1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05+ V6 Tacoma Steering Rack Bushing replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToyoTaco06, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jul 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    WTF???? Wrong thread methinks...

2. Jul 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    That sucks.

Didn't secure steering wheel while working?

3. Jul 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    what's the best way to secure the steering wheel, I will be doing this some day, and was wondering what the best way to do this?

4. Jul 25, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I wold take a ratchet strap or cam buckle strap, through the steering wheel and strap it to the seat sub frame. All it needs to do is keep the steering wheel from free rotating which is how the clock spring can break.

5. Jul 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    Thanks, thats kinda what i thought but thought maybe there was a better way, thats why i asked.

Crom likes this.
  6. Jul 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Accord Sport Special Edition
    Previous: 2006 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner: 2010 4Runner sr5 Rims, TSB rear leafs, Wetokole neoprene seat covers, JVC LED color matched head unit, scanguage II, Flowmaster 40 cat back exhaust, hankook dynapro atm tires, Class 4 Uhaul Hitch. Kicker 12 inch sub and amp. Focal speakers. jba offroad UCAs.. Detroit truetrac rear end... bilstein 5100 rear and 6125 front coilovers. Nfab front bumper with KC apollo lights, bed lights, bluesea systems fuse box....lots of painted stuff.
    No... I did...just not tight enough.. only took me 20 minutes to swap the clock spring out last night.

lo2hi and Crom[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jul 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    Previous: 2006 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner: 2010 4Runner sr5 Rims, TSB rear leafs, Wetokole neoprene seat covers, JVC LED color matched head unit, scanguage II, Flowmaster 40 cat back exhaust, hankook dynapro atm tires, Class 4 Uhaul Hitch. Kicker 12 inch sub and amp. Focal speakers. jba offroad UCAs.. Detroit truetrac rear end... bilstein 5100 rear and 6125 front coilovers. Nfab front bumper with KC apollo lights, bed lights, bluesea systems fuse box....lots of painted stuff.
    Hey all.. the part number for that bolt is 90119-A0137
    BOLT, W/W
    $8.69 a piece...

lo2hi and Crom like this.
  8. Jul 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Homey sells grade 8 and 10.8, so you shouldn't have to worry about replacing it if you bought one or the other...

Save the $8.69 that Toyota wants, it is a rip off price....

9. Jul 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    I bought 2 just in case I snap one now or when I replace the rack in XX amount of miles....

And 8.69 is expensive yes.... but at least I didn't have to spend 8 dollars in shipping a bolt or driving to 7 different hardware stores to find one...

Was just trying to help some people out...

Crom likes this.
  10. Aug 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    Received bolts from toyota... TOO SHORT... ???

Found what I need on the Fastenal website. Grade 10.

11. Aug 21, 2016 at 4:17 PM
    Hojae84

Hojae84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bedford NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb 4x4 sr5
    Curtis home pro, front rear cameras, side blind spot cameras and more
    My matchmarks from rack to lower shaft rubbed off when I separated them :mad:
    Have no idea how to line up the lower shaft to rack... would someone be super kind and take a photo of where the rack and lower shaft meet when steering in centered so I can have some sorta reference point on how I should join them? Ido probably guess based on which way the bolt faces in relation to the rack.. or anyone have the answer or know a way I can align the splines ? Bahh:confused: thanks in advance.

12. Aug 21, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    Hojae84

Hojae84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bedford NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb 4x4 sr5
    Curtis home pro, front rear cameras, side blind spot cameras and more
    Match or alignment marks must have disappeared cos I sprayed with rust penetrating fluid as was siezed.. and was handling it alot

13. Aug 22, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    The bolt on the clamp side lines up to the flat side of each portion of the shaft.. just gotta keep turning it and wiggling till it goes in...

I did it with 2 people.. one under the truck.. the other on the side.

A small extendy mirror works well for this too

14. Sep 26, 2016 at 6:43 AM

327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Covington, LA
    Vehicle:
    Former 06 TRD Sport Silver Current 06 Sport 4Runner

So I replaced my hub/bearings over the weekend and my steering issue is gone. I guess I didn't realize how bad my bearings were. Just posting this in case anyone else has had similar issues and looking for a solution.

lo2hi and Crom like this.
  15. Oct 10, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    njcoma

njcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    California
    Vehicle:
    Curiousity bump.. how many miles on your 06? Mine just ticked 100k.. been looking into some jersey built hub assemblies...would rather just do the whole thing..

16. Oct 11, 2016 at 6:44 AM

327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Covington, LA
    Vehicle:
    Former 06 TRD Sport Silver Current 06 Sport 4Runner
    Somewhere around 174,xxx. I've read around on the boards that the bearings are normally toast way before my mileage. I have had stock/oem wheels and only slightly heavier tires than stock for most of the truck's life, so maybe that contributed to them lasting as long as they did?

17. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM
    mauigrown

mauigrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DCSB TRD sport
    So I did this project today took about 6 hours with a help of a friend. Extra hands helps a lot. Did not cut the driver side bolt. Pull the passenger side bolt out and driver side bolt as much as you can. Tilt the rack towards front bumper and wiggle the rack back and forth left to right while pulling the drive bolt out. Driver bolt will clear ac condenser just enough to slide out. It a tight fit but it worked for me. Reverse process to install rack to get the driver bolt to clear ac condenser. Extra hands really come in handy.

lo2hi, Crom, FARNORCAL and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mar 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Easy way I see tow companies securing the steering wheel is to put the seat belt through the bottom of the steering wheel and then buckle it. Works great. On a very stupid on me note. I replaced my steering bushings last week. I highly recommend removing the outer part of the old bushing too. Makes putting the new bushing in so much easier and with the old outer part of the bushing in place, you can't get it tight enough to the frame to stop the rack from moving. Trust me. Let my stupidity on this one be your lesson.

19. Apr 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Ill add a couple tips here for how it went for me (and it didnt go very smooth!)

1. First thing i did was broke the intermediate steering shaft bolt loose, while i could steer it to an angle i could actually access the bolt. Left it in there, snug, but not tight so that when i had the wheels straight i could back it out much easier, whichever way it was pointed.
    2. I did manage to get the driver's main bolt out without cutting or removing the condenser, but it took alot longer. rolled the rack forward as mentioned in this thread, and found a little spot that worked. I did, however, have to cut it to get it back in. I didnt want to put the bolts in upside down, i knew i would just worry about that as i drove around.
    3. i took the outer tie rods off of the rack to make getting the rack out of the truck easier (the whole thing is shorter then). Getting it out was probably the hardest part of the job for me!
    4. Instead of paint marking the outer tie rods, just count the number of turns till they come off and save that for re-installation. Then you don't have to worry about the marks rubbing off.
    5. The inner power steering fluid connection (the one toward the middle of the truck) would not spin freely on the line, it was seized up or something. Not sure if that was my truck only, or other people's too, but it made me really take my time to ensure i didnt cross thread the connection on re-installation.
    6. Try to keep the PS fluid contained. Maybe wrap a bag around the hose ends or something. I didnt, and had fluid everywhere because every time i would move the hose, more fluid would drip out. Eventually there was fluid everywhere which just makes things tougher.

Took me at least 8 hours, half of which was spent getting the driver's bolt out and getting the rack out of the truck.

lo2hi, Crom and deeezy like this.
  20. Apr 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    Arpatton86

Arpatton86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario Canadia
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OFF-ROAD OV TUUUUNED
    I'm planning on changing out the bushings on my rack and pinion next weekend. Where is everyone getting them from? I can't find them on wheelers website and I've already tried looking on Amazon.

Products Discussed in

To Top