1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ V6 Tacoma Steering Rack Bushing replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToyoTaco06, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jun 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, all pro leafs, and AllPro Sliders
    How can we help?

2. Jun 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Any tricks or pointers to get the rack out of the truck?

3. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    Bee22971

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    when I did mine it was as stubborn as yours. I had to figure out which way to roll the rack forwards and backwards to get it to come out. That took 2 of us to do. You will need one person pulling and you will want to be under the truck guiding it. Mine kept on getting caught on the steering nub that was the hardest part to work it around. Also keep in mine that you will want to bungee everything up and out of the way you you can clearly see what your hooked on. It does pull out, it's just a pain in the ass project.

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    Bee22971

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    Last tip, when your attempting to pull out the old rack bushings sharpen up your pickle fork and give it some angle. Mine was horrible flat on the fork and wasn't getting under the bushing.

5. Jun 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    TanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    Thanks for the replies, 2 more quick questions.
    Do I need to bleed the system after I reinstall the rack?
    Is there a thread on reconnecting the AC compressor?

6. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    Bee22971

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    I bleed the system.

I didn't detach the ac so I'm not sure if there is a thread on it. Tacomaworld has almost every answer you need so I suggest becoming friends with the search function. It's saved me several times. If u google your question put tacomaworld in the search engine it sometimes does a better job then the internal search engine.

7. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Don't disconnect any of the ac lines, only unbolt the compressor from the engine to move it slightly out of the way. And yes, you will have to bleed the PS if you disconnect any of the lines, which you are doing in this case.

8. Jun 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    TanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Too late... I have indeed searched for bleeding the PS system but am having no luck finding a thread, does one exist?

9. Jul 30, 2015 at 5:36 AM
    OffsetPlayer2

OffsetPlayer2 Cornbread fed

Member:
    In the woods and fields, NC
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off Road 4wd
    Weather Tech floor mats
    sub for future.

10. Aug 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    Ok finally got around to tackling this rack. Was worried I'd run into trouble removing it. Worse part for me was the steering shaft and the rack bushings. Shaft was difficult to get apart as 7 years of corrosion kept it together. The bushings were giving me a little trouble till I figured out the shell is the item that needs to be pressed out. Used a pneumatic pickle fork and it help tremendously. Took me 2 hours of disassembly and once the rack was unbolted 10 minutes to remove. 5 minutes to get it back in. Took another 2 hours putting all back together. Of course had a few brews to help me along. No leaks. Steering is much better no wondering, pulling and hardly any bump steer. Next on list is bushings on LCA and alignment. Not a bad job like everyone makes it out to be.

freddy2923 likes this.
  11. Sep 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM
    youngfeller

youngfeller Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4 Base Model Regular Cab 5spd manual w/ 2.7 4 cyl
    Managed to get the two hydraulic lines off, mounting bolts, and detached the steering linkage from the top two bolts. I can't seem to remove the steering linkage from the where it meets the steering rack. Has anyone successfully removed their rack with it still attached? Haven't had any luck removing the entire rack yet......

12. Sep 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    youngfeller

youngfeller Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4 Base Model Regular Cab 5spd manual w/ 2.7 4 cyl
    I managed to get the new rack in. Now I'm having problems getting the bolt to thread all the way through the steering shaft where it meets the rack. I'm guessing I either have to compress the the split in the shaft or widen it back out? Any tips on this part?

13. Sep 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    You may have spread the coupling too much and the bolt won't reach opposite side or align correctly. Try compressing it with vise grips. And make sure the coupling is pushed all the way down over the shaft. Shaft is splined to accept the bolt and if coupling is not pushed down far enough the bolt won't pass thru.

14. Oct 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok, so I got a different truck now but never did the bushings on the '09.

The new truck only has 12k mi. on it. I got the front diff. out and sent it off to ECGS for some work. However, while waiting for the diff to return I'm asking myself whether I should do the bushings now because the opportunity presents itself, or whether it is a complete waste of time on a relatively new truck.

I'd like to especially hear from those who have done this. What is the down side of doing the bushings at such low miles? Rougher steering feel? Waste of time, wait until a lot more mileage?

15. Oct 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    anyone??

16. Oct 28, 2015 at 5:01 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Do it, benefits out weigh the cost.

17. Jan 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    If I go the route of removing the A/C compressor, what all is involved? I haven't done much engine work on the Tacoma in the 2 years I've owned it. Based on previous knowledge, I'm guessing I can find the tensioner pulley for the accessory belt, relieve tension and slide the belt off. Then unbolt the compressor. How much do I need to move this thing? If I take it off the motor completely are there any ill effects or can I just bolt it back on when I'm done?

I'm still going back and forth in my head between moving the compressor and cutting the bolt, then installing the new one upside down with some Loctite on it.

18. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I guess I got lucky. My bolts were already upside down for some reason. The rack came out pretty damn easy. The bushings are a different story. :sawzall::welder:

freddy2923 likes this.
  19. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Yea, I'm also trying to figure out a game plan for getting the bolts broken loose. So far (if I can't get at them from above with an impact wrench and extensions) I'm thinking, pull the front bumper cover off for more room and use a breaker bar with a cheater bar. Tried for shits and giggles to do with with a normal 17mm box wrench...nowhere near enough leverage (and yes I was trying to undo the bolt from above).

20. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:40 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    After doing this job myself I really don't understand why they say to loosen by the bolt only. It doesn't make sense to me and doesn't seem to make a difference as far as I can see. It's a bolt and a nut. Nothing special about it. :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top