1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 transmission.. To FLUSH or not to FLUSH?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Frankoo1234, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Frankoo1234

Frankoo1234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 05 Taco PreRunner
    Running boards, Tint
    so i just hit a little over 60,000 i have an 05 dc v6 automatic truck.. ive been reading a ton of threads on changing the transmission fluid.. or flushing it.. Iam not sure if its me or if the truck is shifting a bit rough these days.. at high speeds it shifts smoothly and when its warm and i have driven it part of the day it also shifts better.. it mostly happens in the morning when its cold or i havent driven it..

some other info.. i believe the previouse owner did some but not a lot of towing but he also took care of the truck and had it serviced on schedule. (old mature rich guy type, nice person)

so the question is should i service the trans fluid.. DIY drain and fill (ive practicly memorized that thread).. have the stealership do a flush on it.. or have the stealership do just a drain and fill and see if the shifting improves... i have also heard that if you disconnect the battery for a bit it resents the comp and the shifting habits.. Does servicing it really change the feel of the shifting and stuff? like smoother shifting..? so what do you guys think.. sorry iam a noob in a lot of aspects and the one person i would ask (my dad) isnt near me.. and to be honest after reading countless threads on flushing drain and fill 100,000 miles or 60,000 miles ive gotten a bit confused.. thanks for the patience

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Jez

Jez Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    I didn't have mine flushed until 100k and even then the dealer tried to talk me out of it since there were no issues with the tranny. You cannot do the drain and fill properly on your own...leave it to the professionals. My tranny shifts rough when it is cold justl ike yours and that did not go away after the service was done. Don't worry about it until 100k!

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Im going to do it probably in the spring time, when I have a little extra spending money

4. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    gt4som

gt4som Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nelson
    Tampa, FL
    If I was you, I would just drain and fill the tranny fluid. See if you can buy Toyota tranny fluid. My girlfriend's 2003 Sentra with 130k miles was starting to shift rough when it was cold. I drained and filled the tranny with ATF and now it shifts smooth. Make sure you get the proper fluid for your tranny. You don't want to put gear oil in an auto tranny.

5. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    Frankoo1234

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Running boards, Tint
    yea ive read up on that write up and materials needed and stuff thanks for the input

6. Oct 28, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Frankoo1234

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Running boards, Tint
    any others

Products Discussed in

To Top