1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'06 Double: factory sub to custom sub --worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BenWA, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausium--and I apologize if it has--but nothing came up in a search to answer my specific question.

I have the "premium" JBL audio sys in my '06 DoubleCab with the factory powered sub behind the rear seat. For those who have made the upgrade to a *real* sub with custom enclosure, has it been worthwhile in terms of the increase in sound quality? There's not a lot of volume (as in cubic feet, not decibels) back there, and I don't know how good those thin, low-volume, low-clearance custom sub boxes sound.

Any thoughts? I'm not looking for mega boomin' system, just some low end that is a little louder and more resonant throughout all the frequencies than the factory sub delivers (factory sub distorts and sounds lousy at various frequencies). I just don't want to drop the $$$ if the improvement is going to be marginal.

Thoughts?

Feel free to direct me toward other threads that may have answered this already. Cheers!

2. Feb 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    I think it's worth it to put an aftermarket sub in. I put a 10" sub and enclosure in and it is much better than the JBL was. With enough power to the aftermarket sub you will be happy. Lookup Mr. Marv, he is knowledgable about this stuff and can steer you in the right direction.

3. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Thanks for the reply. I will give Marv a call.

Did your upgrade only replace the factory sub or did you change out the whole system?

I'm also curious about tying in a new aftermarket amp (to power an aftermarket sub) to the existing factory amp. I assume that factory amp behind the rear seat powers all the speakers, not just the factory sub (judging by the number of bundled and harnessed wires plugged into it). Am I correct in that assumption? If so, does anyone (i.e., Crutchfield) make any kind of a splice adapter harness kit that intercepts the input wires that go into the factory sub such that it can also direct the non-amplifed signal to a new aftermarket sub amp??

Thanks for any tips.

4. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    Yes, I changed my entire system. I did use the stock speaker locations for my aftermarket speakers though to keep a stealth look.:)

As far as utilizing the existing amp and tying in an aftermarket amp I believe that it can be done. I know the existing amp powers all the speakers in the JBL system. I don't know exactly what you would need to do in order to add another amp though since I completely gutted my JBL system to put my all my equipment in.:(

5. Feb 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I left you a message earlier and in case you didn't get it you can call me at the number below. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top