1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Tacoma trd sport, questions...Answers please.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrktz1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    jrktz1

jrktz1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    URD True Cold Air Intake, URD Maf Sensor Cal, JBA Headers
    As title says, not new to toyotas, just tacos. Need some answers.

First, has a shimmy, changed the front bearing/hub assembly, fixed it alittle but still has the shimmy(and getting worse) right around 50-70 mph. Needs bigger tires? Balancing? Could it be the infamous tranny shim? It happens while coasting though. Would adding a leaf help this? Mine is out of warranty for the tsb.

Actuating and releasing the back left brake, there is a loud squeaking noise, sounds like its coming from one of the lines in the wheel well. Air escaping the line?

Anyone installed JBA Headers to fix the exhaust leak/tapping noise on these? Ordered JBA manifolds hoping to solve this problem.

Thanks for the help.

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    jrktz1

jrktz1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    No one?

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Is the truck stock now?

The shimmy could be tires out of balance or, if the tires are older, one could possibly be out of round slightly. Bigger tires won't help if that's the case. Are the shocks in good shape? They can contribute to the shimmy also if they're in bad shape.

Rear brakes are drums, you might want to open the drum assembly and have a look. I'd guess the squeek is something inside the drum assembly. You could possibly need new pads but open it up and have a look.

I'm not familiar with an exhaust leak issue with these Tacomas. Seems if you had an exhaust leak it'd be accompanied by a Check Engine Light. I haven't seen many people write about JBA headers but plenty of people are running Doug Thorley headers. Depending on how they're configured, you might end up needing an O2 simulator if they get rid of the cats. No personal experience, just throwing it out there just in case you run into the issue.

Just so you know, the Tacoma engines do tick, nothing out of the ordinary there.

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    jrktz1

jrktz1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yay, a reply.

I will try a road force balancing. I hope it will solve this issue with the shimmy.

The brake issue is really weird, it doesnt seem to be coming from the drum at all, but the lines behind the tire, in the wheel well.

Yea I got some JBA headers from Urd, id like not to get rid of the cats, hopefully the headers seal tighter, and the leak goes away.
    And yes sir i know 4.0 tacos tick. But this is an affirmative exhaust leak coming from the stock manifolds.

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you're dealing with URD, you're in good hands. They have a great reputation on here and XRU.

Hopefully the road force balance will help. Are you still at stock height and stock sized tires? Some of the more aggressive tires can be tough to balance.

Products Discussed in

To Top