1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ Tacoma Diffs 4:56 + ARB

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Taco Jeff, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Apr 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    cmanhonor

cmanhonor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Artem
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Auto Silver Sky
    Sooooooo much want!!!!!! I wish I had the money :'( GLWS !!!

2. Apr 12, 2013 at 4:31 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I destroyed my first e-locker diff when the truck had 12k miles on it. Replaced it with a boneyard diff that lasted til 25k. On my third R+P now at 31k miles, Nitro gears set up by ECGS. I've taken a few other steps (solid collar, traction bar) to minimize stress on that point of the driveline.

We'll see. If it craps again in less than, say, 75k, the whole axle is getting torn out and something worth a shit will replace it.

3. Apr 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Taco Jeff

Taco Jeff [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Upland, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC LB 4X4
    Sway away, Deaver, Bilstien FWC
    Wow Dude! I am impressed. You really know your shit.
    I received the PM'S. I am trying to not have to package and ship these things.
    If I don't find someone to come pick them up, I will ship them to the best offer. FYI, there is one guy that knows what they are worth and wants them bad.

I loved having them in. I would 4wheel in 2wd to get stuck, then switch to 4wd and get stuck, and reach down and press the magic buttons and ease my way out. Front and rear lockers are the shit. I think the front was only engaged once on the trail. But I needed it. The front locker when engaged makes it very hard to steer.

Jeff

4. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Try a 5 gallon bucket for the rear if you end up shipping it.

Oh and John, adjusting wheels are the shit. :D

5. Apr 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    X10

You won't have a problem giving these away... to whoever gets them; I hate you :p

6. Apr 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    Akkelly

Akkelly Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Anchorage
    A Question that I know I'm going to get beat up for on here, but you guys seem to understand this stuff way better then me.
    I want the ARB,
    the stronger diff seems a no brainer,
    but ...
    Regearing ??
    What does that do for my truck?

Thanks for the help
    (2009 non TRD DC 4x4, auto, bumpers sliders and canopy 285/75/17)

7. Apr 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey! Mine had about 12K on it when the rear diff blew too... Warranty replaced it with toyota gears. Ended up being a bad install, i think do.to.using a crush sleeve again. Starting whining real bad after about 2000 miles so I pulled the third to.check it out and saw some knicks in the ring gear so I said screw it and called up ECGS and got 4.88's with a solid spacer. Like 10,000 hard miles later it's still going strong!:D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Apr 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Regearing with your tire size isnt totally necessary. When going to a larger tire (BIG 33+) because of the larger rotating mass it puts more strain on the powertrain to spin those heavier tires. Regearing compensates for this power loss and fuel economy loss. The bigger the gear the more power you'll get. 4.56 will keep you close to stock with a 35" and 4.88 will give you more power to the wheels.

9. Apr 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    superwhite

superwhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab 4x4
    Dana 60 rear Chevy 63's shackle flip mid travel gears lockers and 38's in progress
    I only need the rear. Pm me a price picked up. Cash ready.

10. Apr 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    As an FYI, you can't use 4wd if your front and rear gears don't match. Just making sure you know this before you buy the rear, not sure if you already have some 4.56's lined up for the front or not.

11. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    It's not just weight but a larger diameter tire in effect gears up. Reducing leverage and torque. If you gear down (numerically up) you counter this. The tire still weighs more and there is more resistance but you've compensated for the lack of leverage.

I know I've made some more detailed posts about this but this will have to do.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_gear_ratio_relate_to_speed_and_torque

12. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    superwhite

superwhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab 4x4
    Dana 60 rear Chevy 63's shackle flip mid travel gears lockers and 38's in progress
    Good looking out! My front is already setup with 4.56 thick cut nitro gears.

13. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Damn you. And I'm a half hour from you, too. Maybe I can find a bank without an alarm system...... :spy:

14. Apr 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    GLWS !

Brett

15. Apr 13, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    These haven't sold yet??

Damn....Good luck getting them a new home (and do it quick so I don't make a bad decision).

16. Apr 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    Taco Jeff

Taco Jeff [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Upland, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC LB 4X4
    Sway away, Deaver, Bilstien FWC
    They are still for sale. I was hoping someone would come pick them up so I did not have to ship them. I have a buyer back east that wants them. If no body grabs them this weekend, I will package them up.

Jeff

17. Apr 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'm ready. :cool:

18. Apr 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I'm local, and giving *serious* consideration. You have precisely what I will eventually end up with, but that's a serious chunk of change. I'm looking to see what I can do to make it work.

19. Apr 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  20. Apr 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    NativeTaco

NativeTaco Mountain Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '08 DCLB
    ARB, OME, BAMF, ATO, Rigid, more... Mountain Man Limousine
    You are just waiting around to see if the local guys can get this going huh? That is tough. This is a sweet deal. I am already :jellydance: of whoever gets this.

Products Discussed in

To Top