolts, and clips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    Dang! What'd you pay if you dont mind me askin..

14. bwp

Member:
    I dont mind at all.

Each bed side panels was 462.96
    Tailgate was 340.63

Got this from my local dealer where my brothers friend works.

On http://toyotapartsbydonwood.com/ the panels are being sold at 443.67 and the tailgate for 372.60. But you have to factor in the shipping which is going to run around 200 or more.

That is the best online oem parts dealer i found for the best prices, ENJOY!! Literally cant be beaten unless you can get better prices from local dealer.

15. Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
  16. higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
  17. IluvmyTACO

IluvmyTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport
    Check them out :P
    Bump... Give us an update OP!

18. Large

Large Red

Member:
    Damn good job so far...

19. CanisLupus

CanisLupus Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    - Click Signature for Build Thread -
    :spy:

Glad it could go to a good home...

Matt

20. Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Single Cab Taco!
    EZ Lift/Pro Comp 3" lift. Spacer in front, add a leaf in rear, Bilstien 5100 shocks, TC UCA, 5% Tint all around, Painted all trim to match. Magnaflow muffler dumped, drop in k&n air filter, tinted tail lights
To Top