1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 Frame boxing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yotawv, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    FFBlack

FFBlack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD
    Yeah damn shitty Toyota trying to warranty a rusted frame on a 12 to 13 year old truck and not wanting to swap your lift free of charge. What a bunch of assholes.:jerkoff: I had a 10 year old Ford truck the frame rotted thrue, you know what I got from Ford, :brianr: jack shit that's what. Take your free frame and count your blessings and man up , if you got to swap your lift big fkn deal do it and move on.

Sub_Par, WNYTACOMA, Jester243 and 7 others like this.
  2. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Right.... go find some steelie rims for 100 bucks, and a set of the shittiest used tires that fit the rims so you can drive your stock truck home and then put your shitty drop bracket lift back on.

Refuses a free frame... jezus christ.

3. Mar 20, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    Yotawv

Yotawv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    I never cussed Toyota for giving out frames. I cussed the techs for their shotty work and headache of checking them :crapstorm:

4. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    2Sheds

2Sheds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Skook,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    '09,V6,Manual,SR5,TRD Sport,Magnetic Gray
    Have you asked your dealer how many frames they have done and how long they are taking? Some dealers are better than others and have done so many they are less likely to screw up. There are some dealers who don't like to do them. Do you know anyone who had a frame replaced by this dealer? I have an '09 and they told me it has a small hole but not bad enough come back in 9 months to a year and we will get you a new frame. He said they have done many and like to do them. I also know a guy had his done there no problems. I will eventually get a new frame from them and i am not worried about them fucking it up. Since one of your concerns is the competence of the techs to perform the frame swap you may want to research that aspect of it to ease your mind. Find the best dealership and take that new frame. Good luck.

Yotawv[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Sorry to jump in but you asked what others would do, and now you have heard what others will do and you just fight it. Most of us would get a new frame, if you are hell bent on fixing it yourself then fix it yourself. If you were so afraid of the dealer why did you even seek the frame replacement in the first place. And why would let them do it IF they install the lift, at that point you arent afraid to let them take apart the whole truck? Your logic just doesn't make sense to most of us, no reason to get upset about it when you asked for opinions. If it was my truck I would get the frame and box it too

akkyle likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    EnonEye

EnonEye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    O-H-I-O
    Vehicle:
    Silver '06 DCSB TRDPreRunner Off-Road/ Tow package
    :popcorn:Do it. Take a look at a couple pics where the frames have snapped and imagine yourself ejected into the air as you swear you're gonna get right on fixin that rotten frame. Not worth it.

Yotawv[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    Yotawv

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    I didn’t ask what others would do, I asked for pics and tips of frame beef ups and fixes

8. Mar 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I think this post most clearly conveys your concerns. Most of your previous posts sounded like you were going to pay someone to put the DB on the new frame. This is where much of the confusion came from.

akkyle and Yotawv[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  9. Mar 20, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    A new frame and then plate would be beefing. In my opinion boxing a rusted out frame is just a band aid. Again just opinions though and most of us do what we want, I am not much to talk because here is my frame :oops: 100% rust free if anyone needs the rear section of a 1st gen lol

Bobcdn and Yotawv[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  10. Mar 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    As a majority of members in this thread have already said: DO THE FRAME REPLACEMENT.

If you have the capability to box a rotted frame, you have the capability to reinstall your lift on the new frame. Get a set of cheap $100 OEM wheels/tires, and get the frame replaced. Once the frame is replaced, spend the next couple weekends installing your lift on a secure foundation of a new frame, not one that looks like Swiss cheese.

Human nature is loss adverse. You've already put a ton of sweat equity into the current set up and don't want to go through it again, which is why you want Toyota to install your lift on the new frame. Toyota said no, but you have to think long term; It is better to reinstall your lift on your new frame than just being content on your current set up and have in the back of your mind "I'll fix it later myself." The "I'll fix it later myself" won't work once your truck has folded in half going over a set of railroad tracks.

Yotawv[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    Yotawv

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    No I’ve not had the concern of the lift installation since I got my garage and my setup. Now if you talked me when the recall was first announced yeah I was going to have to pay someone. Not due to lack of capability but lack of a place to do it and equipment. I’ve got a Lincoln 210 at that house that will weld anything I want now and a garage to do it in.

Where everyone came up with this concern for my capability wasn’t thru myself or atleast wasn’t my idea to convey things that way. Little misinterpretation that grenaded.

What my concern was is all I’ve previously stated. Their competence, their lack of on their end and my headaches fixing and hunting down things they leave out. It’s like finding needles in hay stacks what they left out.

I was simply inquiring on hey let me see some pics of some frames boxed up and fixes. But just like on the construction sites one guy misreads something and woah were completely in another discussion completely away from what i wanted to begin with lol

12. Mar 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    O.P, you got all the answers and everything you need,good luck on your frame restore.

Pigpen and vssman like this.
  13. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    Vereor_Nox

Vereor_Nox Fumblerooski

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport

I don't understand why you are bashing dealer mechanics when 90%+ are actually good mechanics. I guarantee you would fuk something up before they did.

Since you're a master fabricator, I say fix it yourself and post up a build thread:sawzall:

14. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    Yotawv

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    Master fabricator, nice. Must of actually caught the eye of a dealer mechanic on this one.

Let’s put it this way, the very few times I’ve let the dealer do things they forget bolts, nuts, caps, etc. Here recently I just redid both my 3rd member and front differential, had no bolts missing, nothing stripped out or that I had to replace other than what was actually replacing and why? Because I did it myself, it’s my vehicle and I actually care about it. I’m not a mechanic in a shop making X amount of dollars to work on someone else’s vehicle I don’t care about. It has nothing to do with being a “master” anything. It has to do with the give a shit of the person doing the work. Same thing anywhere, I run into it all the time in my line of work. “It’s not mine so fck it” attitude.

I might possibly fuck something up but I’ll make it right. I won’t send it down the road saying aw well that bolt didn’t matter. He doesn’t need it anyhow :crazy:

T@co_Pr3runn3r likes this.
  15. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Solution: Get new frame, with the time you save cutting out rusty spots and putting in new metal, inspect the technician's work. Then get rid of your lift, still with free time left over from not repairing the frame, cut where you need to, get a decent 2.5-3" suspension lift and stuff those 35's - better handling and performing truck! If you're going to tear down your whole truck, why don't you just do it to inspect the dealer's "shoddy" work rather than repair a rusty frame? And I'm in agreement with guys on here saying yes dealer mechanics may suck sometimes (been there myself), but no one in their right mind would assign a chump to replace a frame since they'll have to cut away from paid hours to redo stuff if mistakes are made.

kryten and Yotawv[OP] like this.
  16. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Reading this thread is pissing me off

Do it right the first time you say?? Get rid of that piece of shit drop bracket and get a 3” lift.

Turns down 12k dollar frame because a 1k drop bracket lift. Makes a lot of sense bro....

kryten likes this.
  17. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Yotawv

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    Don’t read it then, no skin off my back. I asked simply for pics and tips of boxed frames. Not input on whether I should take a frame or not, nor if you like a lift I have. It was no where near a 1k lift either. But I don’t care what you think makes sense BRO, it’s my truck and I’ll box, build, or replace what I want how I want. Just like all of you do to your own without someone telling you your shits dumb.

I just wanted to see builds. Bottom line. Shit got blown way out of proportion about skills, lifts, frames Etc.

18. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    OP Calm. Down.

Just because you asked something doesn't mean there isn't a better solution to what you are trying to accomplish. These is an extremely helpful group of people here that want to see your truck live for a long time and not turn into a rusty pile of scrap like it will if you keep that frame.

19. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    Yotawv

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    Hell I’m calm, it’s just the dumb replies like that I can do without. Giving better option is one thing, acting that way is another. I see some things on here and smh but I don’t make comments like that to anyone on their stuff.

Back to the group as a whole when my 3rd member blew apart they were very helpful in steering me to ECGS and I thank them for that.

It’s like hell I don’t care who like the lift on my truck, it suits me and has never caused me an issue. I don’t need some jack wagon telling me his opinion on it unless I ask. Just as I wouldn’t give them mine unless they asked about their truck.

But again back to what I originally asked for in this thread. I got one legit answer being the first one turning me onto a couple builds the rest has been repeat after repeat of the same crap that I didn’t ask for.

20. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    I changed my mind. OP, under no circumstances should you allow the dealership to give you a new frame. Wrap that bitch in aluminum foil and ride on. It'll work out just the way you expect.

Snowy, kryten and Yotawv[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top