1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Transmission Seal Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by enjikari, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    jobrec

jobrec Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Mesquite, tx
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Debadged 2x4
    3" suspension lift, nitto terra grapplers on 18" he835 helo wheels, KDC-X395 radio, Alpine 500w amp, JL audio 10" thinline subwoofer
    I have the same problem, but my truck isnt under warranty anymore, am I SOL and should try to do it myself?

Im a mechanic for the army so im not too worried about doin it, just thought I'd ask

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    lucktoday

lucktoday Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Sport
    Sport Package
    I would first try to get Toyota to do it. There is a known defect, not just something worn out. In my case they changed out the seal a few times and ended up replacing a lot more. Even if you are a qualified mechanic, the parts will cost you a fortune. Then if it doesn't take you are stuck doing it all over again. At least make them help you out with advice on how far you should take it beyond the seal.

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    jobrec

jobrec Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Mesquite, tx
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Debadged 2x4
    3" suspension lift, nitto terra grapplers on 18" he835 helo wheels, KDC-X395 radio, Alpine 500w amp, JL audio 10" thinline subwoofer
    alright, appreciate the advice. I guess its a drive up there and empty my wallet haha

4. Oct 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    So I have been hearing a vibration or rattle when in reverse and thought it might be the tranny....I have the extension housing seal leak like the OP. It seems like a very small leak as there is no fluid on the garage floor. Glad to find out about the TSB and the new double seal. What would a dealer charge to replace the seal? Does the fluid have to be drained and flushed? The local dealer wanted $250 just to flush the tranny....seems way high. Should I be very concerned and not dirve the truck until I get it fixed?

Also @ chris4X4 how is the seal holding up? Is this a hard DIY fix or better to let the pros handle?

Dave

5. Oct 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    lucktoday

lucktoday Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Sport
    Sport Package
    The fluid has to come out when they do the seal and I doubt the dealer is going to try and reuse it or thats what they will say. The fluid is of course special and pricy. I'm not sure about your noise, you may have something else going on plus the seal leak. Even though it's a very small leak are you sure the fluid it's real low. I think if you were you would have sliping and jumping going on in drive.

6. Nov 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Bump to see how Chris4X4's new double lipped seal is holding up?! Just picked up the new seal yesterday....gonna have a shop install and drop pan/flush.

7. Nov 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Check your u-joint, does it look like it is corroded and ready to bust (mine did).

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    enjikari

enjikari [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Woolmarket, MS
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner 4.0V6 SR5
    I've had mine on for quite some time now. Absolutely no leaking issues anymore. Just as bone dry as the last time I wiped it clean after the install :cool:

9. Dec 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    takeastep

takeastep Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Corona, ca
    I just picked up a 2005 Double Cab Prerunner TRD sport with 75K miles, and there is a leak from the seal. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic/shop to take a look[​IMG]? I am in Corona, Ca. Thanks TW.

10. Jan 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    hualampeter

hualampeter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Chester, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Fox 3" Lift, Total Chaos UCA, and Wheelers Bumps.
    So I was wondering if the 2005 can use the Double Lip seal, since I been only allowed to get the single all around different stores. Telling me it wont fit in 05.

11. Jan 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM
    hualampeter

hualampeter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Chester, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Fox 3" Lift, Total Chaos UCA, and Wheelers Bumps.
    So I just did this shit today... Pain in the ass, I'm off by a QT of fluid because of AT TEMP CHECK gone bad lol!

Well to sum up the procedures (Prerunner) Remember to mark for alignment (WHite Out) Driveshaft (Remove Center support, 2x Screws.)===> Jack Stand in place for support. Rear Diff 4x Screws connected with Drive shaft (Use Pry Bar to pry the drive shaft off the rear diff.) ===> Rear Diff connected Drive Shaft removed, Pull Drive shaft towards rear diff to remove drive shaft off of rear Tranny T Seal.====> Pry seal out with some kind of J Hook tool (Pick)(A BITCH TO REMOVE). ======> Add new Seal (Use a circular object to hammer in new seal gently.(Hammering in a round motion to finish and flush, hammer side to side to be flush in the beginning.)====> Reassemble Drive Shaft====> Shaft inserted to tranny(Drive Shaft alignment with rear diff(Important) Move truck back and forth to rotate Rear Diff to align with Drive shaft if off by a bit. ===> Use star method to reinstall screw into rear Diff. =====> Install Center support screws. DONE!

Now Do a drain and refill to be accurate! :p

Products Discussed in

To Top